Take a look at the latest Steam Controller redesign

Misanthrope
Even though our limited internal play testing has been going really well, we're excited to get some feedback from our customers on these latest changes. 

For those of you able to attend GDC next week, please drop by our booth, as there will be some demo stations set up with the latest prototypes for play testing and feedback gathering. For those of you not able to attend GDC, for now we wanted to at least share a photo of the latest design changes: 

DOG_controller_MED.jpg

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Im happy that there is that glossy part to it, it looked bland before.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Slide, lift, slide, lift......

Aesthetics over functionality = Doomed to fail.

It definitely looks better and also layout of buttons is far better. I like the fact that they removed display and included more buttons.

But still... I have no idea how comfortable it is.

The thumbsticks being at the bottom and close together is extremely uncomfortable for people with bigger hands like me. The Xbox layout is a happy medium really, not uncomfortable for anyone as far as I've heard.

Ah, I have average hands I guess. One thing I dislike about the Xbox layout is that I can't press every button simultaneously.

Before you go, "Why the hell would you want to do that?", there are some games I get an advantage in because I can do that. Specifically hack and slash games like Kingdom Hearts (my preferred example) or when I need extra control in a racing game (pressing brake + emergency brake + acceleration + steering + changing view to watch surroundings + etc). And yes, I can do all that at once.

I often use my index finger to press the D-Pad while my thumbs use the thumb sticks and my other index finger presses the X, O, Square and Triangle buttons.

It's kinda crazy, I know, but I can't do that with an Xbox controller since I can't accurately control a thumb stick with my index finger and I'm not double jointed, so there's no way to use it like I do a Playstation layout controller.

There are other reasons, but that's the biggest one.

I bought a FFXIV controller that has the PS layout to use as my gamepad for my PC for that very reason.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

you havent even tried it... how do you know its going to slip out of your hands?

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

Don't know what you are talking about. That is one option for the touch pads, but there is the Slide, wait, slide, wait option too.

you havent even tried it... how do you know its going to slip out of your hands?

That's not what he means. He means how, when doing 1:1 stuff, you have to use it like a laptop touchpad. Move mouse, pick up finger, move mouse, pick up finger.

That's annoying enough on a laptop. It being on a gamepad would be terrible.

And that's why I said what I said above. There is a "slide, wait" option. Where it has zones on the touchpad so that you don't have to constantly pick up your finger. It's not 1:1. It's like a Thumbstick, but different.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

wtf is 2.0?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

pretty certain this has been posted a few hours ago

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Ah, I have average hands I guess. One thing I dislike about the Xbox layout is that I can't press every button simultaneously.

Before you go, "Why the hell would you want to do that?", there are some games I get an advantage in because I can do that. Specifically hack and slash games like Kingdom Hearts (my preferred example) or when I need extra control in a racing game (pressing brake + emergency brake + acceleration + steering + changing view to watch surroundings + etc). And yes, I can do all that at once.

I often use my index finger to press the D-Pad while my thumbs use the thumb sticks and my other index finger presses the X, O, Square and Triangle buttons.

It's kinda crazy, I know, but I can't do that with an Xbox controller since I can't accurately control a thumb stick with my index finger and I'm not double jointed, so there's no way to use it like I do a Playstation layout controller.

I bought a FFXIV controller that has the PS layout to use as my gamepad for my PC for that very reason.

Ah I see, quite the clever plan you have, I rarely use gamepads aha I mostly just play Fable Anniversary and a few SB games I have. I'm a big fan of mouse and keyboard so I may not be the right one to talk about gamepads ^-^

Only thing I wonder about this controller is, in the heat of the game when my hands get all sweaty will I still be able to use the pads?

When will they invent a controller with cooling built into it...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Careful there, you might not have healthy fingers left to call your doctor for your self inflicted finger damage.

-------

Current Rig

-------

My main reason why Xbox controllers are crap is this right here.

Only thing I wonder about this controller is, in the heat of the game when my hands get all sweaty will I still be able to use the pads?

When will they invent a controller with cooling built into it...

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Flo-Controller-PS3-Playstation-3/dp/B005764CWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394833948&sr=8-2&keywords=ps3+controller+with+fans

Air-Flo-PS3-Controller.jpg

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Sweet! Too bad I don't have a PS3 but if I ever get one I will look for one of these.

I thnk they have them for xbox to if you have one

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Careful there, you might not have healthy fingers left to call your doctor for your self inflicted finger damage.

Lol. I know. It sounds crazy, but I'm not stressing them when I do it. I just re-adjust to where my pinky presses L2, my ring finger presses L1, my middle finger isn't doing anything, and my Index finger can reach the entire D-pad easily. 

Normally I just have it shifted so my middle finger is on L1, my ring finger is on L2, my index finger can only easily reach the Up and Right D-pad buttons and my pinky is for grip. In Kingdom Hearts 1, you only need the Up and Right D-pad to do things on the Command Menu, so I could get by with that (more comfortable) setup. 

I'm the guy who "gets into" the games he plays. You know how people lean when they are turning in a race car game? I did that for every single game I played as a kid on Playstation. Crash Bandicoot, I'd be jumping around like Crash. Jak and Daxter/Ratchet and Clank, same thing. 

Because of that, I'm used to not holding the controller calmly as I play. So shifting between hand-holds is easy for me. I'm weird. I know.

My main reason why Xbox controllers are crap is this right here.

brothaaaa_design.png

† Christian Member †

I thnk they have them for xbox to if you have one

No, I'm afraid. I game on PC and prefer to use keyboard and mouse there. Well, I do have a Wii but since I'm already flailing my hands around with it nothing of the sort will be necessary. :)

I know it's possible I've seen people play guitar with their toes, but it's just not practical, it would be a lot better if the controller included more shoulder buttons and triggers instead. After all your thumbs are opposable but the rest of your fingers aren't.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No, I'm afraid. I game on PC and prefer to use keyboard and mouse there. Well, I do have a Wii but since I'm already flailing my hands around with it nothing of the sort will be necessary. :)

Well you could get this 

164153.jpgcooling-fan2.jpgtt-kb3.jpg

I'm talking about how you use it like a laptop touchpad.

Yes it has software that makes it perform a lot better but it's still a lot of unnecessary sliding and lifting of the fingers

to perform movements that a stick can do by simple pressing it in the direction you want to go.

It's designed to look cool, nothing more.

Well you could get this 

Thanks. I needed a new keyboard and mouse anyway. I'll see if I can find them for cheap.

Thanks. I needed a new keyboard and mouse anyway. I'll see if I can find them for cheap.

or this 

official_pic_2.jpg

I know it's possible I've seen people play guitar with their toes, but it's just not practical, it would be a lot better if the controller included more shoulder buttons and triggers instead. After all your thumbs are opposable but the rest of your fingers aren't.

... Are you talking about the Playstation controller or the Steam controller? 

The Steam controller has 1 extra set of buttons over normal controllers. It has trigger, shoulder, and grip buttons (the grip buttons being unique AFAIK). 

For using the PS controller as I do, it's practical for me (as I actively do it). My finger doesn't bend in an unnatural way to do it. It curls and moves inward (towards the middle finger) to press the buttons. 

That's entirely practical.

† Christian Member †