Apple releases cheaper iMac

Ate

mobile i5?

It's a mobile cpu lol. Apple can't even have desktop grade cpus in a 1100$ computer with external power supply.

laptop chips

I've seen mobile chips having a higher base clock than this thing.

Because the cost difference between those processors is ~$110?

110$ =/= 200$ and 110<200 in my book. It's little more than half.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Who cares if it's a feat of engineering? For use it makes 0 difference, if you want to save desk space use an itx case and motherboard and slap it under your monitor. In fact it's worse because you can't upgrade it. In no way does that justify paying it more than twice as much. And I can easily buy a great 21.5" or even bigger ips monitor for 200$. Buying that AIO and justifying its absurd price with aesthetics and "engineering" is downright stupid.

I never mentioned "gaming" pcs, I could build a pc with the exact performance of that imac for 600$ less. Maybe other, higher end macs make some sense, but most definitely not this one. That's what i paid for MY rig when i first got it plus my monitor, and MY pc has an i7 2600 (which was new when I got it and destroys that dual core 1.4ghz i5 twice in every possible way).

Would that PC be as compact? Would it use as little power as the iMac? How is the heat generation and dissipation handled? Would it run OS X as well? Would it have equally good build quality warranty and tech support?

I've seen mobile chips having a higher base clock than this thing.

ultrabook chips then, exactly the same processor found in macbook air

That's honestly not a bad price at all considering you get an amazing monitor and decent hardware for the price

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Jump off your high-horse... so what if you could build a PC for the same price that is better, will it have the excellent Apple warranty or the aluminium design and be as thin?. You are comparing a tower desktop PC to an AIO with mobile parts... while I am not an Apple fan their formula works.

Yeah, it works, as in it sells way more than it has any right to. What precisely is the difference to the user if it's an AIO or an itx low profile case that sits under your monitor?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

110$ =/= 200$ and 110<200 in my book. It's little more than half.

You're not the one putting the system together in an AIO, so it's not just a straight cost. Apparently there's a market for i7s in little iMacs, and some people are willing to pay that premium. I can't understand people that are bothered by this.

Would that PC be as compact? Would it use as little power as the iMac? How is the heat generation and dissipation handled? Would it run OS X as well? Would it have equally good build quality warranty and tech support?

Yes (mini itx and slap it under your monitor), yes, stock cooler (which I'd imagine for THAT cpu could easily be passive), yes, yes if you know who to buy from.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You're not the one putting the system together in an AIO, so it's not just a straight cost. Apparently there's a market for i7s in little iMacs, and some people are willing to pay that premium. I can't understand people that are bothered by this.

I just said it sucks for the price, then someone replied it doesn't and that's the right price for it. I pointed out that it's not even close to the right price. It's not just an Apple thing, if you're going to make me pay almost twice as much for hardware I won't buy it from you.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, it works, as in it sells way more than it has any right to. What precisely is the difference to the user if it's an AIO or an itx low profile case that sits under your monitor?

Maybe the user wants to be on the right side of the law and not use a hackintosh? Maybe they want a warranty and support from Apple? Maybe they prefer not having cluttered desks?

I just said it sucks for the price, then someone replied it doesn't and that's the right price for it. I pointed out that it's not even close to the right price. It's not just an Apple thing, if you're going to make me pay almost twice as much for hardware I won't buy it from you.

Hardware is just part of the cost. Not everyone is able to build their own PCs. When it comes to small compact builds, thing become even more complicated. Not everything in computing is purely about performance per dollar.

You claimed they could easily put a better processor in it? That's a better processor, I never said that was the one they used. 

Also what desktop runs off battery? Where the hell do you live? 

It's a freaking laptop cpu in a computer than is not a laptop, do you need me to draw it for you? They have way better mobile processors than this one you know, in fact they use them on higher end imacs. For 300$ more at the very least of course.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Haters at it again. Sure, I would never buy an iMac myself, either. It's stupid to try and compare an iMac to a gaming PC. If you are not a gamer and just need something compact that works, then iMacs probably make better sense.

listen to this guy

Maybe the user wants to be on the right side of the law and not use a hackintosh? Maybe they want a warranty and support from Apple? Maybe they prefer not having cluttered desks?

It's not illegal to have a hackintosh. Feel free to pay twice as much for your stuff, personally if I can ditch my full computer and buy it again and still pay lless money I don't really need more than 3 years of warranty, which most hardware manifacturers are willing to give.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

There isn't any point to get a cheap iMac. Since the thing is a AIO system, you're stuck with a crappy screen the duration of the machine. If you connect a better display, you're missing the point of having an AIO in the first place. May as well mount a Mac Mini to the back of a good monitor.

This isn't even a "haters gonna hate" shitpost. It's the same concept for an AIO PC running Windows. If you're settling for a sub-par screen, the rest of the hardware means jack all.

Hardware is just part of the cost. Not everyone is able to build their own PCs. When it comes to small compact builds, thing become even more complicated. Not everything in computing is purely about performance per dollar.

Go to a local hardware vendor, give him 70 bucks and he'll mount your pc for you. snap. easy as pie and not more than twice as expensive. with computers it's EVERYTHING about performance per dollar unless you are running a server, in which case you will still not be buying this """"cheap"""" mac because its specs suck hard for server use.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You think it sells way more than it has the right to... you can't single handedly decide whether a product has the right to sell if people want a well built machine fo office work and general stuff then they usually buy a mac we are talking about the general consumer here not us.

Go to a local hardware vendor, give him 70 bucks and he'll mount your pc for you. snap. easy as pie and not more than twice as expensive. with computers it's EVERYTHING about performance per dollar unless you are running a server, in which case you will still not be buying this """"cheap"""" mac because its specs suck hard for server use.

hardware is just on part. what about the nice aluminum and premium feel that the imac have. And os x. for my parents and grandparents it is not all about best preformance per dollar

There isn't any point to get a cheap iMac. Since the thing is a AIO system, you're stuck with a crappy screen the duration of the machine. If you connect a better display, you're missing the point of having an AIO in the first place. May as well mount a Mac Mini to the back of a good monitor.

This isn't even a "haters gonna hate" shitpost. It's the same concept for an AIO PC running Windows. If you're settling for a sub-par screen, the rest of the hardware means jack all.

Does the iMac screen sucks? seems OK when I've seen it.

I'd rather get that new barebone Zotac Zbox with that nvidia mobile gpu and slap it behind a bigger better monitor than this. At least i can add more ram,change to bigger hdd and add an msata ssd for that added performance and upgradability without even voiding the warranty. If that things works perfectly,why do you even care about going to customer service? How long is the standard imac warranty anyways? 1 year?

You think it sells way more than it has the right to... you can't single handedly decide whether a product has the right to sell if people want a well built machine fo office work and general stuff then they usually buy a mac we are talking about the general consumer here not us.

The general consumer for office work is more than fine with a 300$ prebuilt generic pc bought at a retailer. they certainly don't have any reason to spend 1100$ on a mac, especially with those terrible specs. a desktop grade pentium is probably faster than that i5. Those who buy a mac for pure office work don't know anything about tech and assume more expensive and shiny = better, even if they don't know why they just think it will be generally faster and do things better. There is no reason to spend twice as much for the same hardware, no matter what you use it for. you're right, I can't decide if it has a right to sell or not, tht might have been inappropriate, but hey, I don't believe anyone should buy it, for their own good. Ok, it's my opinion, and I should have said so.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

hardware is just on part. what about the nice aluminum and premium feel that the imac have. And os x. for my parents and grandparents it is not all about best preformance per dollar

All right, let your relatives be ripped off because they like aluminium and "premium feel" (a good 40$ case can feel just as premium but that's just my opinion). Your choice. Personally I'd never do that.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The general consumer for office work is more than fine with a 300$ prebuilt generic pc bought at a retailer. they certainly don't have any reason to spend 1100$ on a mac, especially with those terrible specs. a desktop grade pentium is probably faster than that i5. Those who buy a mac for pure office work don't know anything about tech and assume more expensive and shiny = better, even if they don't know why they just think it will be generally faster and do things better. There is no reason to spend twice as much for the same hardware, no matter what you use it for. you're right, I can't decide if it has a right to sell or not, tht might have been inappropriate, but hey, I don't believe anyone should buy it, for their own good. Ok, it's my opinion, and I should have said so.

have you ever used those specs