Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Youtube potentially altering user comments

FITorion

https://youtu.be/ptiWBrd9YbQ

I can't find any news articles about this.  I have not personally experienced this.  If this isn't caused by some type of user error... it could be very bad.

Edit: I searched this section for a duplicate thread and didn't find one... but I have just now found this thread in the general discussion section:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/985594-it-would-appear-that-youtube-is-altering-some-users-comments/

I thought YouTube was all about the "Freedom of speech" thing, if this is true, where is the freedom...?

YouTube just seems to be getting more and more sketchier as time goes by.

'IM THE VIDEO GAME BOY, IM THE ONE WHO WINS' - Arin Hanson

20 minutes ago, Netivity said:

I thought YouTube was all about the "Freedom of speech" thing

Where did you read that?

4 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Lawsuit incoming. Blatant 1st Amendment violation.

Hardly, last time I checked Youtube wasn't a government.

19 minutes ago, FunkmastaFlex said:

YouTube just seems to be getting more and more sketchier as time goes by.

We don't really have any proof that this is a "thing" other than this guy's word... it could just be a bug, too...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Where did you read that?

"YouTubers are increasingly using the platform and global audience to push the boundaries of free speech and promote their own brand of positive values."

"YouTube strives to remain 'neutral' and promotes free speech"

And when Youtube HQ had that gun threat a while ago they released a statement saying the same things.

TL:DR

Even though YouTube promotes free speech, there must still be censorship.

Youtube again?

Jesus, this is getting ridiculous.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

14 minutes ago, Sauron said:

We don't really have any proof that this is a "thing" other than this guy's word... it could just be a bug, too...

Which is why I used the word Potentially in the title.

This could be a bug. It could be user error somehow... like some sort of copy paste issue or add-on conflict or something.  The few other places I've found as I continue to search for news on this... Use this video as their primary source. 

I would think if this were a wide spread thing... there would be reports all over the place from many different people.

44 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Chrome / Firefox extension for translating languages might be automatically doing it?

Yep

This thread was posted yesterday but it was merged with the other YouTube thread.

Already confirmed that it was due to the chrome Auto translate feature that was attempting to translate the text (from Russian)

It only translates it on the persons side, so the comment will appear as normal for everyone else.

Move along, nothing to see here, just another YouTuber jumping to conclusions...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yep

This thread was posted yesterday but it was merged with the other YouTube thread.

Already confirmed that it was due to the chrome Auto translate feature that was attempting to translate the text (from Russian)

It only translates it on the persons side, so the comment will appear as normal for everyone else.

Move along, nothing to see here, just another YouTuber jumping to conclusions...

That's great news.

They probably shouldn't merge such threads... or new threads will continue to be made by people who search and don't see a thread on the specific youtube issue they are looking for...

2 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

I expect all of you to pay me with Ben & Jerry's / haagen dazs icecream >:)) 

Fuck no, that shit's expensive yo.

Once in a while treat only.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

4 minutes ago, OnyxArmos said:

Haagen dazs or I go to Scotland and get it myself >:((( ✊

I shall welcome you with open arms and a Glasgow Kiss ❤️

48 minutes ago, Sauron said:

We don't really have any proof that this is a "thing" other than this guy's word

That "guy" is well established, I trust him more than Wojcicki.

1 hour ago, Netivity said:

I thought YouTube was all about the "Freedom of speech" thing, if this is true, where is the freedom...?

Just ask the rest of the leftists running social media and the major news networks these days.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

Just ask the rest of the leftists running social media and the major news networks these days.

Fair point.

3 minutes ago, Netivity said:

Fair point.

Oh just wait for the cognitive dissonance to kick in. I'm sure my comment will be deleted. Hard to have an honest discussion about this topic these days.

It's blatantly obvious to anyone who does more than just watch CNN, NBC, or Fox these days. One party is controlling the narrative to the masses these days. Or at the very east, attempting to.

1 hour ago, Max_Settings said:

Lawsuit incoming. Blatant 1st Amendment violation.

Google isn't the government yet, no amendments have been violated.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

6 minutes ago, Suika said:

Google isn't the government yet, no amendments have been violated.

It's long past time for that to change.

The first amendment applies to the government because of the power a government can wield, if a corporation assumes or creates a similar or greater level of power, why shouldn't it apply?

People are still not getting it. The users are doing this to themselves, at least SJWs are.

comment/video triggers someone--->they get offended then report and stir up a group--->this gets back to Ad companies--->Ad companies dont want their product associated with it--->Ad stops paying youtube--->youtube doesnt make money to pay youtuber--->demonitization or now censoring comments to bring Ads back--->youtubers complain about not making money--->stop posting videos because of it-->youtube changes rules--->process repeats.

Its a never ending process and as people get more offended about everything people just better get used to it. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

People are still not getting it. The users are doing this to themselves, at least SJWs are.

comment/video triggers someone--->they get offended then report and stir up a group--->this gets back to Ad companies--->Ad companies dont want their product associated with it--->Ad stops paying youtube--->youtube doesnt make money to pay youtuber--->demonitization or now censoring comments to bring Ads back--->youtubers complain about not making money--->stop posting videos because of it-->youtube changes rules--->process repeats.

Its a never ending process and as people get more offended about everything people just better get used to it. 

no-pen-equals-death-176x300.jpg

2 hours ago, Netivity said:

That's what they want you to think. There is no freedom, and they're going to continue doing sketchy shit until someone steps in and stops them, which more likely that not will never happen.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 hour ago, OnyxArmos said:

Nice try I know that's a headbutt ?

Nonsense, it's a simple peck on the ummm..... cheek :D

A lovely warmhearted Glaswegian welcome ❤️ 

11 hours ago, Netivity said:

Even though YouTube promotes free speech, there must still be censorship.

Yeah... they "strive" for it. That doesn't mean they are the ultimate fos platform or even attempt to be. They like free speech, as long as it doesn't come in conflict with their other objectives.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.