The Verges credibility

5 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I never paid any attention to them, until they screwed up build an PC. Cool you miss built one, the issues I have is they then started to claim racism when people started criticizing them. 

That caused me to ignore anything else they write. 

The problem is that there WAS racism... of course, that doesn't excuse the poor quality of the video, but it's not like they pulled it out of thin air.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

8 hours ago, B1scu1T said:

This doesn't even try to be remotely balanced, it just takes a scoop of presumed social theory and parrots it out in application to the show. Pure burning garbage is an apt description.

Orientalism is hardly a disputed concept, especially from 1970s mainstream culture. The movie is based on 1970s tropes.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I feel like the Verge and IGN have the same problem, not having a consistent voice.  I have met some people from the Verge that are awesome and create fantastic content, but there are other times there something drops that is not exactly great.

I feel like it is easier to illustrate the point with IGN - with a single reviewer it is possible to find out their likes, dislikes, and where they are coming from.  For instance, if TotalBiscuit really loved a game, that basically meant I would hate it, but since he was a single person I was able to find out what he likes, dislikes, and know basically where he is coming from when he reviews a game.  On the other hand, with IGN I have no clue, some of my favorite games they give a 7, others a 9, other 5, like there is no way based off of an IGN review for me to find out if I will actually like the game, and the Verge falls into the same spot for hardware.

I'm sure there were tonnes of people at the Verge that saw the PC build video and immediately knew all the mistakes that were made in it, but the video never made it through that filter, which is really unfortunate since is tarnished other peoples work at the company that are doing really good stuff.  

11 hours ago, B1scu1T said:

I mean there was genuine rascism being hurled at the guy, and that isn't acceptable. The key is that they branded all the criticism as non-constructive harassment which is utter non-sense.

Owning mistakes and making an effort to reach out to the community to correct them would have killed this meme on its feet. Instead the Verge doubled down and acted like elitists, setting themselves as the baseline by which all other bad PC building practices will be compared.

Own worst enemy...

I completely agree, if they had owned the mistake I might even want to watch them ( I didn’t watch them to much to begin with but I knew who they where).

Linus (or someone at LTT) even reached out to them on Twitter saying that he will help them make a correct video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/verge/status/1040405022083895297

94B47A91-8FD6-4891-98A5-D52FA251066D.png

I take it this Verge is a electronics news source.

When it comes to info, if the "journalists" are too lazy to double check facts and they are just copy & paste and changing a few things around then they are regarded as worthless. Notice I used journalists in quotes, yes because they are not true writers, they are fake writers taking the easier way. Yahoo news now is a joke! Along with all the companies that provide for them like the CBC.

7 hours ago, Sauron said:

The problem is that there WAS racism... of course, that doesn't excuse the poor quality of the video, but it's not like they pulled it out of thin air.

There was some yes, and I wasn't trying to claim there was none I just get pissed off when people always play the race card. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 10/11/2018 at 10:41 AM, knightslugger said:

In recent memory, it was an animation about rifling. They showed the entire cartridge traveling down the length of the barrel instead of just the projectile. i'll post it below.

Hide contents

discovery-channel-rifling-gif.gif

Oh dear sweet god NO.

THAT IS ENTIRELY WRONG. WHAT THE FUCK?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

On 10/12/2018 at 4:21 PM, Sauron said:

The problem I see is that they focus on that, rather than focusing on the actual problems with the work they did. Not that racism is acceptable, but it surely was not the majority of what they received.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs