Previewing Intel's Threadripper 2 Killer?? - Intel Xeon Platinum 8180 vs AMD Threadripper 2990WX

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

On this weeks episode of parts you can never afford but are still infatuated with.....

its the 2nd this week, Next week we are looking at a dual eypc system with 16 2080TIs for 16 games 1 CPU.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Interesting.

I expect Intel to come to market at what, 4-4.25 ghz boost, so a retest of the actual cpu will be different but even if they remove ECC support, make it quad channel and other mainstream cost reductions, there is no way it will beat the Threadripper in price/performance.

Is there any way in hell this won't cost at least $5k USD?

I'm impressed with the Xeon's performance in lower thread count games.  But that was always the case with intel.

One note that stands out in my mind.  Performance to Watt is important in a Xeon where you are stacking up to 42 servers in a rack on top of each other.  Not so much for a workstation class CPU you can use more power because it's generally not going to be stressed 24/7 like you would expect a server to.   Also server power consumption being lower is a selling point.  Again not so much for a workstation class CPU.

A proper comparison between these two CPU's would be Intel's 24 core Xeon and a 24 core EPYC.   Think you guys could give us a test like that?

OH and also test it in I/O heavy workloads WITH the intel and AMD security patches for Meltdown and Specter.   Please?

Breaking news, LTT adds additional cores on the Intel side ;) 

bonestock.JPG

@LMG Ivan Did you still eat it? Therefore removing the unfair Intel advantage :D 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

I'll give you credit, you used previewed instead of tested like you did with Ryzen 3 and 5, but I still think the word you are looking is simulated. 

I for one thought you got a early sample or something from the title. 

One question though, how big is the monthly electricity bill for your office? I reckon it's something like the yearly budget of Monaco. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

40 minutes ago, LMG Ivan said:

Buy Xeon Platinum 8180 on Amazon: http://geni.us/htaq

Buy AMD Threadripper 2990WX on Amazon: http://geni.us/PMaV

wOw SuCh PrIcE tO pErFoRmAnCe

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

So, you can either buy an Intel system, or a threadripper one which performs similar and a car.

It's nice to see the competition is back :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

50 minutes ago, machine_gun said:

What brand/model of open chassis are those?

I believe they're Primochill wet benches

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I have to disagree about gaming the only one is EvE Mutilboxing. Running 12 or 18 Clients at the same time use a crap ton CPU and Ram, I will admit a very rare use case for sure.

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

So, you can either buy an Intel system, or a threadripper one which performs similar and a car.

It's nice to see the competition is back :P

HEDT platforms are almost never cheap, unless you go backwards to something like X58 or in some cases, X79-99.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Wait a minute... "Preview"... didn't we have a discussion about this already? Guys, this title is misleading–hell, this is almost exactly a copy of the very video that sparked the Episode 5 of Honest Answers about clickbait.

This isn't a preview; maybe it's a performance preview. You told us to let you know when things are going wrong, so I'm doing it. I know this video doesn't have the dislikes of the Ryzen 5 one, and I'm probably the minority, but adding another word or two in the title isn't going to keep anyone from clicking on it and does a lot for accuracy.

Did everyone involved in making this video seriously not know which part of the leg is the knee?