Hackers Breach MEGA Chrome Extension To Steal Crypto Private Keys

ItsMitch

S: zdnet

Mega.nz chrome extension has been caught by some security experts stealing passwords from GitHub, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and a plethora of Monero websites. The user data was sent off to a website created via NameCheap Inc (not a shocker tbh) and it was left live on the Google Store for several hours. How did this happen exactly? Well there's a few explanations, Mega.nz blame Google for their lacking security measures and the fact they disallow publisher signatures. 

How? 

A malicious update was pushed via the Google Store around September 4th 13:40 UTC which was tilted v3.39.4 which contained the password logger and it stole all browsing data along with it. 

Mega.nz located the breach 4 hours later and issued a clean update to remove the malware, however, Google staff stripped the application from its store after reports broke of a breach of user data. 

Mega.nz response

"Unfortunately, Google decided to disallow publisher signatures on Chrome extensions and is now relying solely on signing them automatically after upload to the Chrome webstore, which removes an important barrier to external compromise. MEGAsync and our Firefox extension are signed and hosted by us and could therefore not have fallen victim to this attack vector. While our mobile apps are hosted by Apple/Google/Microsoft, they are cryptographically signed by us and therefore immune as well."

Mega also confirmed they're investigating how exactly their account was breached and how this happened in the first place. 

I'm fairly disappointed in this, I've been a lifelong user of Mega.nz and I guess I'll be moving on from them, thankfully Dashlane saved my ass w/ new passwords. 

In short, fuck Google for disregarding security.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

I've been a lifelong user of Mega.nz

So you're a toddler? xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

In short, fuck Google.

:)

16 minutes ago, SC2Mitch said:

yes, my mum calls me special, PROBLEM MISTER?_?

HAHAHHAAHHA, my mommy say i am special. :3 

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @3.85Ghz, MotherBoard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F, RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB 3000Mhz

GPU: GALAX GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti EXOC White, Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White, Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, PSU: Corsair CX650M

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

I'm fairly disappointed in this, I've been a lifelong user of Mega.nz and I guess I'll be moving on from them, thankfully Dashlane saved my ass w/ new passwords. 

wait how is this their fault ??, hackers got a hold of their account somehow and published a malicious update and they figured it out in 4 hours, i would say thats a pretty good response time

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

In short, fuck Google for disregarding security.

It was caught in 4 fucking hours. Not like this was months on end. 

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

wait how is this their fault ??, hackers got a hold of their account somehow and published a malicious update and they figured it out in 4 hours, i would say thats a pretty good response time

Not only that, the malicious update could only be pushed to Chrome due to how Chrome handles update signatures.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

If Google put in the right measures in the first place this never would of happened in the first place. 

1 hour ago, SC2Mitch said:

Google decided to disallow publisher signatures on Chrome extensions and is now relying solely on signing them automatically after upload to the Chrome webstore, which removes an important barrier to external compromise

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It didn't and couldn't happen on other browsers. Also, Mega caught it, not Google.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, SC2Mitch said:

If Google put in the right measures in the first place this never would of happened in the first place. 

and because of it you will be moving away from mega? or is it just the extension 

Meanwhile, I’m on Firefox

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, huilun02 said:

Not you, your source article title

i got chu, fixed

image.png.44164131ce514af84eefb2264841a5a8.png

and that's why i prefer to wait mega 3.0

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

4 hours access to my more secure accounts could easily leave me in a hole it would take me months to get out of.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Just use dropbox or Google Docs? I don't think anyone bothers with MEGA - or chrome extensions anymore.

Hahaha so glad I'm on Linux things like this would've ne-..... Wait. I use both chromium and mega. Damn.... Well, at least I disable all the extensions. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

WTF is Mega?

Make England Grand Again.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

WTF is Mega?

Mega (stylized in uppercase as MEGA) is a cloud storage and file hosting service offered by Mega Limited, a New Zealand-based company. The service is offered primarily through web-based apps. Mega mobile appsare also available for Windows PhoneAndroid and iOS.

Mega is known for its security feature where all files are end-to-end encrypted locally before they are uploaded. This prevents anyone (including employees of Mega Limited) from accessing the files without knowledge of the pass key used for encryption.[3] The service was previously noted for a large 50 GB storage allocation for free accounts.[4] However, this was reduced to 15 GB, with additional amounts offered only on an expiring trial basis.[5] Up to 8 TB is available for paid accounts.[6] As of January 20, 2018, Mega has 100 million registered users in more than 245 countries and territories, and more than 40 billion files have been uploaded to the service.[7]

The website and service was launched on January 19, 2013, by Kim Dotcom, who had founded the now-defunct service Megaupload. However, in 2015 Kim Dotcom disassociated himself from the service and stated that the New Zealand government had seized the shares of a Chinese investor and has control of the site. Mega Limited responded that the authorities have not interfered with its operations.

stolen from wikipedia