Making your own super simple OS??

LiquidFox
Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,
1 minute ago, LiquidFox said:

Learning C++, Python and C# is in my school syllabus, so I wanna do something cool with this knowledge so I started thinking can I make a SUPER SIMPLE OS??

Okay, that makes sense, but in my opinion I think there are other projects you could take on with C++, Python and C# that would help you learn them well. I know you want to make a "SUPER SIMPLE OS" but I think what everyone else is saying is that there is no such thing as a "SUPER SIMPLE OS". There are basic operating systems, but they are not simple to code and likely not a good way to start with learning modern programming languages 

Hi, I am just curious that is there any guide or course that teaches you how to build my own Simple Operating System??

Hi, I am just curious that is there any guide or course that teaches you how to build my own Simple Operating System??

Before you guys say " GOOGLE IT, " I wanna say that i googled it and found nothing useful!

Yeah. You need strong programming knowledge, especially in C and assembly and good fundamentals of math, especially in alogrithms as perequistutes. OS is literally run by insane number of threads (thousands) so you got to have good knowledge of multithread programming. You will probably get half baked results full of bugs and a kernel that is barely functioning. However if you can archieve this, it is already a job well done. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

learn C# or C++

i think visual studio 2016 would be your best bet

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

I don't think you even remotely understand how complex an operating system is.

Maybe start by learning how to program?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Do you have a reason in mind for why you want to do something like this? Or do you just think it would be cool to do? There are plenty of "simple" OS's out there you can download right now if that's all you're looking for.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you even remotely understand how complex an operating system is.

That is why I mentioned "Super Simple" mate! :)

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Do you have a reason in mind for why you want to do something like this? Or do you just think it would be cool to do? There are plenty of "simple" OS's out there you can download right now if that's all you're looking for.

Learning C++, Python and C# is in my school syllabus, so I wanna do something cool with this knowledge so I started thinking can I make a SUPER SIMPLE OS??

Okay, that makes sense, but in my opinion I think there are other projects you could take on with C++, Python and C# that would help you learn them well. I know you want to make a "SUPER SIMPLE OS" but I think what everyone else is saying is that there is no such thing as a "SUPER SIMPLE OS". There are basic operating systems, but they are not simple to code and likely not a good way to start with learning modern programming languages 

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

6 minutes ago, LiquidFox said:

That is why I mentioned "Super Simple" mate! :)

That's like asking how to build a super simple nuclear fusion reactor.

First learn programming, then get a university degree, then get a masters or Ph.D and you should be able to build a simple operating system.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well I've heard good things about Linux From Scratch, but I've never done it.  I'm not sure if it's still up to date.  Anyone here ever tried going through it?

Try a new approach.  Instant loading, hardcoded OS.  This existed for MS-DOS 3.x many years ago but Windows and other detailed GUI OS can't really load that way.

You could also aim for an improved file manager.  Windows 3.x had that kind of idea. It required MS DOS to launch it and didn't contain any of the driver or config setups we expect from an OS.

I'll keep watching for updates.  People told Bill Gates he wasn't going to be able to succeed as well.

18 hours ago, wviper3 said:

Well I've heard good things about Linux From Scratch, but I've never done it.  I'm not sure if it's still up to date.  Anyone here ever tried going through it?

Linux from scratch is an already functioning OS for you to tweak with. You won't probably need to do anything except working with the command lines. Coding your own is on an entire different league. There is a difference between creation and utilization my friend. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Download the source code for FreeDOS : https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/svn/HEAD/tree/

It's about as basic as you can go, you see how it interacts with bios, how it implements accessing file systems (fat12, fat16,fat32), how to do command prompt etc..

Or you can check out ReactOS (and the source code is freely available), which aims to be make an operating system that's compatible with Windows (so you can run Windows apps within it without having to modify the apps in any way) : https://www.reactos.org/

There's also uclinux (linux for microcontrollers), a linux version for simple microcontrollers (so the source code should be smaller, but not necessarily easy to understand): http://www.uclinux.org/

A lot of routers, printers , various devices use embedded linux stuff like busybox (though it probably isn't a good starting point to learn stuff) : https://busybox.net/about.html

On 11/17/2018 at 7:07 PM, LiquidFox said:

I'm going to be a harsh person here. Do you even know what the point of an operating system is? If you do not, then how can you expect to build one? First figure out what the whole point of an operating system is. Once you have that foundation, then you can start looking at ways to build one.