Take a look at the latest Steam Controller redesign

Misanthrope

Most of us remember the first iteration of the steam controller, which was certainly met with mixed opinions. I honestly was hardly impressed over it but the fact that they have a sort of dpad now seems like a definite improvement. I still think the jury is out on the touch pad thingie but this is something I much rather experiment with, although I'm sure most of you would feel the opposite and might even be disappointed at this redesign:

271963-h1.jpg

Here's a pic of the old design next to the new one:

h-noscale.jpg

Source:
http://www.destructoid.com/valve-shows-off-its-redesigned-steam-controller-271963.phtml

-------

Current Rig

-------

They added buttons huh  :lol:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

still dont think my hands will like it. but ill just have to wait till someone I knew gets one to palm it. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I haven't tried the first controller, but it still looks really weird... And it seems like they finally added enough buttons to play. I'll wait for the Xbox One controllers to get PC drivers and switch to them. To me, those round things look like eyes watching you..

they should change the layout of the trackpads to be diagonal from each other like an Xbox controller. That's a much better design.

I haven't tried the first controller, but it still looks really weird... And it seems like they finally added enough buttons to play. I'll wait for the Xbox One controllers to get PC drivers and switch to them. To me, those round things look like eyes watching you..

9Qy1N7k.jpg

-------

Current Rig

-------

Would've preferred to see the buttons on top and the touch pads below.

Now it just looks uncomfortable.

I haven't tried one, but it looks like the buttons/touch pads are within the same range of thumb motion as every other controller. In fact, it basically looks like a PS4 controller(layout-wise) with the touchpads/thumbsticks and buttons in the same exact spot, except switched.

I haven't tried one, but it looks like the buttons/touch pads are within the same range of thumb motion as every other controller. In fact, it basically looks like a PS4 controller(layout-wise) with the touchpads/thumbsticks and buttons in the same exact spot, except switched.

Thumbsticks are elevated so they're easier to reach. A thumbstick is also a single large unit not nearly as small as a regular button.

The X & > buttons are going to be more difficult to reach than a regular thumbstick.

it looks like Steam combined the Xbox 360 and PS3 controllers, but changed the analog sticks to touch pads

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

they should change the layout of the trackpads to be diagonal from each other like an Xbox controller. That's a much better design.

I hope it stays as it is. Basically inverted Playstation controller. I'm sorry, but I've never understood why people like the Xbox layout over the Playstation layout. 

I've used both extensively, and personally, I prefer Playstation a loooooot more than Xbox's layout. Symmetry is best, among other things, for me.

Would've preferred to see the buttons on top and the touch pads below.

Now it just looks uncomfortable.

I'm not sure. I kind of agree, but I think we'd have to hold it to know for sure.

This. It looks normal, but at the same time it doesn't. It's strange. I can't imagine how it'd feel to use it. 

Thumbsticks are elevated so they're easier to reach. A thumbstick is also a single large unit not nearly as small as a regular button.

The X & > buttons are going to be more difficult to reach than a regular thumbstick.

True, but the touch pads would be even more difficult to reach. They are indents. Concaved. So they are even less elevated (need a better way to say that) than the buttons. Plus, they are touch pads. You would want to use the tips of your thumbs to control them. That'd make it even worse to use in that area.

Get rid of the damn touchpads and add some freaking analog sticks and then it'll be perfect.

Not enough utility. A touch pad, depending on who designs for it, can do a lot more than a thumbstick ever could. It can act as a thumb stick, as a d-pad, as action (X, Y, etc) buttons, as a momentum switch (my favorite concept personally), etc. A thumbstick is a thumb stick.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not enough utility. A touch pad, depending on who designs for it, can do a lot more than a thumbstick ever could. It can act as a thumb stick, as a d-pad, as action (X, Y, etc) buttons, as a momentum switch (my favorite concept personally), etc. A thumbstick is a thumb stick.

Tactile feel trumps software any day of the week.

That, I don't get. What tactile feel? You mean the clicks from pushing the Thumbstick button? I'm sure the thing will feel weird without clicks at first, but I can only imagine it being a positive thing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

True, but the touch pads would be even more difficult to reach. They are indents. Concaved. So they are even less elevated (need a better way to say that) than the buttons. Plus, they are touch pads. You would want to use the tips of your thumbs to control them. That'd make it even worse to use in that area.

I absolutely agree but I think that valve clearly thinks the touch pads were not enough on their own so they added the regular buttons.

Which tells me a significant majority will actually use this controller just like the traditional console controllers, i.e. the touchpads will not be used as much as the regular buttons.

I like it personally. While the dualshock 4 actually innovated with new features the xbo controller was too classic. controllers need a re vamp and this is it.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

That, I don't get. What tactile feel? You mean the clicks from pushing the Thumbstick button? I'm sure the thing will feel weird without clicks at first, but I can only imagine it being a positive thing.

Clicky analog sticks are somewhat useful, at least you know it's a button. But being able to move the stick and know from feeling what you're doing makes a lot more sense in the brain. This will change as time passes and more people use this kind of design compared to older ones but for the time being I like to stick my fingers on some sticks... :P

I hope it stays as it is. Basically inverted Playstation controller. I'm sorry, but I've never understood why people like the Xbox layout over the Playstation layout. 

The thumbsticks being at the bottom and close together is extremely uncomfortable for people with bigger hands like me. The Xbox layout is a happy medium really, not uncomfortable for anyone as far as I've heard.

Valve will use haptic feedback that arguably all but replaces tactile feel of analog sticks. I'm largely skeptical of the results of using touchpads haptic feedback or not, but for some of the games on Steam which are traditionally mice based like RTS games, it might end up being better than a stick (although still a lot worst than a mouse though)

Again I'm skeptical about this haptic feedback stuff, but it is what Valve is pushing.

-------

Current Rig

-------