Is Windows 10 as bad as the Windows subreddits make it out to be?

AS162

Title. I haven’t dealt with many of the data loss issues apparently but I’m still mostly an 8.1 holdout and if 10 really is that bad, I will load a hypervisor instead of windows 10 and allocate lots of resources, just to ensure I can still run 8.1 with near full performance in a VM on a new computer I’m buying

It's more so a pain in the ass to remove all the preinstalled trash that comes with it. Ads, 3D Objects, Cortona, One Drive, Windows Store, Xbox trash, and all the stupid apps. Not that it's hard to remove these things.. it's more of a hassle. Edit the reg, edit your start up apps, remove telemetry, yada, yada, yada.. Give me a bare bones OS with the option to add that trash.

I can only talk for myself, but I have used Windows 10 already from pre-release versions and I haven't had any issues with it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Apart from the bloatware (which is fairly easy to remove anyway), the random Windows updates, the occasional Windows software errors, and the hassle of activation, I haven't seen much issues with Windows 10.

My PC, laptop, old PC, and my brother's PC all use Windows 10, and they have all had zero significant issues.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

reddit is the shit here, now, back on topic

it's possible to uninstall those programs and even replace the start menu, however it's still easier to install another windows version instead, 7 for me, I did tried 10 and haven't noticed any performance increase over the old version, I was able to solve the updates problem (pc restarting itself to update even when you're using it) but went back to 7 anyway

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I'm going to quote myself once again on this subject 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

I have to disagree. I've talked before about the split experience on 10- how ms seems to be gas lighting people by rolling out certain things to small parts of the user base. It become very apparent if you install regular pro on multiple pcs and dont modify it. One of my computers, before I modified it, would force update in less than a day, most wouldn't, and one would never. One bugged me daily because I had a local account. One reset my browser to edge once a day, every day from day 1One ignored all notifcation settings and displayed ads for stuff, usually ms products and edge daily. Seemed to be not based on hardware at all, but im not sure. I just know it happened in VMs too. Ms does terrible shit, but does it to some people and not others, so when people complain people will be like "ITS NOT HAPPENING TO ME ITS YOU OP STOP BLAMING MS SINCE YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO USE WINDOWS". 
I've also seen pro ignore registry entries, or group policy after updates, and settings get rolled back often without updates being involved. 
I've since used some registry edits (that I re apply after updates), a tweaking program called winaero tweaker (great program), and on some machines LTSB to solve these problems. I've never before had windows behave so differently on different machines like this, and I would honestly pay MS for LTSB if I could simply to not deal with this shit as a personal user.  

I'm not saying it's 100% not their fault, I'm saying is it's possible something else is going on. 

One of these days I'm going to test this split experience thing in a control environment. It seems to work like a/b testing and kinda how google rolls out youtube updates- a fresh session means you have a chance of getting it, but it seems to be just a permanent split experience and not update testing. I will test this some day and post results, it's really interesting. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I agree with WereCatf, I haven't had any issues and this is across 3 systems and multiple re-installs and hardware changes. Not to say they're aren't issues with it, but if you use it as advertised, most of the added features (or annoyances if you will) either help me out occasionally or I can easily turn most of them off and don't notice them. Yes, if you want 100% full control and a super lightweight system, then no Win10 is not for you, but if you are ok with a learning curve (both on your end and Microsoft's) and just use your computer as most people do (gaming, web browsing, media consumption, file storage and management, and some lightweight video/picture editing) it works just fine, keeps itself up to date, and doesn't crash. All you need is to spend a few minutes setting it all up the way you want, making sure updates are set to a time you don't use it, disabling app suggestions, and make sure you use it with an SSD (as win 10 is NOT optimized from HDDs, try leaving superfetch on and running it off a HDD for a few months and see how long it takes to fully start up). I mean you can go crazy with Windows and have it do all sorts of things but you can't expect it to be 100% perfect when you start diving into some of those more customizable/advanced features/configurations.

Also, that data loss issue appeared to be related to people that are signed in to an empty OneDrive account that is also the same username/login as their local account and OneDrive syncs the empty folders back to your local machine and overwrites what is there. Very specific case, but a lot of uninformed/ not technical users just setup their new win10 computer with a Microsoft account (as it almost forces you too) and gives you a OneDrive account with that Microsoft account automatically and sets it up for you so it is always there and signed in even if you never used it or even knew about it. So I think you dodged that one.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

I used to be one of those Win7 guys. I'd never change to Windows 10 then a few months back I figured I give it a real shot. After it was all installed and updated something weird was going on. My mouse cursor was real twitchy. Then it took a bit of time to get things going like an app and stuff and got to the point where it was time to do a reinstall. Instead of going back to windows 7 like I wanted to I still didnt give windows 10 what I thought was a real try so I installed it again did all the updates and its been fine since. It grew on me very fast.

16 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I'm going to quote myself once again on this subject 

Based on your quote of yourself... That is interesting... I wonder how many of these people with issues are on an OEM build of windows. Like Dell has their OEM version of windows 10 with all their custom drivers, software, BIOS, and sometimes it's all integrated with the windows system files. Which all could mess with how windows 10 is supposed to run. Like if you bought 2 pre-built computers from Dell, left one the way it came and the other re-install windows 10 from Microsoft directly (not Dells OEM version) and see if they both get the same issues or not. There's a lot of scenarios to test with windows 10... 

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Alright so before I go to the nuclear option (install ESX to get the thing on 8.1) is it possible to get a surface book 2 or any coffee lake laptop on 8.1 with most drivers (not all of them, most, mainly networking, USB, and graphics)

The laptops you can borrow from my university's library use Windows 10 and when I took mine out it spent 5 minutes trying to log me in, then another 10 restarting, then the second attempt of logging in took less than 30 seconds.

If you can get used to the alternative use-style, going to Linux for a few months and then going back to Windows is like crossing from one brown field to another, only to look back and see your first field was actually on fire. Not to say Linux is in any way perfect (hence both brown fields, let's not start on that here, it's a surefire way to get threads locked).

It's been evident to me that ever since Microsoft started seeing users as a product, and Windows as a tool instead of the other way around, things have deteriorated. This doesn't even account for the fact they refuse to fix some of the OSs biggest flaws.

EDIT: I just realized my last analogy wasn't quite right... Still i think you know what I meant by it.

45 minutes ago, James Evens said:

It is so good that i needed a third party start menu because the search did not worked in the original menu.

It is awesome if you can drink a tea because you system restarts automatically for updates.

The idea of placing space holder in the explorer (windows 8 onedrive) so you don't need to download the file them to see them in the explorer was special and Microsoft thought just make onedrive like the good cloud storages and they don't have this so remove this feature will make onedrive great.

What is more fun then checking that the settings are the same after the update?

Yes that was an issue i was having, but resetting windows, not restarting fixed that problem.

After setup honestly I haven't had any problems with it in 2 years

is it bad? yes, it is a shitshow to keep managed... its like trying to pull a dog sled with cats..

is it as bad as the sort of folks like at reddit make it out to be? no.. just keep those cats happy and things are good. or turn those cats into carpets ofcourse ;)

Just remember that people are more likely to go complain about something than they are to praise/complement it. 

I've personally had no issues with w10, but I do acknowledge others have. Chances are you're always going to be dealing with the vocal minority 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

Just remember that people are more likely to go complain about something than they are to praise/complement it. 

I've personally had no issues with w10, but I do acknowledge others have. Chances are you're always going to be dealing with the vocal minority 

i deal with ~300 windows 10 machines every day, its a shitshow, but the shitshow is a defenate minority.

4 hours ago, pipnina said:

The laptops you can borrow from my university's library use Windows 10 and when I took mine out it spent 5 minutes trying to log me in, then another 10 restarting, then the second attempt of logging in took less than 30 seconds.

That is your university IT at fault.

I don't know what is happening exactly, I need to see the system, but usually:

1. Back-end might have not been updated since ages.. in my career as IT, I have seen IT setups with some very poorly coded Visual Basic scripts run at login/logoff that do stuff that Group Policies or Windows has a feature for, because it was done at a time where Windows didn't have this (like there was a script from Windows NT 3 days). And the mentality of "It works, don't touch" was applied.
  2. Since Windows 7, Windows support sync of profile (including data a person can put) with the server as it happens. Meaning, if you create or download a document, say, and you put it in Document, it will be uploaded to the server on the back so that it is accessible on any system. Before, in older versions of Windows, it would sync only at logoff (or login if it was the first time), so it could take ages. They may have legacy setup at play, or need to support older systems (maybe XP systems).
  3. Network state. As the system is on a domain, it needs to communicate with the server. If the network is overloaded or throttling is imposed, the system experience can be reduced, mixed with #2, you are in for some bad times.
  4. Wonderful anti-virus. Enterprise A/V and security solution software tend to be very aggressive to justify their premium price. As a results you have scanning when Windows loads, or Windows own files, you have scanning when the account is loaded, you have scanning on everything you touch. Mixed with a weak-ass CPU and your typical 7200RPM or worst 5400RPM drive or eMMC memory... you are in for a painfully slow ride.

This is what comes to mind at the moment.

So 2 out of 3 computers in my house have W10, my PC uses W7 because I cant stand W10.

Obviously time would allow me to get around the changes made between the versions in terms of usability, but...

The 'problems' with W10 are just unnecessary complications from the changes made, and the bloatware and data collection/spyware in W10 by default is appalling.

Yes it can be 'fixed' but it’s another unnecessary hassle to deal with. Digging through the new interface and locations for things to find and uninstall half the sh*t, then using 3rd party programs, command line, and reg edits to remove and fix the rest ..it’s just not worth it.

W7 is fine for me. W8 was trash, 8.1 fixed some of it, but its still meh imo,.. so yea W7 for me, just need to keep an eye on updates to ensure I dont accidently install a W7 version of a W10 updates that adds data collection or some other sh*t i dont need.

W10 isnt as bad as reddit makes out,, i mean nothing is :P ..but even still, unless you NEED somthing that W10 has over W7, i always sugest people stick with W7, atleast untill it no longer gets security updates. Its a proper OS, not some POS that seems to have been made with the idea that the OS knows better than the user -.- and forces sh*t on you.

On a side note. If you have W10 and are fed up with searching for the new locations for certain options, which iirc are now split between the now buried control panel and a settings app, then enable 'godmode' on ur desktop.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

@SolarNova I kinda like 8.1 personally with startisback and a couple other things including aeroglass for 8.1, which with those things make it to me a much better 7. Everyone has their own opinion tho so I won’t judge. Both 7 and 8.1 were excellent in my eyes and were real operating systems. Looks like I’m going the hypervisor route then since 10 is pretty unstable right now :).

People likes win7, win8/8.1 or win10 because most of them using these systems without any serious configuration. So with default config someone likes win7 more, other users likes win10, because system default configuration is nice for them. But if you configure everything you like, spend some time to tune your system the way you want, install all necessary tools and programs for making your work better, it will be just the same - no matter if you using win7, 8, 8.1 or 10. This requires some knowledge, but it's not 1999 - it's 2018 and you can find anything on internet, every tip, every solution (of course after you filter 95% of crap).

So if you hear people that complains about win10, it's more like they complain about default config and their lack of knowledge. It's the same like people complain about win8 and missing start menu - smart people installs 3rd party software (sometimes even better than original) if they want start menu, other people just complain and say that "win8 sucks".

And this may be strange, but personally I'm trying to use Windows without using Microsoft tools. So I don't use Edge or IE, I don't use Explorer, built-in video player, music player, email software, graphics tools etc. I don't even use start menu for years (I have my own floating toolbars thanks to Directory Opus). This way I don't really care what Microsoft change in future version of Windows. I choose software I use by myself, so I complain less.

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

1. Wonderful anti-virus. Enterprise A/V and security solution software tend to be very aggressive to justify their premium price. As a results you have scanning when Windows loads, or Windows own files, you have scanning when the account is loaded, you have scanning on everything you touch. Mixed with a weak-ass CPU and your typical 7200RPM or worst 5400RPM drive or eMMC memory... you are in for a painfully slow ride.

This is what comes to mind at the moment.

Well it could just be a slow HDD, Windows 10 is known to be more I/O heavy than ever, I wouldn't be surprised if that has a 5200 RPM HDD, that would be slow even on Linux (A bit less maybe but still) 

Anyway imo the fact there are a lot of user complaining means the use cases are a lot, it's the most used desktop OS, different hardware configuration and drivers can cause issues and the culprit can be Windows 10 or not. 

18 hours ago, pipnina said:

It's been evident to me that ever since Microsoft started seeing users as a product, and Windows as a tool instead of the other way around, things have deteriorated. This doesn't even account for the fact they refuse to fix some of the OSs biggest flaws.

EDIT: I just realized my last analogy wasn't quite right... Still i think you know what I meant by it.

But... you can also perfectly agree with that statement. 
At least the Windows Insider program is something at solving problems.

Even if that doesn't seem enough (Just look at the recent flaws for the latest update) so yeah, it is not perfect like every OS, its design could be really improved and in some ways it can be worse than (I don't want to start an OS war now) Linux, in fact I would never use Windows on a server because you wouldn't even be able what to choose/update on your OS or not. Personally I would just go for security updates I can see the binary/code changes of. Just my opinion

Edited by Guest

I bet my ass windows 10 is waaaay waaaay much much waaaaaaay better than windows 7 if they removed all the junk and the unnecessary services or features and stop trying to make it as internet services. dont get me started on microsoft office 2016 or 365. I wouln't let their product key close to my machine. If im going to install microsoft office, it would be microsoft office 2007.