[Update with Pricing] Google forces European Android OEMS to pay Up To $40 licensing fee per device for Google Apps

AlTech
1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

However we should consider that google search is available on almost any platform, and google maps is available on both iOS and Android - the main aspect is they worked very collaboratively on that. 

Google Search, as in, using a web browser to access the web page "google.com", is available on almost every platform, sure.

And Google Maps being on iOS is simple: iOS was too big for Google to ignore - they were too well entrenched by the time Google Maps became popular for mobile devices.

If Apple came out with iOS today, with 0% market share, as a new player? You'd be insane to think Google would willingly port Google Maps or YouTube to the platform.

And that's the problem. Google refuses to put their services on new platforms unless forced to. And yes, they're a private company, and can decide where to put their stuff - definitely. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Google is using their dominant position as a software service provider to discourage competitor mobile platforms from arising.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/16/2018 at 8:39 PM, AluminiumTech said:

How this is not illegal under EU laws I do not know -_-. Google effectively is achieving the same outcome as before but now with revenue for OEMs which don't bundle apps with Chrome and Search.

you can actually do whatever the f you like, the problem is that sometimes that is also illegal. I feel more billionaire fines incoming. If you want to sell in EU you have to abide by the EU laws, only way to go around it is just not selling in EU.

Google is run by smart idiots.

17 hours ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Google is on its way to replace the Android OS with Fuschia, which doesn't depend on the Linux kernel at all. They can do this after years of R&D and commercial development of the Android/Linux OS, for which they have developed considerable expertise. From there, Google is basically going to be on the same level as Apple when it comes to dictating software policies moving forward.

I think at that point or likely before then I'll probably have made the switch to apple.  I don't like the thought of Google running the entire OS and kernal of my personal phone.

45 minutes ago, LordOTaco said:

I think at that point or likely before then I'll probably have made the switch to apple.  I don't like the thought of Google running the entire OS and kernal of my personal phone.

Especially if they make Fuchsia proprietary.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On 10/22/2018 at 6:18 AM, dalekphalm said:

Google Search, as in, using a web browser to access the web page "google.com", is available on almost every platform, sure.

And Google Maps being on iOS is simple: iOS was too big for Google to ignore - they were too well entrenched by the time Google Maps became popular for mobile devices.

If Apple came out with iOS today, with 0% market share, as a new player? You'd be insane to think Google would willingly port Google Maps or YouTube to the platform.

And that's the problem. Google refuses to put their services on new platforms unless forced to. And yes, they're a private company, and can decide where to put their stuff - definitely. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Google is using their dominant position as a software service provider to discourage competitor mobile platforms from arising.

I'd just like to say that apples version of maps was dangerously wrong at times, so even though I hate google, at least their maps don't send you into the desert.

Also google did exactly that to MS with WP and youtube.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

I'd just like to say that apples version of maps was dangerously wrong at times, so even though I hate google, at least their maps don't send you into the desert.

Also google did exactly that to MS with WP and youtube.

I'd also want to chime in from Asia: The competitors to Google Maps are huge at the moment. Apple Maps is actually much more reliable in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, with it often giving more conservative travel estimates that have saved me for business meetings. LINE, WeChat, and Baidu are far superior options when I'm in China, HongKong, Vietnam. In East and South Asia, I've often had to use local alternatives instead.

On 10/19/2018 at 1:04 PM, asus killer said:

i believe you ignored the links i posted.

GAPPS being proprietary have nothing to do with your argument that android as an OS is not open source. Its like saying Ubuntu is not open source because it runs crapvidia's proprietary driver.... Its the same level of dumbness.