Will LTT do a piece on the crazy failure rates of 2080 ti video cards?

Grimlakin

Or perhaps the question really should be.  CAN LTT do a piece on the crazy failure rates of the 208 TI cards?

I suspect that NDA precludes any real investigation on LTT's part...  and really between them and the OCP site that is oh so Hard I would half expect to see some good points brought up.   You clearly have the staff and expertise if not on hand on call.  

So Linus and crew....  will there be a story or can you only publish what Nvidia allows in this matter?  (Or is it not something you feel is core to LTT's goals.)

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Not really their kind of content. 

Check GamersNexus for that stuff. 

Adding to this, I can't imagine it would be in LTT's interest to speak in a largely speculative manner about what is an ongoing situation involving the graphics market's largest/most powerful actor.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Trying to get a company to say something about failure rates is like asking North Korea to back down on nukes. A better picture would be to get the cards that failed and analyze the cars to see what the problem really is.

However that sort of analysis requires a skillset that I don't feel the LMG staff has.

4 hours ago, TheSLSAMG said:

Adding to this, I can't imagine it would be in LTT's interest to speak in a largely speculative manner about what is an ongoing situation involving the graphics market's largest/most powerful actor.

Unfortunately. I feel like this is the case in many situations, either report and issue, or keep a sponsor.

It's also not really a case of crazy failure rates, GN and others have stated that most of the card suppliers have said it's still within their usual failure rate for new cards

Gaming Rig: Intel i5 8600k @ 5Ghz (-1 AVX) 1.325v - MSI Z370 Gaming M5 mobo - MSI GTX1070 Gaming 8GB - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2600MHz 4x8GB - CM ML240L RGB 240mm AIO - 240GB NVME, 480GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, 1TB HDD - Corsair RM750x PSU - Silverstone PM02

Media Server: Intel G4400 - MSI Z270 Gaming Plus - 4GB RAM - 600GB WD Raptor - 10TB RAID5 - CM HAF932

Surface Pro 4: Intel i7 6650U - 8GB RAM - 256GB SSD

Dell Latitude E6530: Intel i7 3520M - 8GB DDR3 - Nvidia NVS 5200M 1GB - 300GB HDD

NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ v2 4TB 

Seems like normal rma rate. Doesn’t need to be covered. Half bad, half user error. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

Seems like normal rma rate. Doesn’t need to be covered. Half bad, half user error. 

i feel like with the ease of the internet access these days that more and more people can jump on and say "wow look my stuff is broken" and it's really commonly painted pictures of issues being more widespread than they are. Not even related to GPUs or anything, its just something i've noticed in general

20 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Unfortunately. I feel like this is the case in many situations, either report and issue, or keep a sponsor.

Keeping a sponsor is nothing to do with it. I just haven't seen any evidence to suggest this is some kind of widespread issue. 

Retailers and partners would be the ones I'd be watching and so far not a peep. 

Bad units happen, and even if your RMA rate was 2-3% (typical for video cards from my experience), if you sell a million units, thats tens of thousands of returns. Doesn't mean there's anything unusual happening.. 

On 11/23/2018 at 3:36 PM, Grimlakin said:

Or perhaps the question really should be.  CAN LTT do a piece on the crazy failure rates of the 208 TI cards?

I suspect that NDA precludes any real investigation on LTT's part...  and really between them and the OCP site that is oh so Hard I would half expect to see some good points brought up.   You clearly have the staff and expertise if not on hand on call.  

So Linus and crew....  will there be a story or can you only publish what Nvidia allows in this matter?  (Or is it not something you feel is core to LTT's goals.)

All cards have some failure rate which is associated with them because failure is possible although some factors of their manufacturing process can impact their rate of failure. I know that there have been some failed units of the RTX 2080 Ti although it would be hard to actually test and I do not think that Nvidia would want to sponsor that so, it would also be very costly to do. Usually, there is a warranty to some extent and protection plans, so if you are planning to buy one then you may want to consider factoring that in based on studies which actually show that certain models are proven to fail more although this is not an experiment which has been done on all GPUs.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

Watch Gamers Nexus video about it.  RMA rate is not abnormal.

Fake news.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

53 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Bad units happen, and even if your RMA rate was 2-3% (typical for video cards from my experience), if you sell a million units, thats tens of thousands of returns. Doesn't mean there's anything unusual happening..

It might be useful to make a video about this, not just about RTX, but about the fact that bad units happen etc.

Should be implied. If you are old enough to purchase stuff, you should understand a little how the world works.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

it's not a wide spread issue, but since it's the first time we have a 1200 Ti card and it happens to run into some problems, people feel entitled to not have a brick. It was impressive how it garnered so much attention, and if anyone believed it was a major issue, they got fake news'd :), though i'd be paranoid too if i had a 0818 FE card.

If you don't wanna look it up, take this with a grain of salt. t came down to a bad first batch of nvidia pcbs that mostly affected FE cards and a small portion of partner cards that used said pcb. The problem was narrowed down to a likely ram-related defect that's now likely fixed. Issues that did not involve space invaders appearing on screen were most likely one and done.

Some cards that were tested were sent in for driver issues (basically false positives), the 2 main driver issues are still present to-date, flickering on multi-monitor, and bsods when running g-sync with specific monitors.

If we take into account that a decent number of people likely sent in cards for rma for the multi-monitor and gsync issues also, the actual number of space-invader cards have to be exceptionally low, and mostly limited to FE.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

On 11/24/2018 at 3:13 PM, LinusTech said:

Keeping a sponsor is nothing to do with it. I just haven't seen any evidence to suggest this is some kind of widespread issue. 

Retailers and partners would be the ones I'd be watching and so far not a peep. 

I know this may seem anecdotal, and it is in large part.  But over on a different forum and site the site owner has had two fail back to back while one remains good.  Many are reporting they are seeing multiple failures within days/weeks of getting RMA's, and many are reporting RMA's as well.  (of course forums are the outliers.)  But retail outlets are being told to keep quiet about the return rates.   One shared experience is that a Microcenter store had stacks of returned 20xx series cards for being faulty behind a counter.  Guest asked about them and learned from a manager they are seeing failure/swap/refund rates easily over 20% for the 20XX series of cards.

I find that interesting, while it is anecdotal I udnerstand that you would need to have some other form of proof to act.    Question though.... have your team been actively using the 20xx series cards in gaming and in a always on system?   Any failures or is all well?   Just curious. 

On 11/24/2018 at 4:30 PM, xg32 said:

it's not a wide spread issue, but since it's the first time we have a 1200 Ti card and it happens to run into some problems, people feel entitled to not have a brick. It was impressive how it garnered so much attention, and if anyone believed it was a major issue, they got fake news'd :), though i'd be paranoid too if i had a 0818 FE card.

If you don't wanna look it up, take this with a grain of salt. t came down to a bad first batch of nvidia pcbs that mostly affected FE cards and a small portion of partner cards that used said pcb. The problem was narrowed down to a likely ram-related defect that's now likely fixed. Issues that did not involve space invaders appearing on screen were most likely one and done.

Some cards that were tested were sent in for driver issues (basically false positives), the 2 main driver issues are still present to-date, flickering on multi-monitor, and bsods when running g-sync with specific monitors.

If we take into account that a decent number of people likely sent in cards for rma for the multi-monitor and gsync issues also, the actual number of space-invader cards have to be exceptionally low, and mostly limited to FE.

Actually Kyle over at the other site already did a return, first card was brand X of member, new card was Samsung.  Samsung died in 8 hours before any real torture testing could be done.  Other card (3rd 2080ti in this case) is still good.  His personal experience is 66% failure rate.   I find that interesting.   Nvidia's own posting about it stated a .01% failure rate of cards that snuck through.

For Kyle to get two back to back... not to mention several other members there claiming the same..  (lets say 50% of them are true to be fair.)   That's still a CRAZY high number of failures to be generated.   But I appreciate your outlook I just think it is worse than Nvidia is claiming.  Hopefully I'm wrong...  but I'll be skipping this gen anyway.