Is Blizzard on suicide watch yet?

FIXXX

It does seem that Blizzard shifted from being a dev and consumer friendly company with a point of making great games - into a profit-oriented business with zero fraks to give about the long term viability and a focus on MAKE MORE MONEY THIS QUARTER. SHAREHOLDERS WANT MORE GROWTH. MORE!

It's like the husband that has to sell cocaine on the side to supplement his lower-than-usual income. Doesn't end well for anobody.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Um, don't forget they are Activision Blizzard. Activision, the company behind Call of Duty; aka the "shovel a shittier and shittier game out every year" - company. One of the companies that has loot boxes and DLC that give you different guns which are very often stronger than the base game stuff.

The execs behind that surely would poison Blizzard fully at some point.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Um, don't forget they are Activision Blizzard. Activision, the company behind Call of Duty; aka the "shovel a shittier and shittier game out every year" - company. One of the companies that has loot boxes and DLC that give you different guns which are very often stronger than the base game stuff.

The execs behind that surely would poison Blizzard fully at some point.

You would think that Activision would bank on the name of Blizzard, like a worse-off student learning from the good one. But it's vice versa - the good student becomes a shitty teenager that huffs glue under the desk.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

You seem to be missing a key point here. That they make insane money because people like their games. Where do you think the money comes from?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Where do you think the money comes from?

The mindless masses being manipulated by the thrill of opening loot boxes

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 hours ago, fasauceome said:

The mindless masses being manipulated by the thrill of opening loot boxes

I don't see it that way at all. For example, Hearthstone. You don't have to buy in, but you can if you like the expansion. The game's free to play, so if you put in a lot of hours, it makes sense to support what you enjoy playing by purchasing packs.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 hours ago, dizmo said:

I don't see it that way at all. For example, Hearthstone. You don't have to buy in, but you can if you like the expansion. The game's free to play, so if you put in a lot of hours, it makes sense to support what you enjoy playing by purchasing packs.

I think that's true, but I'm speaking more to the overwatch side of things, where there's a huge impetus to get loot boxes by the hundreds

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What was your trigger? Because you are pretty late to party. WoW in general (whole vanilla server controversy while back), Diablo 3 auction controversy. I had another, but lost it. In short, they aren't any better than the rest. They have some understanding on how to treat community, but thats about it. They have really good writing team, but that isn't enough. Since (I've been into HS and now OW) they know how to squeeze money. HS is free, but to keep yourself into game you either need to spend a game worth of money in a year for it or quit. I did that when they went for 4 expansions in year to way more. With OW they have great background story going on. But since its only being used to sell game and accessories to game, they are gonna keep it going like it was cheap soap opera.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That's how capitalism works, companies exist to make money and they therefore do what makes them the most money. They're hardly on suicide watch, they're still very profitable. Just because their products don't really cater to you anymore doesn't mean the company is suddenly unsuccesful.

Ryzen 2700, 16GB, GTX 1080, 1440p165hz

38 minutes ago, Lord Cluttermonkey said:

That's how capitalism works, companies exist to make money and they therefore do what makes them the most money. They're hardly on suicide watch, they're still very profitable. Just because their products don't really cater to you anymore doesn't mean the company is suddenly unsuccesful.

It's not exclusively about short-term profitability? Isn't it?

Game studios, even those with initially good releases - are disappearing, and that's not a rare occurrence.

But if you make a name for yourself (in a good way, of course) - that name itself will be enough advertising. But it's a stick with two edges. Once you start screwing up - that name can just as easily crucify projects if you don't keep the level of quality.

So suicide may not mean the imminent death of a game studio, but the consequences of the Activision purchase sure indicate a seriously low will to live and thrive in the long term.

2 hours ago, fasauceome said:

I think that's true, but I'm speaking more to the overwatch side of things, where there's a huge impetus to get loot boxes by the hundreds

IIRC you don't have to buy the loot boxes to get anything useful in the game though, isn't it all cosmetic?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, dizmo said:

IIRC you don't have to buy the loot boxes to get anything useful in the game though, isn't it all cosmetic?

It's all cosmetic and it still has the same effect. And yes, you can earn loot boxes by playing. It still hasn't kept them from making a killing off them.

Primary PC:

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It is all cosmetic.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

It's all cosmetic and it still has the same effect. And yes, you can earn loot boxes by playing. It still hasn't kept them from making a killing off them.

Ohhh I see. So you feel that you have the right to judge others by how they choose to spend their money. I see.

2 hours ago, Terryv said:

It is all cosmetic.

That's what I thought.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Ohhh I see. So you feel that you have the right to judge others by how they choose to spend their money. I see.

Well what I was getting at was that it's manipulative to sell loot boxes the way game corporations do, but sure, frame it like I'm blaming the consumer.

Primary PC:

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Well what I was getting at was that it's manipulative to sell loot boxes the way game corporations do, but sure, frame it like I'm blaming the consumer.

It's not really manipulative at all. You don't need the cosmetic items. If people feel they do, that's a personal problem.

You are blaming the consumer by calling them "mindless masses."

They have minds. They choose to use those minds to spend money on loot boxes. Just because you don't see the value, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Just now, dizmo said:

It's not really manipulative at all. You don't need the cosmetic items. If people feel they do, that's a personal problem.

You are blaming the consumer by calling them "mindless masses."

They have minds. They choose to use those minds to spend money on loot boxes. Just because you don't see the value, doesn't mean it's wrong.

There are reasons that loot boxes are getting banned in various countries. They truly are downright manipulative

Primary PC:

Here's a frank talk with a previous high-ranking Blizz employe, Mike Kerr, who openly called out Blizz on Twitter after the D:Immortal debacle. 

TLDListen: Blizz is doing badly atm because WoW isn't the ultimate cash cow it used to be, Overwatch is bleeding players to Fortnite, Heroes of the Storm wasn't the financial success they'd hoped it would be, and Activision is now using this to their fullest to do as much corporate takeover of Blizz as they can. Blizz higher-ups are completely separated from the rank & file, 3 out of 5 people (Pardo, Morrhaime, and Metzen) who were the cornerstones of Blizz from the beginning of the company are gone, and the company is exploiting fans-turned-workers even worse than is usual for the industry. Activision is essentially enforcing a "business over value" policy on them. 

As someone who's been a fan of Blizz for about 25 years now (starting with WarCraft 1), I wish all the old crew + the best of the new fans would team up in a new, smaller company, and just start making quality-focused games again. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:37 PM, fasauceome said:

What are you talking about? What impetus? It's just cosmetics in those lootboxes. 

It's the best of both worlds for the regular player, tbh. Idiots buy tons of cosmetic lootboxes, which have no effect on your game whatsoever, yet their money funds the game that you play and enjoy. Why would you be against that?

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

2 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

What are you talking about? What impetus? It's just cosmetics in those lootboxes. 

It's the best of both worlds for the regular player, tbh. Idiots buy tons of cosmetic lootboxes, which have no effect on your game whatsoever, yet their money funds the game that you play and enjoy. Why would you be against that?

The impetus is created by the trill of the opening. They give you loot boxes for normal play and advertise new skins on the main menu, and hook you on the excitement, same as gambling. It's the exact same as advertising for real world products. Although I truly believe that if there must be loot boxes, at least they're not gameplay changing. Not that I think blizzard doesn't work for their money, but loot boxes make such immense amounts of money for such a throwaway, basic practice.

Primary PC:

If you make easy money there's little impetus to be better at what you do creatively.

And if you're pushed by shareholders to do more money next quarter - would you do creative work - the same work you avoided doing? Or would you double-down on the same cash cows?.

1 minute ago, FIXXX said:

If you make easy money there's little impetus to be better at what you do creatively.

Kind of, at least I definitely see that with call of duty, a passionless franchise made out of microtransactions will other blizzard properties follow suit? Time will tell.

Primary PC:

The impetus is created by the trill of the opening. They give you loot boxes for normal play and advertise new skins on the main menu, and hook you on the excitement, same as gambling. It's the exact same as advertising for real world products. Although I truly believe that if there must be loot boxes, at least they're not gameplay changing. Not that I think blizzard doesn't work for their money, but loot boxes make such immense amounts of money for such a throwaway, basic practice.

A fool and his money are easily separated. That's how it's supposed to be. 

Also, the only thing Overwatch lootboxes and gambling have in common is that they're both based on RNG. Actual gambling hooks you in by dangling extremely lucrative rewards in front of your nose. Overwatch lootboxes give you some skins and voice lines that you can get by normal play anyway.

Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm are free to play, and they still enable you to get everything without paying a dime. Lootboxes there are fine because the devs have to make money somehow. 

It's not the company's fault if someone's parents haven't taught them impulse control. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

It’s like you don’t know that world of Warcraft is a subscription game with micro transactions and top on twitch. 

Blizzard is fine. Not to mention overwatch going strong still & everyone playing hearthstone on the toilet. As someone mentioned, activision and blizzard are the same company and activision not only makes call of duty but also candy crush: everyone over 35 years old’s favourite game. 

Whatever drama you heard about and want to amp up is redicilous. Diablo immortals isn’t the end of the company. Black ops not having campaign is not the end of the company. These are Fortune 500 companies. They know how to run a stable business and take several sizeable hits. (Of which they hadn’t experienced.)

To be honest I never liked them. From their games I was playing only Hearthstone which is free & liked it very much, but that game doesn't support 21:9 aspect ratio. I messaged them on Facebook several times about this issue. They completely ignored it. They didn't even bother to respond. However they were (probably still are) quite active there, posting new posts. I posted comment there too on their new posts, but again ignore. Checked their forum about 21:9 aspect ratio support request & not a single word about it from devs. After giving up on this & accepting that there won't be support for it, several months ago, I decided to request feature option: to permanently disable emotes. Game only had (and probably still has) ability to disable them manually on every match starting. Why I wanted to disable them? Because there are some kind of players in game where they mock on you with those emotes, they do it especially before winning with stupid emote like "hello". It's very frustrating sometimes when you lost 3-4 matches and on the top you get mocking. All I wanted just to disable this feature permanently. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be so hard for them to add it in options. Again I tried to reach Blizzard about this feature request and guess what - again complete IGNORING! Not even a single answer. So Blizzard are one of those companies who ignore people, doesn't bother to even answer. I have no respect to such company. I quit playing that game & currently enjoying other games from better developers, who at least answer to your replies.