RTX 2070 Reviews

Deus Voltage
2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

The worry for me is pricing. Whilst the MSRP is $499, board partner AIBs will likely be closer to the $599 mark that the FE retails for.

According to GN and PcPer, Evga Black is $100 less than FE. It is only an example of one but it gives me hope. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Why are people still comparing the price to RRP of 2-4 years ago on different products?  Do you all complain when you buy a new car that it doesn't cost the same as a new car did 4 years ago?  Don't know if people have been living under rocks but we've had several major problems with tech causing the prices to go up.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Why are people still comparing the price to RRP of 2-4 years ago on different products?  Do you all complain when you buy a new car that it doesn't cost the same as a new car did 4 years ago?  Don't know if people have been living under rocks but we've had several major problems with tech causing the prices to go up.  

I somehow still think it makes the Pascal GPUs more enticing 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I saw an article by PCgamer that 2070 is only 12% faster than a 1080 but costs 33% more. they didn't seem to get the memo that 1080 doesn't support RTX.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

9 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I somehow still think it makes the Pascal GPUs more enticing 

It does if you don't care about the other stuff in the RTX cards that should come into their own later on (like dlss).  So far if a 1080 and 2070 are the same price but the 2070 performs a smidgen better and still has optimizations to come (cos they always do) and still has all the RTX stuff, which one are you going to buy?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

I saw an article by PCgamer that 2070 is only 12% faster than a 1080 but costs 33% more. they didn't seem to get the memo that 1080 doesn't support RTX.

No game currently has an RTX implementation and RTX is up in the air at the moment, best case it gets in a few games over the years, worst case it’s a complete flop. Also not to mention that it looked like RTX severely impacted performance, with 2080 Ti struggling to keep 1080p 60fps. I honestly don’t think RTX should have any bearing on your decision at the moment as it’s still unexplored territory.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

It does if you don't care about the other stuff in the RTX cards that should come into their own later on (like dlss).  So far if a 1080 and 2070 are the same price but the 2070 performs a smidgen better and still has optimizations to come (cos they always do) and still has all the RTX stuff, which one are you going to buy?

DLSS was just a scaler though, did you look at the deep dive videos? 4K with DLSS is not native 4K, it improves performance by using a lower resolution and upscaling it.

1 minute ago, schwellmo92 said:

DLSS was just a scaler though, did you look at the deep dive videos? 4K with DLSS is not native 4K, it improves performance by using a lower resolution and upscaling it.

Yes I know.  Now imagine if you have two cards both with the same number of cuda cores, which is going to perform better, the one rendering at 1080P or the one rendering a 4K?   The whole idea of DLSS is that you don't need to render at 4k to get 4K quality because DLSS can make the 2K render look just as good leaving you with those extra coooda's to improve things the DLSS can't do.  

15 minutes ago, schwellmo92 said:

There's two DLSS modes, Native 4k and reduced resolution 4k.

21 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

would be really good imo if hey launched this at the same or similar msrp to the 970 or hell even closer to the 1070 but at this price I'm really not seeing it. A 1080 is cheaper and wayyy cheaper used. They're trying to take advantage of the fact that gpu prices for the 10 series stayed high for so long due to mining. 

For reference

970 launch price- 329 USD

1070 launch price- 379 USD

2070 launch price - 499 USD

Maybe you need to bring a gun when you try to buy one? I mean it's not technically robbery if you're just using it to negotiate a discount…right?

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Yes I know.  Now imagine if you have two cards both with the same number of cuda cores, which is going to perform better, the one rendering at 1080P or the one rendering a 4K?   The whole idea of DLSS is that you don't need to render at 4k to get 4K quality because DLSS can make the 2K render look just as good leaving you with those extra coooda's to improve things the DLSS can't do.  

The videos I saw showed that DLSS 4K was not as good as native 4K, it was similar to 1800p and funnily enough running the game at 1800p native without DLSS produced similar frame rates to “4K” DLSS.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Perhaps if you care for those. For me, I’ll probably wait and see how it stacks up.

RTX isn’t yet tested, so I wouldn’t rush out to get one yet 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

No game currently has an RTX implementation and RTX is up in the air at the moment, best case it gets in a few games over the years, worst case it’s a complete flop. Also not to mention that it looked like RTX severely impacted performance, with 2080 Ti struggling to keep 1080p 60fps. I honestly don’t think RTX should have any bearing on your decision at the moment as it’s still unexplored territory.

and 2 years from now 1080 will still won't support RTX and 2070 will, and the article will be invalid. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

8 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

The videos I saw showed that DLSS 4K was not as good as native 4K, it was similar to 1800p and funnily enough running the game at 1800p native without DLSS produced similar frame rates to “4K” DLSS.

How good dlss is still remains to be seen sure, but given it is a subjective thing (and likely also going to be somewhat dependent on the quality of your screen) claiming the 1080 is more appealing when it literally has nothing to offer over the 2070 is kinda weird don't you think, even if the 2070 turns out to hopeless with dlss (which I doubt) then you still haven't lost anything, but if you buy a 1080 now you don't even get the chance to have it.

7 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Perhaps if you care for those. For me, I’ll probably wait and see how it stacks up.

RTX isn’t yet tested, so I wouldn’t rush out to get one yet 

The only thing I would say to that is if you are not going to rush out then you are not in a hurry,  so the wisest thing to do would be to wait and see how good they turn out. Otherwise why buy a 1080 when for the same price you can get a slightly better performing 2070 with the future possibility of even reasonable RTX and dlss as options?  I fail to see how the 1080 is more appealing when it has nothing to offer over the 2070 and (in Aus.) is only 10% cheaper.

This doesn't convince me to pass up my Founders Edition 1070 for 1080p144 gaming.

The 1070 is still overkill for everything I do/play.

RTX/GTX 2000 series is a boring launch so far. Maybe it'll be exciting if/when it hits laptops, but it still likely won't be much there either. The biggest benefit I can see with 2000 series hitting laptops is Pascal models will become significantly cheaper for those looking to buy into mobile.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

Cheapest 2070 here is the evga black at 619 euro and top is 779 euro (most are 649 to 729 euro) (2080 is around 1000 euro and the 2080ti 1300-1500 euro)

Founders is 629 euro

Premium prices for tech that wont be used for years

At this rate the next gen will be 1000 / 1500 / 2000 euro prices

This is absolute madness

Let's agree to disagree

I was checking stock of 2080Ti today, so I bought a Gigabyte 2070 Windforce. How did that happen? It should arrive tomorrow, so will have a play with it then.

Part of the decision process was that, in general, it was similar to or faster than a 1080, and at the time I was looking, the cheapest 2070 cards were the same price as the cheapest 1080 cards. I did have another look at the supplier, basically all the stock of the cheaper cards have gone, but some of the more expensive ones are still around.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, MrTiC said:

Premium prices for tech that wont be used for years

how did you conclude this?

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Otherwise why buy a 1080 when for the same price you can get a slightly better performing 2070 with the future possibility of even reasonable RTX and dlss as options?  I fail to see how the 1080 is more appealing when it has nothing to offer over the 2070 and (in Aus.) is only 10% cheaper.

If the delta is about 10% or less, it's almost an easy decision to make when it comes to upgrading 

14 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

If the delta is about 10% or less, it's almost an easy decision to make when it comes to upgrading 

It would appear that it performs about 10% faster than a 1080 and costs about 10% more (here in Aus). plus it has the RTX and DLSS shit in it.  It's a bit of a no brainer if you ask me,

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

It would appear that it performs about 10% faster than a 1080 and costs about 10% more (here in Aus). plus it has the RTX and DLSS shit in it.  It's a bit of a no brainer if you ask me,

Hope we can find them closer to MSRP

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Hope we can find them closer to MSRP

Unlikely, everyone loves to add their profit margin, and when retailers can blame bitcoin, supply demand and ram prices that profit only gets bigger.  :(

The cheapest 2070 in aus that I have found is about $670 US.

Just now, mr moose said:

The cheapest 2070 in aus that I have found is about $670 US.

O O F

I think the only one I've found at the $499 MSRP is that EVGA one

So much like the rest of the RTX line it's not worth it due to the price to performance ratio. Kinda funny how the big selling point of these cards isn't really useful these days for games. Games and engines have gotten to the point that having RTX on barely makes a difference and it can even hinder your system by mkaing it run harder.