Youtube potentially altering user comments

FITorion
12 hours ago, Netivity said:

I thought YouTube was all about the "Freedom of speech" thing, if this is true, where is the freedom...?

Youtube is googles product, what freedom are you talking about?

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

12 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

Lawsuit incoming. Blatant 1st Amendment violation.

people like you are the reason that people shut down any criticism of social media platforms censoring people with "it's not the government, 1a doesn't apply" instead of actually debating the whether we think it's ok morally. 

Also this really just seems like an extension causing it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This was already disproved by @Curufinwe_wins in another thread.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:42 AM, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol. So you know how he mentioned that it looked like some crap that google translate poops out? It is. The posts aren't actually being edited. He's wrong as it happens. Google integration has auto detection and translation of various web pages. The post isnt actually being changed, but Google is automatically translating the post from what it thinks is a different language into English. If you cant find what part of the page is triggering the auto translate, all you have to do to fix the issue is disable page translation without prompts.

How do I know this? It's happened to me. I lost my shit and was freaking out trying to figure out what's going on (I was messaging a friend through this and other sites.) She screenshot proved that my sent message was the same as the one I typed, but it showed up different on my page.

This isnt related to the current topic.

EDIT: Replicated the issue as proof. It was probably from Russian to English. Side-note, my example problem was also due to auto-detection of Russian. My friend being from a former soviet republic and my having typed a bit of russian (I have a very basic understanding) in our dialogue before that point.

This behavior doesn't occur with most languages that write using a roman script, so most of the time, we wouldn't notice an errant translation attempt.

Most languages just spit back out english words as is if they don't match up exactly to known words in Google translate. This isn't done in Russian because the alphabet is different and google attempts to translate people's butchered beliefs of how russian words sound/should be spelled in roman script (instead of cryllic). Like Da Svidaniya is not actually how the word is spelled. It is spelled до свидания, but the stress of the language make it sound sorta like da svidaniya. Ergo when translating languages using a different script by default, google attempts to "interpret" what you mean when you don't spell things correctly, while languages that use Roman scripts instead tends to just spit it back out unchanged.

Capture.thumb.PNG.79803e1676fa49d0f860f163da74870f.PNG

The LT;DR is that comments aren't being edited. It's just that the person who made the video has automatic translation on without realizing it and his browser is (locally) trying to translate from "Russian" to English.

20 hours ago, Sauron said:

Where did you read that?

Hardly, last time I checked Youtube wasn't a government.

We don't really have any proof that this is a "thing" other than this guy's word... it could just be a bug, too...

isn't youtube/google a private company and that they DON'T have to abide by certain rules that countries typically follow (esp. the US)?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

i post all sorts of random crazy comments and never seen anything like this. almost seems fake

21 hours ago, Netivity said:

I thought YouTube was all about the "Freedom of speech" thing, if this is true, where is the freedom...?

With america back in the 1970s.

24 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

isn't youtube/google a private company and that they DON'T have to abide by certain rules that countries typically follow (esp. the US)?

Yep, that's what I was saying. Google can legally change or remove pretty much anything that is hosted on their websites. They may abstain from doing that to please the user base (after all, they need their users if they want to make any money) but they are under no obligation to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

13 minutes ago, corsairian said:

With america back in the 1970s.

The '70s? That's when the Vietnam war and the watergate scandal happened... I'm not sure it was a better time than it is now for the US...

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

20 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

People are still not getting it. The users are doing this to themselves, at least SJWs are.

comment/video triggers someone--->they get offended then report and stir up a group--->this gets back to Ad companies--->Ad companies dont want their product associated with it--->Ad stops paying youtube--->youtube doesnt make money to pay youtuber--->demonitization or now censoring comments to bring Ads back--->youtubers complain about not making money--->stop posting videos because of it-->youtube changes rules--->process repeats.

Its a never ending process and as people get more offended about everything people just better get used to it. 

Eventually they're going to have to some to terms with a simple truth.

Being offended, means nothing. It gives you no special rights, you do not have the right to not be offended, someone else does not need to be silenced because you are offended. Offense is taken not given.

Companies need to ball up, and just say "we're very sorry your offended, but we don't care."

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

people like you are the reason that people shut down any criticism of social media platforms censoring people with "it's not the government, 1a doesn't apply" instead of actually debating the whether we think it's ok morally. 

Also this really just seems like an extension causing it. 

My argument has always been that it SHOULD be a first amendment violation.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:06 PM, Max_Settings said:

Lawsuit incoming. Blatant 1st Amendment violation.

YouTube is not public property 

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

Yep, that's what I was saying. Google can legally change or remove pretty much anything that is hosted on their websites. They may abstain from doing that to please the user base (after all, they need their users if they want to make any money) but they are under no obligation to.

I was told that isn't the case.

Also, Google and free speech used in same sentence is the biggest oxymoron of all times. Maybe Google was all about that in the beginning, but it has long left this behind in purusit of money and control over flow of information.

31 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Also, Google and free speech used in same sentence is the biggest oxymoron of all times. Maybe Google was all about that in the beginning, but it has long left this behind in purusit of money and control over flow of information.

Reminder. This story isn't actually true. I personally isolated the issue (and every one of his users that tried failed to replicate it directly. Though part of my proof is replication through direct use of google's translation service). Brought the solution to Tao's notice, both on FB and on youtube and he ignored it. 

He lost a sub from that. Not that he cares. Gotta milk the hate for all it's worth.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

He has 1.1 million subs. Chances of them to reply to you personally are next to zero. You should know that by now...

Also, "just a glitch" intensifies. How come particular words like "gun" and "atomic" keep getting "glitched", but never "tree" or "hamburger"? I'd say that's kinda uuuum peculiar on Google's end...

11 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

He has 1.1 million subs. Chances of them to reply to you personally are next to zero. You should know that by now...

Also, "just a glitch" intensifies. How come particular words like "gun" and "atomic" keep getting "glitched", but never "tree" or "hamburger"? I'd say that's kinda uuuum peculiar on Google's end...

The comment has 100+ likes on the post and 17 replies. At the time I posted it, he favorited literally every other post before and after expect that one. On FB he explicitly commented on the comment chain after mine, (directly below). The chance he didn't see it is 0. I don't particularly expect him to admit he's wrong, but it would be nice for him not to pretend there isn't any other explanation besides the one that apparently fits his conspiracy clickbait.

It has nothing to do with that. I mean for crying out loud. I'm a nuclear engineer. I'm on these type of pages more than most people. However, it does stand to reason that people really interested in those sorts of things would interact a lot more with russian named content or content creators (which is NOT a bad thing. Merely a fact.), and this is a known behavior of translate services attempting to interpret roman spelling attempts of cyrllic words.

From the FB chain: It probably happens a lot more than people realize. For languages also using the roman script (french, spanish etc etc), google just takes english words and spits them back out unchanged. For languages that use a different language, it seems to try to take your input and interpret it as if it was the romanization of the native alphabet (This is probably a semi-desired behavior otherwise you might hear someone say something and you would never be able to get it translated because you don't know how it is spelled. Like da svidaniya as a phrase isn't that... it's до свидания.) Obviously though that is not a desired behavior when almost all the page is ACTUALLY in english instead of in that language. Feel free to test and try this in google translate. I only knew this was the issue because I had it occur to me while talking with a friend in a mixed russian and english situation and it freaked the shit out of me until I figured it out.

I posted images showing the exact translations seen in the video occurring.

EDIT: Oh look at that, free gets removed in a trivial sample translation.

https://translate.google.com/#ru/en/This hamburger is free yet gross to eat.

Google has so many real problems. We don't need to invent fake ones to stir even more shit up.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

On 10/23/2018 at 12:35 PM, Trik'Stari said:

It's long past time for that to change.

The first amendment applies to the government because of the power a government can wield, if a corporation assumes or creates a similar or greater level of power, why shouldn't it apply?

This reads a little bit in the opposite way you intend I think. 

Personally I am torn on that front,  there are good arguments on both side of the chasm of free speech.   Where does one persons freedom of speech end? how do we define the difference between basic speech and expression and coercive speech with repercussions?   Does forcing a private entity to associate with material it does not approve of then violate it's freedom of speech? 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

18 hours ago, LAwLz said:

This was already disproved by @Curufinwe_wins in another thread.

The LT;DR is that comments aren't being edited. It's just that the person who made the video has automatic translation on without realizing it and his browser is (locally) trying to translate from "Russian" to English.

Yeah, looked like this, because it could be a cross session bug/error, but the words changed *before (or as)* hit hit reply, not on reload of the comment box (so not on getting data from Youtube). So could only be a browser bug/error.

Google, making the best software in the world since forever... in 2018, still can't get it's GUI to tell you its gonna order a nuke to your doorstep because "automatic, and we are guaranteed it's not a bug/error... right... right... *can't trust the user*"... ;)

7 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Source?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

This reads a little bit in the opposite way you intend I think. 

Personally I am torn on that front,  there are good arguments on both side of the chasm of free speech.   Where does one persons freedom of speech end? how do we define the difference between basic speech and expression and coercive speech with repercussions?   Does forcing a private entity to associate with material it does not approve of then violate it's freedom of speech? 

I draw that line when the entity assumes a mantle of power to "inform" or "misinform" the electorate on a scale that has never before been witnessed in human history.

I'd offer them a choice.

Either follow free speech guide lines, admit to and apologize for your biased actions, and stop doing them.

Or have each of your companies broken into 6 pieces to be sold off to individual bidders, who cannot be in any way shape or form affiliated with the original company, and do so under the stipulation that non of the resulting companies may EVER merge together again. Nor may they be bought by larger corporations.

On 10/22/2018 at 4:50 PM, Netivity said:

You spelled reddit wrong.