What is probation? (New employees)

CatTNT

Title, what’s the purpose and why is it useful

First Computer: 3440x1440 @75Hz ROG STRIX 1080 Ti Core i5 8600K @ 1.415V @ 5.08 GHz Corsair Spec 02 EVGA CLC 280mm

I'm familiar with it in terms of things like company benefits or a union. In the case of a union it's a grace period where you don't get the benefits until the other employees or the company know you're going to stick around and not just quit within your first week or month.

8 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm familiar with it in terms of things like company benefits or a union. In the case of a union it's a grace period where you don't get the benefits until the other employees or the company know you're going to stick around and not just quit within your first week or month.

Following up oin this, it's also benefitial for the employer, because they can evaluate all the claims you made on your application. For e.g. if you said you are an advanced user of Excel, but turns out you can't even SUM two things, they can easily fire you.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

In Canada(Or Quebec anyway...), probation usually last 3 months and is pretty much everything told above. After which you become a full fledged employee with all the benefits that derive from it like insurances, union, rebate on goods, etc...

But, if you're a part time employee(less than 30 hours a week), you'll likely never get any of those workplace benefits in the first place, unless the company you work for is good to their employees.

It's not rare for scummy companies here to keep you around for almost 3 months and come up with an excuse to not keep you, so that they don't have to give you any benefits.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It's a 3 month period from official hiring date (prior trials are not accounted for).

Summarized:

You don't appear in videos.

You don't have employee benefits (insurance).

You're subject to a bit more scrutiny than you usually would be and you don't have your own access card to the building.

The benefits and scrutiny are typical practice across organizations.

In Canada, a company needs reasonable grounds to fire you. During the probation period, this requirement doesn't exist. It lets companies feel you out.

@TetraSky To be fair, companies aren't required to give benefits at all. So that reasoning doesn't really hold much weight. There are many other ways to accomplish the same thing that is both cheaper and requires less paperwork.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

47 minutes ago, Aprime said:

It's a 3 month period from official hiring date (prior trials are not accounted for).

I assume the probation period varies by company.

For example, Linus Media Group might have a 3 month probation period but another company like NCIX for example(RIP) might not.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, CatTNT said:

The probation period for my new hires at my company is 60 days with verifiable experience.  Basically I hire them, keep an eye on them, and continue background checks as they work for me.  If everything is fine with the background check, I will listen to my senior employees onto their thoughts on the new hire.  If anything throws a red flag towards me it gives me a chance to remove the employee without having to worry about the benefits or unemployment costs.  But with me as long as your honest, hard working and show initiative....I will most likely never fire you.  I would actually do what I could to keep you.  Which is why the last person I had to fire from my company was nearly 10 years ago.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

Probabtion is the period that an employeer might have for training and evaluation. You typically don't get any of the employment benefits, you'll probably be making a lower pay during, and you're mostly expected to shut up and comply with your superiors' orders.

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I assume the probation period varies by company

Correct. The probation period for my company is 6 months. During that 6 months, personal tools are provided. Once that period is over, easy jobs should be able to be done without constant supervision and employees must buy their own personal tools.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 hours ago, CatTNT said:

In Canadian Employment Law (varies per province, but most of them are somewhat similar), you cannot fire someone “just because” - you need a valid reason to do so, such as:

poor performance

breaking rules

position no longer needed

etc (technically the last one, you would get “laid off” instead of fired - which is like getting fired but it won’t hurt you in future interviews)

If you fire someone without just cause, they can seek a wrongful termination ruling. They probably won’t get their job back, but if they win, they would likely get awarded a large cash settlement. 

Probation is a legal exempt period during (in Ontario) the first 3 months of employment where the employer can fire you for any non-discriminatory reason without fear of consequence (eg: they still can’t fire you for being black or gay or Jewish or a woman - that’s always illegal). 

It’s a system where new employees can be given time to try out the role, but if they aren’t a good fit, the employer can fire them without a lot of hassle.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)