Take a look at the latest Steam Controller redesign

Misanthrope

... Are you talking about the Playstation controller or the Steam controller? 

The Steam controller has 1 extra set of buttons over normal controllers. It has trigger, shoulder, and grip buttons (the grip buttons being unique AFAIK). 

For using the PS controller as I do, it's practical for me (as I actively do it). My finger doesn't bend in an unnatural way to do it. It curls and moves inward (towards the middle finger) to press the buttons. 

That's entirely practical.

That's what I meant with the extra buttons on the back: the Steam controller grip buttons.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Is not fat, just healthily robust, like GabeN

Ok, it's GabeN fat. Holy GabeN fat.

Looks just like an xbox controller really, but I mean I guess that's ok since  why change something if it works well.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Looks just like an xbox controller really, but I mean I guess that's ok since why change something if it works well.

what? How is it like xbox? The reason they are changing it is to try and make games without controller support work well from the couch. Like RTS games. I reserve judgement until i can try it for myself.

Don't know what you are talking about. That is one option for the touch pads, but there is the Slide, wait, slide, wait option too.That's not what he means. He means how, when doing 1:1 stuff, you have to use it like a laptop touchpad. Move mouse, pick up finger, move mouse, pick up finger.That's annoying enough on a laptop. It being on a gamepad would be terrible.And that's why I said what I said above. There is a "slide, wait" option. Where it has zones on the touchpad so that you don't have to constantly pick up your finger. It's not 1:1. It's like a Thumbstick, but different.

I don't think it will work like that. Rather it will keep scrolling left until you move your finger back to the center. EXACTLY like a thumbstick

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I don't think it will work like that. Rather it will keep scrolling left until you move your finger back to the center. EXACTLY like a thumbstick

both Those ways are possible with this controller. That's a software level decision so i suppose devs can decide What works best for their game.

Then you didn't watch the demo of the original.

both Those ways are possible with this controller. That's a software level decision so i suppose devs can decide What works best for their game.

This.^ It's up to the one who makes the game. For 1:1 movements, it will work like a laptop touchpad. For constant movements, it will work like a thumbstick (except you don't have to move your thumb back to the center, just picking it up automatically does that). Then there's the new Momentum Switch. Which is freaking awesome.

We should just all just go back to the gamecube controller!

This.

No really. I loved that controller.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Really want to try it. Could be awesome as a universal controller for all my emulators.

Then you didn't watch the demo of the original.

This.^ It's up to the one who makes the game. For 1:1 movements, it will work like a laptop touchpad. For constant movements, it will work like a thumbstick (except you don't have to move your thumb back to the center, just picking it up automatically does that). Then there's the new Momentum Switch. Which is freaking awesome.

This.

No really. I loved that controller.

I was aware that its up to the developer, i just meant that a developer with half a brain will implement it the way i described it

I was aware that its up to the developer, i just meant that a developer with half a brain will implement it the way i described it

Hmm, no. I disagree. 

Each form has different utilities. Thumbstick version covers the most things, but momentum switch has huge potential and 1:1 has unique uses. 

The point of the touchpad is to enable more unique uses than what a thumbstick is limited to. That way the only real limitation is the developer's imagination. Where they may come up with something even better for their game than any of those 3 choices.

If developers are smart, and I hope they are, we will see more uses out of the touchpad than the default thumbstick.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The Touch pads need to go.

Yes, let's just piss all over innovation and have another copy of the same damn thing

They added xbox buttons...

True, but they are in a different location. I don't think I've ever seen a mainstream controller with the buttons there.

† Christian Member †

If you guys have a 360 controller and a laptop, maybe you can do a bit of field testing: Try to play an RTS first with the 360 thumb sticks and then with the touchpad. I'm sure that while nowhere near as good as mouse controls touch pads would trump thumb sticks in this specific situation.

This being a PC Game controller needs to at least attempt to accommodate things like RTSes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hmm, no. I disagree. 

Each form has different utilities. Thumbstick version covers the most things, but momentum switch has huge potential and 1:1 has unique uses. 

The point of the touchpad is to enable more unique uses than what a thumbstick is limited to. That way the only real limitation is the developer's imagination. Where they may come up with something even better for their game than any of those 3 choices.

If developers are smart, and I hope they are, we will see more uses out of the touchpad than the default thumbstick.

Entirely agree with you. For some reason I can never post what I want to say. For fps and driving games the thumbstick "mode" would be perfect. But if you have ever tried using a mouse on a thumbstick u would know it's absolute crap and that a touchpad mode would be more suitable

i doubt there is any issues with the comfort, as thats easy enough to notice while making it :P but sure it wont be the same as others and that can be awkward at first.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

i doubt there is any issues with the comfort, as thats easy enough to notice while making it :P but sure it wont be the same as others and that can be awkward at first.

The one true enemy of Quick-time Events:

wiiu-pro.jpg

xbox-one-controller.jpg

Notice how the X and Y/A and B buttons are flipped between the two controllers. 

I pity anyone who would use both frequently. 

Also, HOLY CRAP, how did I not realize the Wii U has the same layout as the new Steam controller, effectively? Wow. I haven't played Nintendo in ages. No wonder.

† Christian Member †

Im still not sold on the whole touchpad thing, but i can understand why they are trying to do it.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

I don't think my hands would like it that much. I really like my Xbox 360 controller though. Fits PERFECT.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Doesn't change the fact we're still rubbing Lord Gaben's nipples 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Yes, let's just piss all over innovation and have another copy of the same damn thing

True, but they are in a different location. I don't think I've ever seen a mainstream controller with the buttons there.

People are always figuratively sucking the cocks of innovation but are swift to forget the quintessential thought that not everything that is new is good.

It's like people who praised the Wii on the wii-mote and motion controls, no, just no, bad, very bad, much bad...

People are always figuratively sucking the cocks of innovation but are swift to forget the quintessential thought that not everything that is new is good.

It's like people who praised the Wii on the wii-mote and motion controls, no, just no, bad, very bad, much bad...

Things that aren't made to solve a problem are probably going to be bad. i.e. Wii controllers. Trying to be innovative for no real reason and with no obvious goal.

The touch pads were made to solve the problem of playing an RTS with a gamepad, while also being able to play FPS and other games with the same gamepad in a logical way. 

This serves that purpose and does so well by putting it in the developer's hands. 

† Christian Member †