[Update with Xbox One S sub price] Microsoft wants to bundle Consoles and Services into monthly subscription sort of like phone + data contracts

AlTech
On 8/25/2018 at 10:06 AM, dalekphalm said:

The reason you never strayed from PlayStation was because of a device subsidized contract service that was never available until just now...

Yes, because a gypsy woman read the future to me. No, because of Microsoft constantly squeezing money from it's player base. Like XBox Live being a huge example. Going to a whole contact/subscription system is not a trend I want to see in the gaming industry.

1 hour ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Yes, because a gypsy woman read the future to me. No, because of Microsoft constantly squeezing money from it's player base. Like XBox Live being a huge example. Going to a whole contact/subscription system is not a trend I want to see in the gaming industry.

It's not as if Sony hasn't done that as well.  I'd say the difference is that Microsoft under Nadella is very much interested in recurring service revenue (see: Office 365, Microsoft 365) and likes the thought of committing gamers to two years of Live and Game Pass.