life.... I'm ****ed

Benjeh

Well i'm 29, no job, no one willing to hire me in the UK due to my age and our impending doom due to brexit and everyone now starting new businesses. I'm really struggling to make ends meet.

Due to what I just explained my already bad depression is taking a grippling hit, I have loads of skills under my belt, Mechanic, pc building, web design, graphic design, I can literally fix and learn anything and strong hand skllls or program skills. Im literally the most flexable employee you could literally every wish for as a business owner yet i've never been used to my potential....

My last job was this, Hired as a motorcycle mechanic, promised my travel paid for, promised money increase, promised a hire bike for transport...

MY last job actuality.... Did bike mechanics for a day, then pushed on to help fill a database for their online shops aka ecommerce, then put on to social media expert (never done this before) which they then deleted all my posts so all the data i collected was gone, hire bike was not fit for the road, offered me a payment increase yet paid me less after the conversation, paid cash in hand under national minimum wage....

So i have all these skills but trying to get people around me to pay me for these skills is failing. what do you recommend? cos the end of a rope is looking more and more attractive to me as the hour goes by...

Finding a job can be hard, I'd suggest setting your expectations low instead of aiming high from the get go, especially in the current brexit climate and if you're already having trouble finding a job as it is.

You may not want a crappy job, but it's something and you'll at least have some income that will let you live another day, after which you'll have time/money to look for another job more fit for your skills.

If you're having trouble making ends meet right now and the income from a shitty job isn't enough to let you live "comfortably", just reduce your expenses.

Rent too high? Move out to someplace cheaper/smaller. It may sucks, but just think of it as temporary until you find a better job. (Or move back in with your parents)

Phone/internet bill too high? Get a lower tier plan, get rid of data for your phone if it adds too much.

Credit cards are loaded? ... Bankruptcy is a magic word. ?

That said, are your skills "self taught" or did you go to school(vocational or otherwise) to learn them? If self taught, you'll have trouble finding a job with it, especially if you don't really have prior work experience in that field for a good number of years. (at least 5)

That said, this is from my perspective as a Canadian, I don't know how it is in the UK but I can't imagine things to be that different since we share the same Queen. ? (If you ask anyone here, she's not really our Queen, most people probably don't give a damn about her or know that she technically is the head of state, but she's still on our money, so kind of?)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

48 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

UK

I can literally fix and learn anything and strong hand skllls or program skills. Im literally the most flexable employee

Dont they have a good welfare system in the UK? I know I know, its short term though right.

In Canada its alright, but there are options to making $1k+/m of government coin need a doc though so there is that. Then of course there is pogie which is unemployment, only lasts for so long.

Tough times call for good money making ideas. Home owners always need handymans, painters and lawn care. Then there is metal and bottle money to the recyclers. Then there is the auto mechanics, detailing vehicles. What about fishing, I saw a tv show on uk fishing vessels, they are always in need of a good worker because most of the workers they get are not good workers, its a different type of work ethic. Of course there is the mining and oil industries, offshore is the ticket, big money and it is all about work ethic. If someone is a good worker, can learn new things quickly, that is a supervisors dream employee. Someone willing to do anything within reason, willing to work hard, get dirty, be sweaty in their coveralls. Very hard to find those people now a days. Even Walmart and Dollarama dont have night crews anymore, that is why they stock shelves during business hours, so people willing to work 12 hour shifts, even rotating shifts too. Very hard to find.

Trades is a noble profession, millwright, electrician, plumber. I am sure there is a need for trades people in the UK just like there is everywhere in North America. All the students these days dont want to work outside, or work hard, or sweat, or get dirty. Their parents push them into going to univ and when they get out they learn the cold hard facts and are in tremendous debt. Trades is the ticket mate. Go have an irnbru they are delicious.

Like the previous poster mentioned, reduce your monthly costs. Look for affordable housing solutions from the government. Might mean having to swallow the ego and sell your adult toys and go to more frugal means of transportation. The 1.6L vehicles are awesome on gas, and cheap to buy and fix.

Hey, this just came to mind. You are mechanical, so why not just flip vehicles. I know lots of people that do that from their house. Go to auctions and inspect the vehicles that you know will sell for cheap, and flip them. Newcomers to the UK always need affordable transportation then there are the people that turn 14 and their parents buy them their first car. Plus you got the time, so you can fix them up real good and even paint them so they look spiffy.

The last resort, start applying to the service industry. Restaurants, fast food joints, bars, clubs. Hey you could even work as a bouncer.

What about a security guard, they just sit around all day and walk checking on doors, so that might be good.

7.83GBP is the minimum wage I see, as of April 2018. Which is like $14cdn, can't live on that working 40h a week. But its a start.

As for your "end of the rope comment" that is not good. Seek out professional help, depression is a medical issue. I once had the same thoughts, based on other circumstances, but I turned it around and said to myself, I do not want to do that, I would rather do something else that would get me large cash, fast.

Yes im already on meds for depression,  though it is not a cure. The UK used to have a good welfare system but our current government has completely ****ed all that up. We now have zero hour contract systems in place to help boost unemployment statistics.even thought i could do 1 hour a week i would help boost statistics towards employment.

I only have a mobile phone bill and insurance bills to pay, and oh a netflix bill for when my gf comes over for netflix and chill. I cant possibly reduce living costs further than i already have....

33 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I only have a mobile phone bill and insurance bills to pay, and oh a netflix bill for when my gf comes over for netflix and chill. I cant possibly reduce living costs further than i already have....

remove netflix and have a youtube and chill instead...

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

android box and chill is the best

I know the problems with Europe are bad, and they are all migrating to the lotto jackpot which is the UK. Its the same everywhere. When life deals you lemons you got to squeeze the living shit out of them and make lemonade and sell it for profit. You may have to go and live in a homeless shelter, you get a free bed and free meals. It is better then living on the street when its cold out. In the summer do not worry about it, camp outside. Lots do and they pick bottles or strip copper wire. We can't do what we want to do all the time, we all have had shitty ass fucking jobs whether its cleaning out large tanks or spreading manure or doing drywall or autobody work, working on roofs shingling and tarring. Like I said, good workers are very very hard to find. Excellent work ethic is very rare. Have to have the soft skills and the hard skills. Technology and society haven't been good to work ethic, especially advertising. Perhaps, since you spin wrenches, a job at a Auto Junk Yard will get you by until the next better job.

Fast food places will generally hire pretty much anyone, as will most places that need dish washers. I'd start there.

Your last job sounds unfortunate, but it's the exception not the rule. Just get out there and find something else.

Something you have to take into consideration is this: If you're trying the same thing over and over, and nothing's changing, you either need to change your approach, or perhaps take a look at yourself; maybe you're the problem, not everything around you.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

24 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Fast food places will generally hire pretty much anyone, as will most places that need dish washers. I'd start there.

Your last job sounds unfortunate, but it's the exception not the rule. Just get out there and find something else.

Something you have to take into consideration is this: If you're trying the same thing over and over, and nothing's changing, you either need to change your approach, or perhaps take a look at yourself; maybe you're the problem, not everything around you.

I've tried various things, i've even kept tabs afterwards on the places, they often employ kids after my interviews which then last a week then either have to be sacked or leave. Can assure you i'm not the issue. my last job i worked 40 hours for £120 thats £3 an hour or so, legally employers in the uk need to pay people at my age £7.83 and thats still not the living wage.

That sucks man i was the same. Does uk have council help? Over here you can get allownce from the gov as long as you are actively  searching for a job.

Worst case you can go freelance which is another option. You can try to be a freelance mechanic 

lives on

BAKABT

38 minutes ago, Benjeh said:

I've tried various things, i've even kept tabs afterwards on the places, they often employ kids after my interviews which then last a week then either have to be sacked or leave. Can assure you i'm not the issue. my last job i worked 40 hours for £120 thats £3 an hour or so, legally employers in the uk need to pay people at my age £7.83 and thats still not the living wage.

Working long hours for low pay does not make you a good or valuable employee. I've had two people, with similar skill sets, apply for a job. One asked for a fair bit more money. I hired him instead. Self worth is a quantifiable metric. Comparing your last job to the thousands available also makes no sense.

Do you have any certified skills?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i might have the idea for you, learn C# and make a simple (but good) game in unity.. use the Brackeys tutorials on youtube and also Jimmy Vegas on yt as well... try also taking up Twitch or Youtube, and for youtube you can program a bot that will open your video, watch it, then refresh the page for more views.. for subs you can do sub4sub and eventually, when using the bot and sub4sub, it will be much easier to grow...

no, i do not reccomend using bots or sub4sub, however, as a test, i tried sub4sub on a burner account, and got 60 subs in 3 days.. so combine that with a bot that gives 30 views per day (or so) and you can get 130 subs per week, and 210 views per week (hypothetical)

i think my math is right, and as for the game, simply make a game with simple graphics that is fun and. distribute on itch.io for say, $1.. make sure you go into settings and specify to give them no share of the profit (i think it is defaulted to them taking %10 cut) so you keep as much money as possible

these are not ways to make a living, but it will surely help you out if you play your cards right

good luck if you try any of these

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Companies always hire from Temporary Employment Agencies whether its just for a day or a week. There are different levels of temp agencies from your street level bums requiring booze money that work unloading trailers to the preppy kid that needs money for his books for univ or college that will do the same job, side by side with the bum. Casual Labor jobs have lots of temp agencies, then there are more skilled temp agencies looking for tradesmen, mechanics. Then there is the specialty skill temp agencies that hire generic office staff. Then there is the highly specialized temp agencies that hire consultants and vip employees.

I tell the workers that I fire and come crawling back to swallow their pride, get rid of their ego and find any job, any job at all. If I do take them back, I will start them off with cleaning toilets or washing tanks or moving heavy items to try and break them in a legal manner with shitty ass dirty fucking jobs, for their 90 day trial basis with pay of course, I want to see what they do. Of course the fresh new guy, is done the same way, but done less harshly.

22 hours ago, Canada EH said:

In Canada its alright, but there are options to making $1k+/m of government coin need a doc though so there is that. Then of course there is pogie which is unemployment, only lasts for so long.

Depends on the province (for the $), but what you're talking about is disability. Regular welfare in Quebec is like 650$, disability 1050$. Also it's hard to get on contrary to popular belief. Depression wouldn't qualify unless he proved it interfered a lot with his daily life.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

10 minutes ago, Raskolnikov said:

Depends on the province (for the $), but what you're talking about is disability. Regular welfare in Quebec is like 650$, disability 1050$. Also it's hard to get on contrary to popular belief.

$650 is quite high for reg welfare, is your $1050 your welfare disability? or is the $1050 your max $ perm dis?

23 hours ago, Benjeh said:

Well i'm 29, no job, no one willing to hire me

I know how you are feeling because I was in the same position. I got exploited at work.

I risked everything and started a computer science degree at age 32. It is hard but doable. Not sure if something like that is possible for because UK universities charge crazy yearly fees. 

50 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

$650 is quite high for reg welfare, is your $1050 your welfare disability? or is the $1050 your max $ perm dis?

650$ Canadian.

No it's not high, you'll definitely need food assistance. 

I'm sure farms always need dedicated hands. Need hard workers that know what to do. 

19 hours ago, Benjeh said:

What degrees or certifications do you have? Are you a licensed mechanic?

If not, use financial aid to go to trade school and get your mechanics license.

Or do the same but go to University and get a degree in something you're passionate about, such as Computer Science.

I've never heard of a company passing on an employee strictly because of their age. 29 isn't even that old. Many fast food restaurants employ people your age and older.

Job searching is always hard. The number one tip is simply don't stop searching. Apply. Apply more. Apply again. Apply to places that you already applied to. Apply to places that passed you up before.

I once had to spend over 6 months job searching - it was shit. But I eventually landed a (well.. still shit) job that was full time (paid minimum wage). And after a while of working that job, I landed my current job, which pays great and has excellent benefits.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/27/2018 at 6:43 PM, Benjeh said:

Well i'm 29, no job, no one willing to hire me in the UK due to my age and our impending doom due to brexit and everyone now starting new businesses. I'm really struggling to make ends meet.

Due to what I just explained my already bad depression is taking a grippling hit, I have loads of skills under my belt, Mechanic, pc building, web design, graphic design, I can literally fix and learn anything and strong hand skllls or program skills. Im literally the most flexable employee you could literally every wish for as a business owner yet i've never been used to my potential....

My last job was this, Hired as a motorcycle mechanic, promised my travel paid for, promised money increase, promised a hire bike for transport...

MY last job actuality.... Did bike mechanics for a day, then pushed on to help fill a database for their online shops aka ecommerce, then put on to social media expert (never done this before) which they then deleted all my posts so all the data i collected was gone, hire bike was not fit for the road, offered me a payment increase yet paid me less after the conversation, paid cash in hand under national minimum wage....

So i have all these skills but trying to get people around me to pay me for these skills is failing. what do you recommend? cos the end of a rope is looking more and more attractive to me as the hour goes by...

Curse these people to hell and start your own business. Work for yourself. Do odd jobs to survive if you have to. Entrepreneurialship is the key for big success my friend.  If you know your skills are well value by consumers, put them to work for YOU. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

I'm sure farms always need dedicated hands. Need hard workers that know what to do. 

They usually make use of immigrant temporary workers.

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

No it's not high

yes its quite high compared to other provinces. its probably the highest in canada, plus you save money on day care. Plus whatever else there is from the province. I believe bc is like $400

How about signing up for the dole? It's dehumanising but you get paid still.

Drop the victim complex as well, there's a lot more people in a lot worse situations than you're in at the moment...

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

It's not a pretty job but have a look around parcel companies, UPS, DPD, TNT etc... They're usually always looking for more help on the lead up to christmas and if you're good they'll keep you on afterwards. Pay isn't too shabby either. I'm on just over £12 p/h just to move boxes.