PSU Reliability?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by PineyCreek,
3 minutes ago, Hi P said:

I did read the 80 plus sticky, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

In general terms of "reliability", a.k.a "Please don't fail nor explode on me" kind of thing (that already happened to me) what should I look for?

I used the Cooler Master PSU calculator, so I know I need a 650w - 750w PSU, full modular, 80+ Gold would do I think.

I want an stable and reliable PSU in case I ever have to leave renders for over 10 hours.

Thanks!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Get something on one of the higher tiers.

In general terms of "reliability", a.k.a "Please don't fail nor explode on me" kind of thing (that already happened to me) what should I look for?

I used the Cooler Master PSU calculator, so I know I need a 650w - 750w PSU, full modular, 80+ Gold would do I think.

I want an stable and reliable PSU in case I ever have to leave renders for over 10 hours.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Thanks!

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

Get something on one of the higher tiers.

7 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Thanks!

What's the specs?

Likely 400W will easily be enough.

Get Be Quiet PurePower 10 400W.

Don't get fooled by a 80+ rating. 

It's just efficiency and any PSU can achieve that. 

It doesent say anything about its quality though. 

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

No, you don't.

That thing is based on the Outervision one wich is absolute garbage and overestimates what you really need by a Mile or two.

So with a normal SIngle CPU/GPU Desktop System (NOT HEDT!) w/o OC 400W is plenty. Even for stuff like a VEGA64.

With OC 550W.

And with the money saved you could get yourself a Pizza or something else....

2 hours ago, Hi P said:

Be quiet Straight Power 11, Bitfenix Whisper M, eventually Cougar GX-F wouldn't be a bad choice.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Hi P said:

Thanks!

What are your specs? The Cooler Master calculator has monetary incentive to exaggerate power demands, and it does regardless of whether or not that's their intention behind it. Here's what my Ryzen 1700X and GTX 970, both heavily OC'd, draw vs what Outervision thought it would.

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/112530-strmfrmxmn/?status=182458&type=status&page=2

I'd guess you, if you really need a 650W unit, that you have something like a 7820X and GTX Titan, right?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What are your specs?

Cooler Master shown I needed 550w but then suggested 750w PSU, that' why I thought 650w would be okay, I don't need that much?

I plan on building:

- Ryzen 7 2700x

- Noctua NH D15 SE-AM4

- GTX 1080 ti or RTX 2080 (if they end up being RTX)

- 32 GB 2400 Mhz RAM (2x16)

- PCIe NVMe SSD storage

- 4 Case Fans that equal in total 0.6 Amp or so 

- Non-RBG peripherals

33 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Cooler Master shown I needed 550w but then suggested 750w PSU, that' why I thought 650w would be okay, I don't need that much?

I plan on building:

- Ryzen 7 2700x

- Noctua NH D15 SE-AM4

- PCIe NVMe SSD storage

- Non-RBG peripherals

A 1080 Ti and 2700X, without OC, will use maybe 300W. With OC, think more like 400W-430W.

A 550W PSU would definitely be plenty. A Corsair TX550M would be good if you can find that wherever you are.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A 1080 Ti and 2700X, without OC, will use maybe 300W. With OC, think more like 400W-430W.

You people should stop hallucinating that every single Nvidia card consumes only little power.

Without frame rate capping or bottleneck from something else 1080 Tis can draw from 230W of reference to 280+W of non-reference as average/continuous gaming draw:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti_Amp_Extreme/29.html

Or another measurement:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/galax-gtx-1080-ti-hof,5150-4.html

And as people prefer non-reference models we can just forget that 230W...

Then add rough (conservative) 100W for CPU and rest.

Though with heavily multithreaded game (say RTS using other cores for unit AIs) CPU itself could peak toward that 100W.

3 hours ago, Hi P said:

I plan on building:

- Ryzen 7 2700x

- Noctua NH D15 SE-AM4

- PCIe NVMe SSD storage

- Non-RBG peripherals

There's nothing 100% sure for every sample, even things costing 100+ million suffer from "anomalies".

But you usually get what you pay with more expensive PSUs using better designs and components.

Anyway with that many expensive parts you certainly shouldn't have any problems in paying for PSU with 10 year warranty.

Even premium PSU wouldn't out of place.

Good PSU will outlive multiple consecutive graphics cards.

What's available for good price depends somewhat on your location.

Some brands price more agressively in one continent, with some PSUs being better priced in EU and others in NA.