How to keep your computer fast and clean

Erik4boss

Most of us swear over slow computers. When it takes 3 minutes to boot Windows. That is the time when we feel like throwing away the computer. But we don't, since computers are expensive. So there are many ways for you to make it faster. Reinstalling the OS is what you want to do if you don't have anything important on the computer. (If you have anything important, buy an external 500 GB USB 3.0 hard drive and put it there.)

Read more about re-installing.

This can be done by downloading one of the .iso files that fits your windows license. I have a 64 bits computer running win 7 sp 1 and language "Swedish". I will go to this page for windows 7 SP 1.

Windows 7 SP 1http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Windows Vista  http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/301852-vista-iso-download-create-installation-dvd-usb.html

Windows 8: http://www.soft-zilla.com/2013/01/windows-8-iso-download.html

When you have downloaded the file, drag it to desktop and right click on it. Select "burn with windows image creator" or something that is about that.

When you have burnt the dvd, put it in the computer and turn it off. 

Start it again and press the key that gets you to BIOS. Boot from the dvd and run the install. Enter your license key when you have installed and you are good to go!

If you do not wish to re-install your system, just make it faster and cleaner. There are many ways for this too. Here is a good start.

1. CCleaner.

Start up your web browser, (IE 11, google chrome are fast browsers.) Search for CCleaner or press this: Click me!

CCleaner is a program that will speed up your computer by deleting cache, .temp files clean the trash. It can also be used for repairing the computer. Download it from filehippo by pressing: Download

Go through the install and when it is installed press on "cleaner" and press "analyze". When it is done analyzing, press "Run cleaner". This will clean up your computer. A clean computer is a fast computer!

When you are done, I suggest you uninstall CCleaner from the computer to save space and make it even faster.

2. Defragmentate your disk.

Press on the windows button (or start bar) and search for "def". It will come up with disc defragmenter. Press it and select your C: drive (if it is a SSD, don't do this). Press "Analyze". When it is done analyzing, Defragmentate the disk. This makes the computer faster but stuff takes up more space. So this is basically unboxing packed materials so that you don't have to unbox them when you have to use them, meaning that it takes longer time.

3. Glarysoft utilities.

This is a tool that cleans up your computer like CCleaner. But has more features. This program is a little more heavy on the computer so we are going to uninstall it after use.

This program tells you a lot about your computer, start-up speed, your computer speed rating compared to other users. Download their program and run all things that slows your computer down. If you want to work on your computer start up time, you want to disable some "auto-start" programs. Stuff that you can make so they don't start automaticly could be steam, Hi-rez authenication and update service, Origin and programs like that you don't need,

Glarysofts review:

Glary Utilities is rated 5 stars by CNet staff on August 29, 2012

4. Abelssoft Wash & Go

Abelssoft wash & go is a paid program that costs 30€. This is a computer speed tuner that makes your computer a lot faster. I do not suggest you to get this if you have to pay the full 30€ but if you are able to get it for free, this is a upgraded version of CCleaner in my opinion. It has great auto-clean options.

5. AVG TuneUP. Is a software to clean your computer. They have a free trial that allows you to do one "TuneUP". I suggest using this if you do not trust the programs above or just want to see if you can clean more space. Uninstall after use.

Many computers still suffers from being slow after using cleaning programs. This has to do with that the computer is under constant load by programs. If you run 4 gigabytes of RAM, and run a lot of processes that takes much RAM such as AVG antivirus, zone alarm, google chrome you should concider stop using these programs. Follow these steps to make the computer faster.

1. Uninstall all programs that you do not use. Don't think like "ahhhh, I'll maybe use this in the future....." delete the programs, you can always re-install them.

2. Uninstall any firewall's and anti-viruses that you have on the computer except the built in windows ones. We are going to be replacing them. 

Now, go to your settings and turn on the windows firewall if you haven't already. This firewall is quite good, not the best but since we are going to use a good anti-virus we don't need anything fancy.

Install one of these two anti-viruses. Also, make sure that you have disabled "Windows defender".

Kaspersky Lightweight, 40$

Malwarebytes Free, however has a "PRO" version. Use one of these keys for upgrading to "PRO" when in the program. (These was given to me)

Keys removed. Use normal version.

(Contact me if all are used. I have more)

Updating drivers and Windows might not seem like it would help you, but it will. Let's say a graphic card with bad drivers won't perform as good as a graphic card with drivers.

1. Press your windows key or start button and search "windows update".It will now show you that you are up to date with updates, or that you have updates to download. Press "optional drivers" and check them to be installed. Install drivers and re-boot computer.

Updating hardware can help you increase performance a lot! Learn what you want to replace for better performance.

1. The RAM. Are you still stuck at DDR2/DDR3 1333 mhz 2/4 GB ram?. Consider upgrading it. RAM is a cheap addition to boost your performance. There are a lot of programs that takes up RAM. I will list a few.

Google chrome is very heavy on the RAM. Every tab is a process that takes RAM. By going to processes in task manager you will see a lot of "chrome.exe" running if you are using chrome. Every tab that is open is a "chrome.exe" as well as some "chrome.exe's" are just the browser. Sometimes a tab can be heavy for the computer and take up 150 000 k on the RAM.

Skype takes up a lot of RAM as well as internet. My Skype is currently at 143 000 k without talking to somebody.

Some games I play goes over 200 000, and that is a graphical game and not just a tab.

So to improve performance, if you generally have 4 tabs open and a game running or skype + spotify or something like that, it is worth upgrading to 8 GB DDR3 1600 mhz RAM. Make sure that your motherboard is compatible with the RAM.

2. The storage. Are you running a hard drive that only goes at 5200 RPM? You should consider upgrading it. By upgrading your hard drive to a SSD you will get many many times the performance you once got. By running a SSD you can get your boot time from 60 seconds to less than 20. SSD's are expensive though. Get a 128 gb SSD for around 150$ (for speed and performance) and a 1 TB 7200 rpm hard drive for around 60$. (for storage)

Anything to add, was it a good guide? Tell me in the replies!

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

For speeding up my computer I use TuneUp by AVG along with going into the registry to unpark my CPU.

thanks for the malwarebytes keys. :)

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

are those keys legit?

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

are those keys legit?

i entered one in the trial version. and it worked :)

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

For speeding up my computer I use TuneUp by AVG along with going into the registry to unpark my CPU.

Yeah I forgot about TuneUP. I'll add that soon.

I run all new/experimental/potentially harmful programs/websites in a virtual environment (Virtualbox, VMware Workstation, ESXi, Proxmox) before onto my host machine. I have not needed any additional anti-virus for years and I have now even turned off real-time protection in Windows Defender because it was annoying me.

True. I have windows defender turned off too. I should have said that.

i entered one in the trial version. and it worked :)

Just re-installed my computer and used one of the keys. They work.

Yeah I forgot about TuneUP. I'll add that soon.

True. I have windows defender turned off too. I should have said that.

Just re-installed my computer and used one of the keys. They work.

where did you get the keys?

Thanks for the keys bro. You rock!

CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition @3.9GHz GPU: XFX 7970 DD (1062/1520 MHz) MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FXA(1st Revision) RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333MHz Storage: Corsair Force 3 120GB(Boot) + WD Green 1TB(storage) PSU: FSP AURUM 600W(80+ Gold) CPU Cooler: Cryorig M9a  Case: NZXT Tempst 410 Elite(Mid-Tower) Mouse: Logitech G602(Manufacturer Refurbished) Keyboard: Noppoo Choc Mini(Cherry MX Blue) AUDIO:Sennheiser HD 598+ASUS Xonar DGX Monitor: LG M2280DF 21.5" 1080p(TN-75Hz)

are the keys valid for a year? longer? forever?

Thanks!

Thanks for showing me what you think. You know there is a button for it too......

where did you get the keys?

Provided by friend, I believe he got them from malwarebytes sharing them with you guys

Thanks for the keys bro. You rock!

You know there is a button for it.... lol ! Thanks for the comment!

Thanks for showing me what you think. You know there is a button for it too......

Provided by friend, I believe he got them from malwarebytes sharing them with you guys

You know there is a button for it.... lol ! Thanks for the comment!

that's awesome! thanks again. i myself think i don't need a pro version but i am not the only one using the PC so......

Ty for the MW key sir.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Dunno. I got them 18th of september 2013 so they are valid for awhile at least. I believe they are forever.

that's awesome! thanks again. i myself think i don't need a pro version but i am not the only one using the PC so......

A lot of good features needs PRO. It is awesome!

Good guide, ive been using most of this stuff for a long time. And used a key, thanks!

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

double post, delete this please 

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

Good guide, ive been using most of this stuff for a long time. And used a key, thanks!

Seems like I have to get a new list of keys. I  have more so I'll have to add them soon!

They work forever.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Sharing copyrighted software is against the forums Code of Conduct.

6. Piracy, Copyright Material, Cracks and Product Keys

• "Copyright Material" is any material protected by legally recognized copyright;
  • "Piracy" is the unauthorized copying of software or any material subject to copyright;
  • "Cracks" are programs that disable copy-protection technology;
  • A "Key" is a combination of numbers and/or letters required for software installation.

You may not request, distribute, link to or enable any activities which involve the procurement or distribution of pirated software, product cracks or keys or the supply, exchange or distribution of any copyright material including TV recordings. Doing so may result in the termination of your account without notice. In addition, any of the following violations are grounds for action being taken on your post and/or account:

you forgot a very important thing: paint some stripes on the case

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb                                                                                              

you forgot a very important thing: paint some stripes on the case

don't forget some lubricant

I run all new/experimental/potentially harmful programs/websites in a virtual environment (Virtualbox, VMware Workstation, ESXi, Proxmox) before onto my host machine. I have not needed any additional anti-virus for years and I have now even turned off real-time protection in Windows Defender because it was annoying me.

Whatever you copied/pasted, do it with Ctrl + Shift + V next time. Or right click and click "Paste as plain text". 

I'm on the dark theme. If you don't paste as plain text, the dark theme doesn't change your font's color. Meaning it's black on dark grey and hard to read (if not impossible) without highlighting it. Which is annoying. 

Please and thank you.

Sharing copyrighted software is against the forums Code of Conduct.

I assume you say this in terms of the OS ISO's. [He wasn't.] Well, the whole point of this is that we already own the OS. 

On top of that, these are the ISO's. They are not pirated. They are not cracked. They are not keys. Etc etc. They were provided by Microsoft originally and are just being hosted or linked to on a different site. 

Windows 7 SP1's links are msft.digitalrivercontent.net where msft means Microsoft. And I quote:

Thеѕе аrе NOT illegal – Thеѕе аrе јυѕt thе download links fοr Windows 7 SP1 ISO whісh іѕ a retail wrap thаt offers a 30-day trial period. Yου need tο activate уουr Windows afterwards wіth a genuine license activation key tο continue using іt. Downloading thеѕе files frοm Digital River іѕ absolutely legal аnԁ completely free οf charge.

The other two are in the same category as that one.

Claiming this violates the sharing copyrighted software section of the CoC is like saying me linking to a Microsoft Hotfix does the exact same thing. Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I assume you say this in terms of the OS ISO's. Well, the whole point of this is that we already own the ISO. 

On top of that, these are the ISO's. They are not pirated. They are not cracked. They are not keys. Etc etc. They were provided by Microsoft originally and are just being hosted on a different site. 

Keys to Malwarebytes Pro was posted, and keys are indeed keys. They have been removed now.

don't forget some lubricant

and a car spoiler and the best thing: put everywhere chewing gum tattoos

AMD Athlon X4 750k; Gigabyte F2A88XM-DS2; 8Gb Corsair XMS 1600 Mhz; AMD Hd5670 1Gb DDR3; Bequiet E6-600W; W7 Ultimate x64

#KILLEDMYWIFE                                                                                                                                                                                                                         so miner; very doge; much value   

Dell Vostro 5470: i5 4200U Nvidia GT740m 2Gb 14" 1366x768 Kingston V300 120Gb