How important are cosmetics to you?

MayhemMercenary

Hey everyone!

I recently finished building my new PC after using the same system for a couple years. I love the performance upgrade, but there’s a few things bugging me. One, my tempered glass side panel seems to have a few scratches in it near the front. Two, when installing the motherboard, I accidentally scuffed the IO shroud on the corner of the exhaust fan. Lastly, I was removing a piece of cling film from my mono, and I couldn’t get my finger under it to peel it. I ended up scraping away at the edge of the surface I was trying to remove it from, and also began to peel what I believe is clear coat. Anyway, each of these are minor cosmetic imperfections that only I know about, and are hardly noticeable to anyone else. It’s driving me crazy though, to the point where I considered returing the items to amazon and re-building the system. After all, it was a costly purchase and I want it to be perfect. Many people would probably view this as crazy though ? I am curious if other people are as OCD about cosmetics as I am, and I would just like to hear some other people’s thoughts. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, this is my first time posting here. Thanks guys!

3 minutes ago, MayhemMercenary said:

Hey everyone!

I recently finished building my new PC after using the same system for a couple years. I love the performance upgrade, but there’s a few things bugging me. One, my tempered glass side panel seems to have a few scratches in it near the front. Two, when installing the motherboard, I accidentally scuffed the IO shroud on the corner of the exhaust fan. Lastly, I was removing a piece of cling film from my mono, and I couldn’t get my finger under it to peel it. I ended up scraping away at the edge of the surface I was trying to remove it from, and also began to peel what I believe is clear coat. Anyway, each of these are minor cosmetic imperfections that only I know about, and are hardly noticeable to anyone else. It’s driving me crazy though, to the point where I considered returing the items to amazon and re-building the system. After all, it was a costly purchase and I want it to be perfect. Many people would probably view this as crazy though ? I am curious if other people are as OCD about cosmetics as I am, and I would just like to hear some other people’s thoughts. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, this is my first time posting here. Thanks guys!

I completely get what you mean, but don't explain it like this to amazon

The only parts of my PC that have been cosmetically-degraded are any screwholes such as my case fan mounting holes. I have a white NZXT S340 so the screw holes' white paint has been scraped away due to the amount of times I've mounted and removed case fans. It doesn't bother me much because they're hidden anyway! :D 

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

looks come last, performance is priority. i like when my computers look nice but if they dont perform as good as they look then i see no point

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My case is just a black box with no LED-lights, no see-through side-panels, no fancy fan-controllers or anything like that. My keyboard is a no-nonsense Logitech mechanical keyboard with simple white backlight, the mouse is similarly understated and designed to fit my hand well, not to draw any attention, and so on. This is to say, comfort comes first, value-for-money second and there's a couple of other points in between with looks coming in towards the least important end of the spectrum. Hell, I'd happily use a horribly ugly, banged-up case, if it performed well and was easy to use.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Cosmetics are very important to me. I wear foundation and eyeliner every day.

o.O

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

For me, as I've gotten older, flashy cosmetics have gone by the wayside, to a degree.

I've found I like minimalist with a slight touch of flair, if that makes sense.

My case is a S340 Elite, black, with a black Motherboard. I do have RGB on my water block, addressed to white, same for the shroud on my 1080ti. I have accent lighting LED strips which are addressed to a dim orange glow, similar to accent lighting you might find in a house (think this or this on a less intense level)

I'm glad that clean-line, minimalist cases have come about.  The sharp edges, and angular designs from the 2010's never appealed to me, even when I liked flashy.

The aesthetics that I care most about are a clean look. Much like the office I have it in. PSU shroud, and good cable management come to mind here as some of the big factors that make a clean look.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Just place your pc further away from you, and hope you don't notice small imperfection.

Also if you have minimal lighting it will make it quite hard to see it. If you just have ambient lighting from components and also tinted window helps.

Magical Pineapples

11 hours ago, MayhemMercenary said:

Anyway, each of these are minor cosmetic imperfections that only I know about, and are hardly noticeable to anyone else. It’s driving me crazy

Same here. 

I usually don't mind cosmetic imperfections, but only if I didn't deface the item.  
Both my phones are cracked, but I don't mind. I bought them that way. 

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

13 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

I completely get what you mean, but don't explain it like this to amazon

Luckily Amazon seems pretty relaxed on returns and they don't require a long description to take the item back. 

13 hours ago, seoz said:

The only parts of my PC that have been cosmetically-degraded are any screwholes such as my case fan mounting holes. I have a white NZXT S340 so the screw holes' white paint has been scraped away due to the amount of times I've mounted and removed case fans. It doesn't bother me much because they're hidden anyway! :D 

Screw hole paint stripping doesn't bother me either, there is no way to avoid it. I've had one experience with an NZXT Case and it was the easiest case I've owned to scratch, so it's in my closet now. :D I guess I just need to be more careful. 

13 hours ago, WereCatf said:

My case is just a black box with no LED-lights, no see-through side-panels, no fancy fan-controllers or anything like that. My keyboard is a no-nonsense Logitech mechanical keyboard with simple white backlight, the mouse is similarly understated and designed to fit my hand well, not to draw any attention, and so on. This is to say, comfort comes first, value-for-money second and there's a couple of other points in between with looks coming in towards the least important end of the spectrum. Hell, I'd happily use a horribly ugly, banged-up case, if it performed well and was easy to use.

I wish I was this way, as it would probably save me money and stress over small dings and scratches.

13 hours ago, Ross Siggers said:

Cosmetics are very important to me. I wear foundation and eyeliner every day.

o.O

I suppose aesthetics would've been a better word xD   

13 hours ago, Semper said:

For me, as I've gotten older, flashy cosmetics have gone by the wayside, to a degree.

My case is a S340 Elite, black, with a black Motherboard. I do have RGB on my water block, addressed to white, same for the shroud on my 1080ti. I have accent lighting LED strips which are addressed to a dim orange glow, similar to accent lighting you might find in a house (think this or this on a less intense level)

I'm glad that clean-line, minimalist cases have come about.  The sharp edges, and angular designs from the 2010's never appealed to me, even when I liked flashy.

The aesthetics that I care most about are a clean look. Much like the office I have it in. PSU shroud, and good cable management come to mind here as some of the big factors that make a clean look.

Hopefully it is something I will grow out of as well. I do auto detailing as a hobby, so I have grown accustomed to looking for scratches and other damage. I think the attention to detail on cars has carried over to everything I own. I am not as crazy about other things, only with these new parts of mine. Maybe on my next build I will go with a more minimalist setup like yours to save myself from the hassle. 

1 hour ago, xKyric said:

Same here. 

I usually don't mind cosmetic imperfections, but only if I didn't deface the item.  
Both my phones are cracked, but I don't mind. I bought them that way. 

I'm glad I am not the only one. I am still considering buying a new board and sending back my old one. I have also contacted Thermaltake about the side panel. I have 30 days to make my decision based on Amazon's return policy. The only thing stopping me is the fact I'll be missing $185 from my wallet for a week or two as Amazon processes my refund. 

I used to not care about it but nowadays that i can spare a few bucks on a nicer case and have time to do cable management i try to make the PC look as good as i can.

I have a new case coming around tomorrow, i already got in touch with the guy who applies window tint to tint the side panel for me and i already have everything i need to make it look right.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

I do care but only about what's fairly visible.  In my current setup, that's monitors, peripherals, etc. but the case itself and internals definitely don't matter.  When it comes to a laptop, again I care, but what I consider good might be more lax than some.  Or maybe not... I've seen some horrible garbage out there lol

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I would say as long as it works then that's fine, but if it's driving you crazy then it doesn't sound like you have many options,

but I don't really care all that much, if it is new and I damage it I will want to kick myself, which is why I like things that already look damaged so I don't have to worry about damaging it.

although my soul gets crushed a little more every time I see the damage to my case. . .

† 

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

Cry havoc and let slip the Togs of war.  (Signature V3)

If you want me to reply, tag me @Tog Driver, Or quote me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
‭‭II Corinthians‬ ‭13:14

21 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

I would say as long as it works then that's fine, but if it's driving you crazy then it doesn't sound like you have many options,

but I don't really care all that much, if it is new and I damage it I will want to kick myself, which is why I like things that already look damaged so I don't have to worry about damaging it.

although my soul gets crushed a little more every time I see the damage to my case. . .

You are right, I filed for a return to amazon and a new one will be here tomorrow. I couldn't take it, so I am just going to fix it. I need to be extremely careful so I don't make the same mistake, otherwise Amazon may ban me from their service xD

16 hours ago, Semper said:

I thought I was the only one. The perfect marriage. Simple, but with a subtle pop of something. Your second example suits this perfectly. Très belle.

2 hours ago, MayhemMercenary said:

You are right, I filed for a return to amazon and a new one will be here tomorrow. I couldn't take it, so I am just going to fix it. I need to be extremely careful so I don't make the same mistake, otherwise Amazon may ban me from their service xD

Really, if You can't stand it and will go insane, what others are saying on the internet doesn't really matter, we might think you are weird for going insane for that reason, but it is your sanity after all.

Also, I can't really blame you, If I had something brand new and beautiful and it got damaged right away I would want it new again, I didn't get time to enjoy it, I would know it's not going to last forever but I paid for "New and Shiny" so I need to enjoy it for at least a little bit.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

18 hours ago, MayhemMercenary said:

this is my first time posting here. Thanks guys!

and welcome to the forum!

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

None at all, I'd still love my PC if it were an old beige box. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:41 PM, TheClueLessMajority said:

and welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I replaced it and now everything is good. I might work on cable management a little more, but after replacing the mobo I think I am done messing with it for a while. 

55 minutes ago, MayhemMercenary said:

Thank you! I replaced it and now everything is good. I might work on cable management a little more, but after replacing the mobo I think I am done messing with it for a while. 

But can you see the cable management? . . . 

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

2 minutes ago, TheClueLessMajority said:

But can you see the cable management? . . . 

The case has all glass side panels, but the right and back sides are against a wall. I just want to clean up the main compartment a little. 

8 hours ago, MayhemMercenary said:

The case has all glass side panels, but the right and back sides are against a wall. I just want to clean up the main compartment a little. 

I guess that makes sense.

† 

In Flanders fields.

In Flanders fields.

On 10/23/2018 at 5:45 AM, Raskolnikov said:

None at all, I'd still love my PC if it were an old beige box. 

Sleeper pc :P

Positive Mental Additude!

Just another Tired IT guy...

It bothers me horrendously, and I hate little imperfections. I just bought a surface laptop 2, and am so annoyed over a little extra gap between the hinge and the body on one side. It's so small nobody would care but I do.

Thing is that I hate spending large amounts of money, and when I do it needs to be perfect. I'm a pesky customer but I want everything to be as described, like when we moved into our flat I managed to get £5 a week per person off the rent because the internet is garbage and we were promised more. If you didn't scratch your side panel then I'd kick off, but I'd have sent it back before building the computer in it. A computer is an expensive thing so it's important that it's perfect.