Huawei Passes Apple in Smartphone Share for the First Time

ItsMitch
58 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

is it only huawei or does it include honor?

now if only the first and second market share leaders could actually make decent phones to begin with, that would be nice.

but I guess some are just more than happy to be the McDonald's of the industry.

Maybe one day I'll find the fancy restaurant that serves burgers equivalent

Think it includes Honor, since it's always been treated more as a Huawei sub-brand than anything.  BBK is different in that it treats Oppo, Vivo and OnePlus as separate brands (that and there's no such thing as just "a BBK phone").

On 8/2/2018 at 2:40 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

We're not, we're calling them out for their bullshit, like removing a feature a lot of people use (headphone jack) or designing products that break from dust or don't work properly out of the box

To elaborate on what Castdeath97 said:

Some people do that, and that's certainly not just fair, but necessary to hold Apple's feet to the fire.  But let's be honest: there are many people here who attack Apple solely because they treat tech like an ideological war, and have decided that Apple is the devil incarnate because they can't (easily) sideload apps on an iPhone or custom-build a gaming Mac.  There's more than a few people here who genuinely like the thought of total Android and Windows monopolies where choice and competition are dead.

To add to the topic: this isn't proof that Huawei is 'better' than Apple, because... well, have you used Huawei's EMUI?  It's basically riffing on Apple.  Huawei is successful because it's a China-native company courting its home country extremely well, and it also has a knack for offering value in certain markets.  It's going to have a tough time making inroads in the US so long as the anti-China panic keeps it from landing carrier deals, though.

Edited by Commodus
Adding a bit about Huawei

7 hours ago, Commodus said:

To elaborate on what Castdeath97 said:

Some people do that, and that's certainly not just fair, but necessary to hold Apple's feet to the fire.  But let's be honest: there are many people here who attack Apple solely because they treat tech like an ideological war, and have decided that Apple is the devil incarnate because they can't (easily) sideload apps on an iPhone or custom-build a gaming Mac.  There's more than a few people here who genuinely like the thought of total Android and Windows monopolies where choice and competition are dead.

To add to the topic: this isn't proof that Huawei is 'better' than Apple, because... well, have you used Huawei's EMUI?  It's basically riffing on Apple.  Huawei is successful because it's a China-native company courting its home country extremely well, and it also has a knack for offering value in certain markets.  It's going to have a tough time making inroads in the US so long as the anti-China panic keeps it from landing carrier deals, though.

nah, as someone who went from ios to android, ios was simply too restrictive from what I'm used to now and still is.

And since I made Ubuntu my main desktop OS on my rig, my macbook pro as become an after thought ever since, open it up only to check my emails and maybe watch YouTube if I'm not at home.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

nah, as someone who went from ios to android, ios was simply too restrictive from what I'm used to now and still is.

And since I made Ubuntu my main desktop OS on my rig, my macbook pro as become an after thought ever since, open it up only to check my emails and maybe watch YouTube if I'm not at home.

No wonder about the Mac, I had that one and it was TORTUROUSLY slow

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

11 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

No wonder about the Mac, I had that one and it was TORTUROUSLY slow

replave the hard drive with an ssd.

to me the "magic" simply faded away

ever since mountain lion osx feels like and seems to have become a glorified iphone accessory and since i don't use iphones anymore... well you see the issue

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Hey, that's fine.  You used both platforms and made a choice based on your preferences.  The problem is that many people either attack Apple without having ever lived with its products, and they often frame it as a good-versus-evil war (often pretending that their vendor of choice isn't engaged in many of the same practices as Apple) rather than what it is: preferring something else.

My favourites are the Android and Windows users who position themselves as counterculture rebels... who chose the majority platform... and picked a major manufacturer.  It's like claiming that true indie music fans only listen to Top 40 pop.  I want to see one of these smartphone hipsters practice what they preach and use a Sailfish OS phone to stick it to The Man™️. :P