[Update with Xbox One S sub price] Microsoft wants to bundle Consoles and Services into monthly subscription sort of like phone + data contracts

AlTech

Microsoft wants to bundle Xbox Consoles and Services such as Xbox Live Gold and Game Pass into one monthly subscription similar to how people pay for phones + mobile data on contract from carriers.

The monthly subscription prices for an Xbox One X + services bundle would be around $34.99 per month for 24 months and would include the full price of the console + cost of their services.

The monthly subscription prices for an Xbox One S + services bundle would be around $21.99 per month for 24 months and would include the full price of the console + cost of their services.

This allegedly will be called "Xbox All Access" and will be US only at launch.

Microsoft is planning to unveil an Xbox All Access service that will bundle the company’s Xbox One consoles with Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass for a monthly fee. Codenamed Project Largo, Microsoft has been working towards the subscription service in recent months. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s plans tell The Verge that both the Xbox One S and Xbox One X will be offered as a subscription, and that Microsoft is planning to offer its Xbox One X bundled with Xbox Live Gold and Xbox Game Pass for $34.99 per month over 24 months.

The subscription will be available from Microsoft’s retail stores, and the company is also working with PC makers to try and offer this bundle elsewhere. Windows Central reported on Xbox All Access today, after I teased details of the new service three weeks ago. Microsoft will limit its Xbox All Access service to US consumers initially, but if it’s successful then it could appear in other markets in the future. Microsoft also offered a subsidized Xbox 360 bundle with Xbox Live Gold more than six years ago.

Windows Central reports that its sources inside Microsoft indicate that the company is currently planning to roll out an "Xbox All Access" plan, which would give users free hardware if they sign up for two years of Xbox Live and the Netflix-style Xbox Games Pass. All Access subscriptions would cost about $22 a month for a plan with Xbox One S hardware or $35 a month for the more powerful Xbox One X hardware, according to the report. Users would be able to cancel their subscriptions after two years and keep the hardware.

This sounds like a nice idea although the price per month seems a bit high.

With the proposed price for the Xbox One X bundle you'd pay in total $839.76 across 2 years which covers the $499 price of the console and $60 per year of Xbox Live Gold and 24 Months of Xbox Game Pass would cost $239.96.

So with this bundle you'd actually save $19.20 xD.

Idk if the bundle is really worth saving $19.20 over. It would probably be more attaractive for those who have difficulty with spending that much money upfront or who need financing options.

Inb4 Microsoft sets up Xbox Dealerships to sell on contract Xbox consoles :D

Sources:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/8/22/17771412/microsoft-xbox-all-access-xbox-one-x-services-subscription

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/report-xbox-all-access-to-offer-free-hardware-with-two-year-agreement/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

the savings is assuming youd be paying those services normally, i sure wouldnt

my use case is pretty much console + games that i buy, so i dont think its worth it at all?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Just now, Neftex said:

the savings is assuming youd be paying those services normally, i sure wouldnt

my use case is pretty much console + games that i buy, so i dont think its worth it at all?

But instead of buying the games individually the idea is to pay for Xbox Games Pass which you can think of as the Netflix of Xbox One Games.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

But instead of buying the games individually the idea is to pay for Xbox Games Pass which you can think of as the Netflix of Xbox One Games.

I'll admit that I haven't tried out the Games Pass from Microsoft, but my big issue with a Netflix model would be how long a game may remain as being available on Game Pass or it's rotation and having to wait for the next rotation to play a game I want to.  Of course, I still like having physical media as much as possible so I can go back and play some of my favorite older games whenever I want...

They did this at one point with 360s.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Microsoft be like, "We want that Verizon money!".

Actually, if you planned to buy those things anyways separately they'd make less money with you paying bundle sub :P.

The only way they'd make money is through people who'd never plan to buy those things separately and pay for bundle sub.

But, more seriously, this isn't a bad idea from MS. There's a market for this type of stuff, though I'm waiting for "Microsoft Financial Services" division to crop up. 

M$, going where every Car Maker has gone to die before!

I could actually get behind this. The amount of quality games on game pass is absurd, and has been well for it for awhile now. I don't really see much of a downside to this for a lot of people.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Actually, if you planned to buy those things anyways separately they'd make less money with you paying bundle sub :P.

The only way they'd make money is through people who'd never plan to buy those things separately and pay for bundle sub.

Gifts, especially holiday gifts. Look for the "3 month Sub" package for grandparents to give their grandkids.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

And I would imagine the monthly revenue stream is welcome.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

They did this at one point with 360s.

Given the 2 year lifespan of this deal, I think we can assume 2020 is the next console launch window.

Just now, shermantanker said:

And I would imagine the monthly revenue stream is welcome.

Market Share, regular revenue, clearing old stock, user buy-in. 

People complain, but the entire Smartphone industry was built off this model. It kind of works.

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Market Share, regular revenue, clearing old stock, user buy-in. 

People complain, but the entire Smartphone industry was built off this model. It kind of works.

Except when people fail the credit check so the mobile carrier says no :D.

Cries inside.

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Given the 2 year lifespan of this deal, I think we can assume 2020 is the next console launch window.

no joke 2012 is when I think they did it with 360s

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Or if they wanted to be real dicks, they'd get everyone locked in to a 2 year contract for the XboxOne and then release the next gen console for Christmas 2018. :D 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no joke 2012 is when I think they did it with 360s

Xbox One launched in 2013. LOL. I guess next year it is.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Or if they wanted to be real dicks, they'd get everyone locked in to a 2 year contract for the XboxOne and then release the next gen console for Christmas 2018. :D 

They'd have already announced it if it was this year. Next year might be a different issue. But that would also mean a 16/14nm node for the product. 

I'd be surprised if we get any more consoles on the current Fab nodes, to be honest. Xbox One X was probably meant to bridge the gap until ~2020/2021 for that purpose.

how very stupid. and what if after 6 months you n longer wish to keep it? do they charge you the break cost like they do with phones? or do you then have to ship the console back and they just stop payments?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

It's probably only viable for the short term. 

But if you keep your console for years, you'd be much better off buying and owning the actual console and games than leasing them. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Microsoft

Allows you to play Xbox 360 Games on the XBox One.

Requires Credit Card/Paypal/bank number to buy that 360 Game. Or you could buy it on a 360...

Since they already ported most of the Games for Windows anyway, there doesn't seem to be a point to get the XBox One anyway...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

18 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

It's probably only viable for the short term. 

But if you keep your console for years, you'd be much better off buying and owning the actual console and games than leasing them. 

From my understanding you keep the Xbox at the end of the 2 years. That's would be the same as buying a car with a loan and paying it off with payments each month rather than paying the full price up front. 

18 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

From my understanding you keep the Xbox at the end of the 2 years. That's would be the same as buying a car with a loan and paying it off with payments each month rather than paying the full price up front. 

My impression is that after 2 years, you've fulfilled the "contract" (equivalent: you finished paying off the Tab on your phone) - at that point, you outright and fully own the Xbox, so at that point you could cancel all services - or alternatively, switch to the "regular" XBL Gold subscription (and/or GamePass).

Seems like a decent way to get an Xbox w/ a ton of services (Seriously, XBL Gold gives you 2+ (3 if you consider the free 360 Arcade game in addition to the 2 XBO games) per month, and GamePass actually has a really badass library of games you can access.

I might consider this if it comes to Canada - I'd sell my XBO S and get the X - I already pay for XBL Gold (though I buy the 12-month card from Costco at a discount).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 8/23/2018 at 7:26 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

The reason I never strayed from PlayStation...

The reason you never strayed from PlayStation was because of a device subsidized contract service that was never available until just now...?

On 8/23/2018 at 8:19 PM, Arika S said:

how very stupid. and what if after 6 months you n longer wish to keep it? do they charge you the break cost like they do with phones? or do you then have to ship the console back and they just stop payments?

My opinion on what they will do (not confirmed):

If after 6 months, you no longer wish to keep it, the same thing happens as if it were your smartphone: You buy out the remaining contract fee, and sell the hardware.

Whether that fee will end up being the entire $34.99 over the remaining term, or whether it's just the hardware fee over said term, is unknown currently.

Ideally when you sign up for the service, they provide a hardware "cost" breakdown (Eg: When you start, you owe "$400" for hardware, and that owed amount is reduced by $16.67 every month).

This isn't stupid at all - if the contract termination fees aren't fucking stupid, then this would actually be a great way to get an Xbox for next to nothing up front, and also get access to a bunch of games without having to buy any. I'd consider this a decent "starter kit".

It all comes down to the terms, and how consumer friendly they are.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)