gtx 970 caught fire

kn15e

i was playing cs go when my PC crashed and i started smelling something burning. I tried restarting but the PC didn't later i took it to the store from where i got the PC assembled he said it was a psu issue as it worked when he connected his psu that time he removed the gpu as his psu was low voltage. so i bought a new psu and asked him to connect it to my pc he did it and later it did not boot again so he said it is a graphics card issue. looking at his foolishness i left the store with my old parts and tested if it was the graphic cards fault or any other issue so at home i changed the pcie slot and tried rebooting when my gpu caught fire (zotac gtx 970 3yo.). it also burned the pci-e slot. Zotac is refusing to repair it as it is out of warrant period. What should i get it fixed from a third party or get a new gpu (i only have budget for 1050 if there is a good deal during black friday).

You don't hear this every day, I'd call that unlucky; my condolences to the 970.

On a more serious note..

I wouldn't get it fixed, chances it's worth it are slim as repairing a card that had some electrical short isn't exactly and most stores have no idea how to do this.

Seeing as ZOTAC refuses to take it in for RMA to be fair they don't need to since it's "far" out of warranty I'd wait for black friday and pickup another graphics card.

What is also possible is that the PSU is also faulty, quite honestly I wouldn't put the new graphics card in the same slot and would use a new PSU to prevent it from blowing up your new one.

That's what I'd do in your place, take this as advice and not as a must ;)

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

2 minutes ago, Sfekke said:

You don't hear this every day, I'd call that unlucky; my condolences to the 970.

On a more serious note..

I wouldn't get it fixed, chances it's worth it are slim as repairing a card that had some electrical short isn't exactly and most stores have no idea how to do this.

Seeing as ZOTAC refuses to take it in for RMA to be fair they don't need to since it's "far" out of warranty I'd wait for black friday and pickup another graphics card.

What is also possible is that the PSU is also faulty, quite honestly I wouldn't put the new graphics card in the same slot and would use a new PSU to prevent it from blowing up your new one.

That's what I'd do in your place, take this as advice and not as a must ;)

the system is booting without the gpu does it mean the psu is ok?

11 minutes ago, kn15e said:

the system is booting without the gpu does it mean the psu is ok?

Yes, your PSU should be fine.

Also, Zotac seems to have a reputation for crap VRM solutions and cooling, so I'd recommend a different brand like EVGA.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

When even CSGO can make a card catch fire, you know it's been close to death for a LONG time. 

I guess both your GPU and board are fucked now. You can forget about warranty either way with fire damage. 

If I may ask, which PSU are you using? Full make, model and wattage please.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yes, your PSU should be fine.

Also, Zotac seems to have a reputation for crap VRM solutions and cooling, so I'd recommend a different brand like EVGA.

evga isnt avaliable in my country so gigabyte, msi or asus?

1 minute ago, kn15e said:

evga isnt avaliable in my country so gigabyte, msi or asus?

I recommend gigabyte or Asus then

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

When even CSGO can make a card catch fire, you know it's been close to death for a LONG time. 

I guess both your GPU and board are fucked now. You can forget about warranty either way with fire damage. 

If I may ask, which PSU are you using? Full make, model and wattage please.

cm b2 600w

is it normal that gpu catch fire . i have never even overclocked my pc. and i also use to clean it once every 5-6 months using a blower

8 minutes ago, kn15e said:

cm b2 600w

The B2 is a really low end PSU.  See our tier list for reference. The lower the tier (the higher the number) the worse quality. It might have had a part in the short that killed your card. Typically, you shouldn't go lower than tier 4.

5 minutes ago, kn15e said:

is it normal that gpu catch fire . i have never even overclocked my pc. and i also use to clean it once every 5-6 months using a blower

No it's not normal. Either the card itself had a defect, or it got unstable power/short circuit.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 minutes ago, kn15e said:

is it normal that gpu catch fire

Ha no, not "normal" for any card to catch fire. It really was bad luck, and you were right to clean it regularly.

Primary PC:

I'd get ASUS over Gigabyte. Not a huge performance different, but there is a quality one. Look into a 1060 6gb if you can afford it. 

16 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The B2 is a really low end PSU.  See our tier list for reference. The lower the tier (the higher the number) the worse quality. It might have had a part in the short that killed your card. Typically, you shouldn't go lower than tier 4.

No it's not normal. Either the card itself had a defect, or it got unstable power/short circuit.

so what should i do i cant aford a new psu as well as a new gpu (and maybe even a new board) and how do i check if my psu is ok or not

and which psu (wattage) would you recommend if i buy 1050-ti the pc has i-7 4790k (not overclocked joke about that later) 16 gb ram some msi board 2 mechanical hard drive a cooler master hyper 212

i would say buy a new PSU, overclock the cpu and buy a used gpu, a lot of miners are selling at good prices.

6 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

with a 1050 ti a good 350W psu is enough. Make sure its is a quality unit though this time

do you know a 1050 ti is a big downgrade ? cut your performance by more than half

9 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

with a 1050 ti a good 350W psu is enough. Make sure its is a quality unit though this time

The 1050 Ti is a serious downgrade compared to the 970.. also, do high quality 350W PSU even exist? That sounds like pure bargain bin territory.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

If this was me I would be blasting pictures and my story all over their forums, twitter, and facebook pages. Having a card fail outside of the warranty period is one thing and to be expected to a degree. Having a card catch fire is NEVER acceptable and risks way more than just the card. It risks your other components, your house, property, and even worse still your LIFE. I would blast them for that and tell them to make it right. If not I would take it as far as needed to help trash their already poor reputation.

1 hour ago, Franck said:

do you know a 1050 ti is a big downgrade ? cut your performance by more than half

1 hour ago, System32.exe said:

The 1050 Ti is a serious downgrade compared to the 970.. also, do high quality 350W PSU even exist? That sounds like pure bargain bin territory.

if you guys look at the original post you'd see that he says he only has a budget for a 1050 right now.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

2 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

if you guys look at the original post you'd see that he says he only has a budget for a 1050 right now.

My bad. Sorry.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Doesn't mean he has to downgrade that much. can buy used card. Old 970 gtx are about 200$ on facebook atm while 1050ti are 230$ plus taxes new here.