Wd Gold vs Red vs something else for DENTIST OFFICE HDD

Go to solution Solved by mortino,

At the bare minimum pick up 2 WD Reds and raid 1 them, the couple hundred bucks is well worth it. Personally I'd get a 3rd drive to keep at your house and do a weekly backup or maybe even monthly if you can't be bothered.

Please Help.

Although I am a kids dentist, I enjoy maintaining my own network (until its past my ability) at the office.  We have a desktop we use as the "server" running windows server 2008 R2, and 9 workstations in my office.  I had a hard drive failure a couple of days ago, came in and the drive was dead.

We leave the drive on 24/7/365.  Files accessed and written are mainly data files, and some picture files for xrays, but no video.

Luckily I had cloned my server HDD a couple of years back, and use the server software to back up the os/ state on a regular basis so I was up and running.

I need to replace the exisiting hard drive that is running in the server now.  2 TB is plenty, I want something robust with the least chance of failure possible.  Cannot do a NAS at this time.

I know any drive can fail at any time. The server enclosure is fairly warm, and its on a cart so it gets moved around. 

Experts, please help!

Thanks  R

1 minute ago, drrich1101 said:

I want something robust with the least chance of failure possible.

An SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

really?  lots of reading and writing to the disc from multiple pcs.  I thought they weren't so great for continued read/write

No question you are correct, random guy, but I have had this type of system for over ten years and have had no major issues. a couple of failed HDDS, but I back up like a lunatic and have so far been lucky- including someone in the office picking up Ransomeware along the way.... maybe at some point, but for now....

thanks for your advice though

At the bare minimum pick up 2 WD Reds and raid 1 them, the couple hundred bucks is well worth it. Personally I'd get a 3rd drive to keep at your house and do a weekly backup or maybe even monthly if you can't be bothered.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

You probably don't want to use a single SSD for storing critical data. He doesn't need the speed, he probably wants a lot of storage space.

An SSD is not only faster but has longer durability than a hard drive.

If all he cares about is reliability, regardless of price, than an SSD is better.

2TB is all he's looking for.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

dont mind me wondering, why dont anyone recommend IronWolf Pro drives? They come with that fancy recovery service, so in case something goes wrong the manufacturer has your back and you dont need to figure it out on your own. a pair of them in raid and a offsite backup seems like a solid solution to me

My Gaming PC: 27833

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy13 said:

Yes an SSD will outlive any HDD, but raid 1 drives will be more reliable than an SSD and cheaper for the storage.

Or just do raid 1 SSDs?

Or even better than raid, use one normally and a second one for regular backups.

I don't think OP cares about the price.

He said "I want something robust with the least chance of failure possible" which is SSD, not HDD.

Also "The server enclosure is fairly warm, and its on a cart so it gets moved around." another reason to NOT get a hard drive.

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, drrich1101 said:

really?  lots of reading and writing to the disc from multiple pcs.  I thought they weren't so great for continued read/write

A professional grade SSD from samsung or intel will endure more writes than you will do in your lifetime.

Reading from them is not limited, only writes.

They are perfectly fine for continued 24/7 use.

Spoiler

@Enderman is correct. For something that will be moving around an SSD is the better choice. Either a profesionall grade SSD from Samsung or a cheaper consumer SSD from Crucial. 

You probably only need about 1TB of storage and in that size there are plenty 2,5" SSDs that can fulfill the Job like

This one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yzfhP6/samsung-860-evo-1tb-25-solid-state-drive-mz-76e1t0bam

I wouldn't use an SSD for constant write, go WD Red.

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I wouldn't use an SSD for constant write, go WD Red.

Considering the write endurance on even consumer grade SSDs it is pretty much an non-issue. 

Thanks all for confusing me more now than before I asked my original question - but seriously thanks. Great info here