Linus and Firefox

2 hours ago, floofer said:

The episode was written by Riley, so it’s not from a well-informed perspective 

Damn. Roasted

i think it's because of the marketshare firefox has, the epic extention flop recently and because it's now seen as kind of a bloated slow browser by many including me. 

She/Her

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

i think it's because of the marketshare firefox has, the epic extention flop recently and because it's now seen as kind of a bloated slow browser by many including me. 

The extensions breaking certainly didn't help Firefox although it was fixed quickly, not sue how its bloated or slow compared to chrome as chrome uses much more ram. I've tried switching to chrome and didn't really notice a difference in speed.

I use Firefox, I use it so much all my systems do not have Chrome installed at all to begin with.

I really like Firefox and while it does it for me I won't drop it.

I don't care if whoever dislikes it, nitpicking people for their browser preference is even dumber than getting into a fight during a sports match with the rival fans.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing Chrome has anymore worthwhile is Chrome Remote Desktop. FF and Chrome are fairly indistinguishable feature and speed wise at the moment on modern PCs.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

On 5/21/2019 at 10:51 PM, Kuvesz said:

A lot of people are still faithful so to speak and it has become a lot better since the Quantum update. (Before that you had to do some real legacy bs)

I'm not really sure when it has gotten "worse" and I've been using it since beta versions of 1.0... So it wasn't the fastest in stupid useless synthetic benchmarks where Chrome reigned supreme. But on real actual webpages Firefox has always been faster. And as browser, it's just better.

Firefox is great. Made a couple jokes at its expense, because it's pretty much always been the "other" browser, even though it's reliable, feature-rich, and getting faster all the time. Not to mention it's run by people who actually seem to care about the web and open-source. 

I actually have been seriously considering switching to it, just to give Google one less thing. 

Anyways luv ya

14 minutes ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Firefox is great. Made a couple jokes at its expense, because it's pretty much always been the "other" browser, even though it's reliable, feature-rich, and getting faster all the time. Not to mention it's run by people who actually seem to care about the web and open-source. 

I actually have been seriously considering switching to it, just to give Google one less thing. 

Anyways luv ya

source.gif 

Firefox used to be the shit (back when it was IE and FF as the big daddy browser's) then it's slowly got a bit shit, yet still better than IE. During this chrome appeared out of nowhere and looked slicker/did things better/smoother/more than it. And for me it's never really recovered. Plus now my Google account is so convenient across platforms that I don't think I'll ever switch back. Chrome ftw. 

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

• 2 weeks later...

my problem is to many extensions do not want to download on my pc I am thinking this is because of linux though ?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

FireFox remains my primary browser of choice on my x86 machines, with the exception of a small period of time where it was a slow, bloated mess a few years ago. Currently, it runs quite nicely, even on my Atom machines (including the one with 2 GB of RAM).

On Android however, for some reason, it runs quite slow and scrolling runs at a consistently lower framerate than Chromium-based Samsung Browser. Whether it's the software itself, or the oddball cpu architecture within the Snapdragon 821, it just does not feel good to read and scroll through, and battery life takes a notable hit as well. Which is a massive shame as I really love the UI far more so than anything Chromium-based. But, as I tend to read and scroll simultaneously (I'm a fast reader, and even a 5" device is quite small to keep up with me), smooth, consistent scrolling is very important (to myself) for a reasonable experience, and of all the browsers I've tried (I've tried a very many), the Samsung Browser runs the best for my particular device/config.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

FireFox remains my primary browser of choice on my x86 machines, with the exception of a small period of time where it was a slow, bloated mess a few years ago. Currently, it runs quite nicely, even on my Atom machines (including the one with 2 GB of RAM).

On Android however, for some reason, it runs quite slow and scrolling runs at a consistently lower framerate than Chromium-based Samsung Browser. Whether it's the software itself, or the oddball cpu architecture within the Snapdragon 821, it just does not feel good to read and scroll through, and battery life takes a notable hit as well. Which is a massive shame as I really love the UI far more so than anything Chromium-based. But, as I tend to read and scroll simultaneously (I'm a fast reader, and even a 5" device is quite small to keep up with me), smooth, consistent scrolling is very important (to myself) for a reasonable experience, and of all the browsers I've tried (I've tried a very many), the Samsung Browser runs the best for my particular device/config.

I used Samsung Browser, it was great, after that I've tried Kiwi which was less good but still pretty darn good and now I'm on Firefox on android as well. I agree, it's slower on my SD 835, but ever since I decided to ditch Chrome I've been looking for an alternative or both desktop and mobile and I've decided to try one solution. There are apparently some multiprocessing config limitations that I've to try yet. What annoys me is that for some Chrome normal functions I have to use add-ons on Firefox and It can get annoying and slows the page loading.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 5/31/2019 at 9:46 AM, RILEYISMYNAME said:

Anyways luv ya

You should. Firefox is great. I've pretty much been using it where I can since 2004. Most recently having it on iOS is great. Plus it's got some good extensions, like one that stops Facebook tracking you across the internet via the like button & comment box plugins sites use.

I still use Chrome where I have to be logged into other things like my work account for Google+ etc. Which is a Gmail back end anyway. But I find Firefox still works the better out of both on both my Windows machines, my Mac & iPhone.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:30 PM, Kuvesz said:

Hi all!

First post here, registered because I was curious why Linus hates (has a dismissive attitude to be correct) Firefox so much? I mean do you guys think he actually used any Firefox version since 3.5 or something? I feel that since Quantum Firefox is an up to date viable browser and basically the last major one that uses Gecko and not WebKit or Blink (which is a fork of WebKit and is used by google).

I would really love to see a video from LTT actually trying out all major browsers on desktop and mobile (well the actually good Firefox (Preview) for Android is still in very early beta but still) and actually taking a good look at what they can do and what they stand for (Like the pretty good privacy aspects of Firefox). This new Edge video was a good start I think, now it just needs to be made into a series. What do you guys think?

He does not hate firefox, he never said anything like that. He does not use it because it's unstabe (atleast for hem, not me).