Use money to buy a PC or save it

jasonwj322a

I can choose between a sub $3000 PC or $2000 cash as a gift. I really don't know what to choose. I currently have a decent laptop but more power would definitely help. Gaming on it is especially bad since it's a work centric silhouette. 

I'm 17 and don't have a job, also never 'officially' worked. I have about $4000 saved in the bank. I would some times splurge for things but not thousands...

I was thinking maybe this can help future endeavors like buying a car in the near future. 

How much does a PC of this caliber usually depreciate?. 

Well think of it this way : Will you be needing a lot of money soon? Like going to college, buying a car, paying a rent, whatever else like that?
If you've answered No to all that, just waste it however you want, but I wouldn't suggest spending 3k for a PC, try to limit it to under 2k. You get diminishing return in terms of performances per dollar above that and is simply not worth it unless you have a lot of spare income (which you obviously don't, you just have savings)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Seems like you, or at least your family is wealthy. If you aren't pinching $$$ just buy the best out there. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Well think of it this way : Will you be needing a lot of money soon? Like going to college, buying a car, paying a rent, whatever else like that?
If you've answered No to all that, just waste it however you want, but I wouldn't suggest spending 3k for a PC, try to limit it to under 2k. You get diminishing return in terms of performances per dollar above that and is simply not worth it unless you have a lot of spare income (which you obviously don't, you just have savings)

^^^ The performance difference between a $2K or so PC and a $3K one isn't that big unless you're getting higher tier Threadripper chips and such for workstation use. If it's just gaming, you can make a killer rig for $2K. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ The performance difference between a $2K or so PC and a $3K one isn't that big unless you're getting higher tier Threadripper chips and such for workstation use. If it's just gaming, you can make a killer rig for $2K. 

"I chose to go all out and spent around $2,000"....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

6 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

Worse than a car... But it expecting it to be a sunk cost. It's not, but treat it as such.

I think you should take the 2000. You have no income and have not held a job. You are 17 and will be entering the real world very soon. Depending on how nice your parents are to you post graduation, is going to factor in a lot here. Are they going to kick you out of the house? Are you going to college? Are you buying a car? Are you getting a Job? 

You have 4000 in the bank in savings which in honesty is nothing. Most people should have have 4-6 months of money as an emergency fund. This means all your bills for 4-6 months should you be unemployed for that long of duration, you can pay for with your saving. You don't have bills now, but you will.

Now, should you pick up a job, given your proximity to Seattle which I believe is a 15 dollar minimum wage situation... then I would say you could consider taking the 3000 PC instead. I feel there a lot of factors you need to consider that people on this particular forum are not going to consider. I feel this question is better suited for a forum such as money.stackexchange which deals with questions like this.

$2,000 cash, then buy a used PC for around $800. You'll get something worth at least double, and still have $1,200 to save for whatever you want.

Consider getting a job. You're 17, you should at least have a little experience under your belt.

22 minutes ago, ThePD said:

I think you should take the 2000. You have no income and have not held a job. You are 17 and will be entering the real world very soon. Depending on how nice your parents are to you post graduation, is going to factor in a lot here. Are they going to kick you out of the house? Are you going to college? Are you buying a car? Are you getting a Job? 

You have 4000 in the bank in savings which in honesty is nothing. Most people should have have 4-6 months of money as an emergency fund. This means all your bills for 4-6 months should you be unemployed for that long of duration, you can pay for with your saving. You don't have bills now, but you will.

Now, should you pick up a job, given your proximity to Seattle which I believe is a 15 dollar minimum wage situation... then I would say you could consider taking the 3000 PC instead. I feel there a lot of factors you need to consider that people on this particular forum are not going to consider. I feel this question is better suited for a forum such as money.stackexchange which deals with questions like this.

He's 17 and likely lives at home. So, $4,000 would be way more than he needs for 4 to 6 months of living...considering he probably doesn't pay anything.

Very few people have 4-6 months of living expenses until they're into their mid twenties.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

He's 17 and likely lives at home. So, $4,000 would be way more than he needs for 4 to 6 months of living...considering he probably doesn't pay anything.

Very few people have 4-6 months of living expenses until they're into their mid twenties.

And that is exactly why the country OP and I are from has such a horrendous debt problem. If someone is unemployed and has 4000 dollars in the bank when is it a good idea to pick a 3000 gaming PC over $2000 hard cash? He lives at home for now, but he wont forever.

OP, you are young. Being financially responsible now makes the rest of your life much easier should life deal you a shitty hand. It also enables you to do things most people cannot. 

Take the cash, save it for college/car/beer. A $2k PC is cool and all but if you already have a machine that plays games well enough, go for the cash.

Plus, the last thing you want in the dorm is fighting for desk space between laptop and desktop.

Buy a decent used PC for sub-$1000, and invest/save the rest.

Learn to do things in moderation. I'm sure having a top-end gaming PC isn't essential.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

Once you get you fist job, you are probably going to get tired of using public transit.

8 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I can choose between a sub $3000 PC or $2000 cash as a gift. I really don't know what to choose. I currently have a decent laptop but more power would definitely help. Gaming on it is especially bad since it's a work centric silhouette. 

I'm 17 and don't have a job, also never 'officially' worked. I have about $4000 saved in the bank. I would some times splurge for things but not thousands...

I was thinking maybe this can help future endeavors like buying a car in the near future. 

At 17, with no job?

Save that money, my friend.

Or, opt for the $2000, and spend half on a decent gaming PC, and save the other half.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, ThePD said:

And that is exactly why the country OP and I are from has such a horrendous debt problem. If someone is unemployed and has 4000 dollars in the bank when is it a good idea to pick a 3000 gaming PC over $2000 hard cash? He lives at home for now, but he wont forever.

OP, you are young. Being financially responsible now makes the rest of your life much easier should life deal you a shitty hand. It also enables you to do things most people cannot. 

Well, that and the overpriced education system. The US is relatively cheap to live in, a lot of it comes down to people's poor life choices.

He lives at home now, and probably can for the next few years; if he gets a job, it'll take no time at all to save up $2k. Likely a month at most.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 10/24/2018 at 10:04 AM, dizmo said:

$2,000 cash, then buy a used PC for around $800. You'll get something worth at least double, and still have $1,200 to save for whatever you want.

Consider getting a job. You're 17, you should at least have a little experience under your belt.

I really do want a job, especially now when living with my parents. Though as someone dealing with social anxiety it's extremely difficult for me. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:03 AM, Zando Bob said:

The $3k was including tax. I should've clarified that, my apologies. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:01 AM, wasab said:

Seems like you, or at least your family is wealthy. If you aren't pinching $$$ just buy the best out there. 

I wish. This is for my graduation gift. 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:40 AM, ThePD said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into the forum you linked. I assume its similar to something like r/personalfinance on Reddit? Or does it have a broader range? 

On 10/24/2018 at 10:40 AM, jasonwj322a said:

Easy way to decide.

Do you NEED the desktop? If no then save the money easy

On 10/24/2018 at 12:40 PM, jasonwj322a said:

Do you need a car ? How do you picture yourself making money ? If car is a necessity then save towards a better/newer car. If you see yourself making money using a PC then go with the PC, you already have 4K in your bank, that's actually reeaaally good for a 17 year old. Props to that !

Edit: Oh and buy a car when you have stable job or some income, car expenses comes unexpectedly.

On 10/24/2018 at 8:15 PM, dizmo said:

If he gets a job, it'll take no time at all to save up $2k. Likely a month at most.

I don't know what kind of job you expect a 17yr old with no experience will be getting, but $2k in a month seems...optimistic. Especially as that's assuming the amount to be after tax :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

2 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

I don't know what kind of job you expect a 17yr old with no experience will be getting, but $2k in a month seems...optimistic. Especially as that's assuming the amount to be after tax :D 

Minimum wage in Seattle is $15/hr. $15 x 160 hours (full time employment) is $2,400. Less taxes is easily $2,000.

2 hours ago, jasonwj322a said:

I really do want a job, especially now when living with my parents. Though as someone dealing with social anxiety it's extremely difficult for me. 

Only one way to start to get over that. Get out out there. There's also loads of jobs that are lower stress and require less dealing with the public. Though, with those jobs you're generally dealing with less friendly people. So. You're not really winning either way.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Minimum wage in Seattle is $15/hr. $15 x 160 hours (full time employment) is $2,400. Less taxes is easily $2,000.

Fucking hell. I need to move to America then, national minimum wage here is $10.05, and for large cities like London, the uplift places it at $11.70.

Your minimum wage is more than I earn hourly, and I'm nowhere near the UK minimum wage...

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

6 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

Fucking hell. I need to move to America then, national minimum wage here is $10.05, and for large cities like London, the uplift places it at $11.70.

Your minimum wage is more than I earn hourly, and I'm nowhere near the UK minimum wage...

I assume that's pound and not dollar though, yes? You also have to look at what things cost. The values aren't the same.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler