PSU Disposal Questions

Go to solution Solved by BlueChinchillaEatingDorito,
5 minutes ago, IronMarauder said:

I decided recently to upgrade the psu on my gaming rig and am wondering what to do with my original psu (it still works perfectly fine). It's a Corsair CX600M 80+ Bronze semi modular psu that I purchased on Black Friday 2014. My major components were never overclocked. Is this something I would be able to sell for cheap (if so how much would be a good price? I always imagined that it would probably be better/safer to just buy a new cheap 80+ bronze psu), or donate (does anyone know if freegeek accepts psu donations? They are located in the city I live.) or dispose of otherwise if the other options are not viable.

Thanks for the advice 

FreeGeek? Are you in Vancouver? I don't see why they won't. You can also look into a ReturnIt Depot as many nowadays also accept Electronic waste. Or alternatively you can just keep it as a spare. I keep lots of spare parts as I help out friends and family with their systems. You never know when you'll need one. 

I decided recently to upgrade the psu on my gaming rig and am wondering what to do with my original psu (it still works perfectly fine). It's a Corsair CX600M 80+ Bronze semi modular psu that I purchased on Black Friday 2014. My major components were never overclocked. Is this something I would be able to sell for cheap (if so how much would be a good price? I always imagined that it would probably be better/safer to just buy a new cheap 80+ bronze psu), or donate (does anyone know if freegeek accepts psu donations? They are located in the city I live.) or dispose of otherwise if the other options are not viable.

Thanks for the advice 

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

1 minute ago, IronMarauder said:

Thanks for the advice 

Not 100% sure. 

I know in Michigan where I live the city and county like twice a year take hazardous waste. Batteries, paint, old electronics. This way you know its being disposed of properly. HOWEVER, If the PSU is still in good shape, Im sure you can sell it and make a little money. I discovered facebook marketplace a few months back when I replaced my desk. Had eleventy billion offers for my desk. Sold it in about a day. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, IronMarauder said:

Thanks for the advice 

FreeGeek? Are you in Vancouver? I don't see why they won't. You can also look into a ReturnIt Depot as many nowadays also accept Electronic waste. Or alternatively you can just keep it as a spare. I keep lots of spare parts as I help out friends and family with their systems. You never know when you'll need one. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Freegeek takes anything related to electronics.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Shame to see a PSU that's still under warranty get considered for scrap.  :(

33 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Yep, I'm in Vancouver. Keeping it as a spare would be nice, but I still live at home and my parents would rather not have it sitting around taking up space for no reason. 

16 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Is it still under warranty? I don't have much of the original material left (I probably have the manual that came with it somewhere). I don't want to throw it away if I don't have to, that is a last resort if I cant find it a new home (another PC or freegeek).

29 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Freegeek takes anything related to electronics.

I'll look into that. 

Thanks for the help people.

My PC: CPU: Intel i5 4590, @3.30GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H97-D3H, GPU: Gigabyte AMD R9290, PSU: Corsair CX 600M RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X4GB 1600 CL 10, Storage: Kingston SSDNow 120GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB,  Case: Cooler Master 690 III

4 hours ago, IronMarauder said:

Is it still under warranty? I don't have much of the original material left (I probably have the manual that came with it somewhere). I don't want to throw it away if I don't have to, that is a last resort if I cant find it a new home (another PC or freegeek).

5 year warranty.

You don't need "material" to do an RMA if you need one.  You just need the PSU and the receipt.

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

5 year warranty.

You don't need "material" to do an RMA if you need one.  You just need the PSU and the receipt.

The warranty page says the CX has a 3 year warranty (I think the grey CX has a 5 year, though?), and that the old CXM have 3 year warranties.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/warranty

:)

5 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why would they attempt an RMA? There's nothing wrong with the unit, they've just upgraded to a [hopefully] better unit and no longer have any use for the old PSU. They're just curious if places like FreeGeek (op shop for PC parts) accept donations of used PSUs. FreeGeek take donations of unwanted PC hardware and repurposes them to sell as used parts or build systems for people who don't have the finances to afford new systems/components.

5 hours ago, IronMarauder said:

I decided recently to upgrade the psu on my gaming rig and am wondering what to do with my original psu (it still works perfectly fine).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

That's why I said "if".