Use money to buy a PC or save it

jasonwj322a
55 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I assume that's pound and not dollar though, yes? You also have to look at what things cost. The values aren't the same.

@dizmo No, I did the conversions hence the $ sign...hard to believe no? Not to mention living costs are generally quite high in the UK too.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Think if you'll need to spend a lot of money in the near future - car, college, etc - and set that aside.

If you have anything left over, feel free to buy a gaming PC. But keep in mind that you can get a very good system for under $2000.

Another reason for buying a PC now - if you're 17 and living with your parents, you probably have a lot of free time to game. This time will be decreasing as you get older due to things like moving out and getting a social life, going to college, working a full-time job...

4 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into the forum you linked. I assume its similar to something like r/personalfinance on Reddit? Or does it have a broader range? 

It really depends. I find both to be great places to ask questions like this one. The money.stackexchange one can sometimes dabble more seriously into talk about taxes etc.

That's badass pc price range. Get yourself a good pc (mainly the base part, you can skimp on the gpu) and get good peripherals, monitors, etc. 

I really think if you don't have a pc worth gaming on, and one is offered to you, take it. I say this because you already have some money saved up. 
I just built a friend a pc based on the 8700k for about 950$ (no gpu) and we slapped a used 970 in it for 110$ since a good workstation was more important that the best gaming pc possible for that price range. 

Point is he has a great base pc, and a gpu upgrade later is cheap. If he feels that 970 isn't enough later and it starts to struggle to play games he wants, we'll put another sub-200$ gpu (possibly used again) and he'll be great. 
For for 3k, get a good gpu and good build sure, but don't go super overboard, like getting 2 gpus or something idk. Like you don't need a 2080ti. I'm sure the money is better spent on things like screens or more storage, whatever you want. Typically a 400$ gpu now and a 400$ gpu later is better than an 800$ gpu now. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

7 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I really do want a job, especially now when living with my parents. Though as someone dealing with social anxiety it's extremely difficult for me. 

I know multiple people who had really bad social anxiety.

First things first, see your doctor, to make sure there isn't a physical cause of your anxiety. After that, see a therapist/counsellor/psychiatrist, to work on it long term.

Mental health issues are nothing to be ashamed of, but you need to treat them like getting sick, you need to seek treatment.

But definitely, "getting out there" is a good first step. If at 17 you've never held a job, you're already at a disadvantage in the workforce for when after you graduate school (whether that be high school, or college, etc). All of your competitors for a job interview will likely have previous work experience.

5 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Fucking hell. I need to move to America then, national minimum wage here is $10.05, and for large cities like London, the uplift places it at $11.70.

Your minimum wage is more than I earn hourly, and I'm nowhere near the UK minimum wage...

That's Seattle, which is also an expensive place to live. Minimum wage varies per state (I think there's a Federal min but it's very low).

@dizmo you're assuming he's going to easily get a full time job - which is very unlikely considering he has zero job experience.

My opinion: Save the money. Once you have an income from a job, then you can start spending it on stuff like a PC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

49 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I know multiple people who had really bad social anxiety.

First things first, see your doctor, to make sure there isn't a physical cause of your anxiety. After that, see a therapist/counsellor/psychiatrist, to work on it long term.

Mental health issues are nothing to be ashamed of, but you need to treat them like getting sick, you need to seek treatment.

But definitely, "getting out there" is a good first step. If at 17 you've never held a job, you're already at a disadvantage in the workforce for when after you graduate school (whether that be high school, or college, etc). All of your competitors for a job interview will likely have previous work experience.

That's Seattle, which is also an expensive place to live. Minimum wage varies per state (I think there's a Federal min but it's very low).

@dizmo you're assuming he's going to easily get a full time job - which is very unlikely considering he has zero job experience.

My opinion: Save the money. Once you have an income from a job, then you can start spending it on stuff like a PC.

federal min is 7.25, but most places are desperate to hire now, and those not offering a competitive wage are short staffed and likely only can hire people who have a bad work history (many times fired, criminal record etc)
The federal min should be higher of course, but right now he'd have a good chance of getting paid a lot more. I think even walmart is moving to 11$ an hour, and I see much higher in certain entry level jobs around where I live 

still, save the money is not a bad idea. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Money doesn't grow on trees, and if you aren't a trust fund baby then take the cash. 

I paid my house off by 30, and have zero debt sans 2 credit cards I use to keep my credit score in the 800's.  I chose to be very financially responsible.  Compared to everyone around me...I can live like a King lol.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

5 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Fucking hell. I need to move to America then, national minimum wage here is $10.05, and for large cities like London, the uplift places it at $11.70.

Your minimum wage is more than I earn hourly, and I'm nowhere near the UK minimum wage...

The moment you need a doctor, though..you're F'd.

$15 isn't standard in the US either. The federal min wage in the US is only $7.25.

@Mooshi I mean, I'm in the UK we have the NHS. Hell, I work for the NHS...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Just now, Ross Siggers said:

@Mooshi I mean, I'm in the UK we have the NHS. Hell, I work for the NHS...

OP is in Murika though - so must be considered.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@dalekphalm I mean, yeah. But that specific comment was aimed at me. Ignore me I read it back :D

For the record I still think the idea that OP can jump into a job and make/save $2k a month is silly.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

unless you are diagnosed as a psychopath, sociopath, mentally retarded, compulsive liar, pedophile, ect ect ect 

you may not wish to share these facts with just about anyone.  

Sudo make me a sandwich 

8 hours ago, Mooshi said:

The moment you need a doctor, though..you're F'd.

$15 isn't standard in the US either. The federal min wage in the US is only $7.25.

it is the standard minimum here in NYC by 2020 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

There are loads of places that will give you full time work with no job experience. Retail stores, McDonalds day shift, fast food day shift, etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, wasab said:

unless you are diagnosed as a psychopath, sociopath, mentally retarded, compulsive liar, pedophile, ect ect ect 

you may not wish to share these facts with just about anyone.  

Your medical history is no ones business - period. Regardless, all of the things you mention are even more important to seek treatment for.

32 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There are loads of places that will give you full time work with no job experience. Retail stores, McDonalds day shift, fast food day shift, etc.

Maybe during seasonal rush hours, but most of those places will typically start with part time hours. Why would they give someone with no experience full time hours when they can almost certainly find other interviewees who have previous experience in said industry.

Certainly some locations may be experiencing enough of a labour shortage to justify hiring someone full time immediately with no experience, but that's definitely not normal.

On 10/24/2018 at 5:40 AM, jasonwj322a said:

sub $3000 PC or $2000 cash

Build a PC for sub $1000 and call it a day. 144 fps in 1440p can easily be achieved with $1000.

On 10/26/2018 at 9:01 PM, dalekphalm said:

Certainly some locations may be experiencing enough of a labour shortage to justify hiring someone full time immediately with no experience, but that's definitely not normal.

Companies need employees. Big box stores, for example, often need about 150 people. Sure, part timers fill some of those spaces, but a large amount are also full time, and a lot of them are minimum wage. Jobs like that don't need experience since there's high turn over, and most of the tasks can be accomplished by someone with very little training. If you're willing to work later shifts, you're more likely to get hired. Those shifts often aren't wanted by people with experience, as they use scheduling in exchange for wage.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

i dont know your situation, for me, if i need a pc to game on, i will move heavens to get one.

but i heard a saying which i think makes sense, it goes something like this:

if you want to buy something because its price, dont; if you dont want to buy something is because its price, buy it.

expand that, first half i think is not succumb to impulse purchasing, you see all those discount sign on shops physical and mortar and online ones, are alluring you to hand over them your money. however, if you arent sure whether you want something, but limited by your budget, you should buy it, if that means making some compromises.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!