LinusMediaGroup why use Quadro GV100 instead of Radeon™ Pro SSG?

Go to solution Solved by Redicat,
19 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

EDIT2: Oh crap responded to this as though it was about 10K gaming. I need some coffee apparently. We used NVIDIA for this because their gaming card market dominance is only second to their professional market dominance.. AMD is not very relevant in that space.

So Quadro's are for ONCE a good buy? :D

Hold on @LinusTech

I thought you said it was only for PIXAR or High END Movie Studios? not Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC??  

Why does LinusTechTips/LinusMediaGroup not use the Radeon™ Pro SSG instead ot the Quadro GV100

Why tensor cores?

Why so expensive?

Why not get sponsored by AMD? let them send over their Radeon™ Pro SSG? (https://pro.radeon.com/en/editing-8k-video-radeon-pro-ssg-graphics-adobe-premiere-pro-cc/)

This AMD thread discusses 'Editing 8K Video with Radeon™ Pro SSG graphics and Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC' by AMD 

in 04/18/18 by David Tjong

https://pro.radeon.com/en/editing-8k-video-radeon-pro-ssg-graphics-adobe-premiere-pro-cc/

Radeon™ Pro SSG

GPU Specifications

GPU Architecture :
Vega
Lithography :
14nm FinFET
Stream Processors :
Peak Single Precision (FP32) Performance :
12.3 TFLOPs
Peak Double Precision (FP64) Performance :
769 GFLOPs
Solid State Graphics (SSG)
Yes (2 TB onboard SSG)

Regards,
Julian

Don't blame me here it's AMD's CLAIM it's THEIR claim. soo 

The SSG is a much slower card, and quadros have much better software support and market share.

Also that ssd cache probalby won't do much. It seems like software support is needed, and other than a few demos there doesn't seem to be many in the wild. 

I'm guessing because they'd rather buy a product that is proven to work well with their software suites?

I also doubt AMD would ever sponsor them with such an expensive product.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

They've talked about this a lot before.  AMD isn't big into spending money on sponsorships like that, where as nvidia and intel are far more willing.  You can imagine why when you consider the size and budget of all three.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Obviously because they're nvidia shills.

Try and keep up.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They've talked about this a lot before.  AMD isn't big into spending money on sponsorships like that, where as nvidia and intel are far more willing.  You can imagine why when you consider the size and budget of all three.

Never said that. We can generally get whatever AMD gear we need. 

See 7 Gamers, 1 CPU.

We reached out to AMD about doing a follow up to 16K "done right" since they had cards with more VRAM at the time.

They did some testing on their side and ultimately didn't seed the product, but it wasn't a budget issue ;)

EDIT: this was sponsored by LG, by the way. They didn't give two hoots whose CPUs and/or graphics cards we used.

EDIT2: Oh crap responded to this as though it was about 10K gaming. I need some coffee apparently. We used NVIDIA for this because their gaming card market dominance is only second to their professional market dominance.. AMD is not very relevant in that space.

15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Never said that. We can generally get whatever AMD gear we need. 

See 7 Gamers, 1 CPU.

We reached out to AMD about doing a follow up to 16K "done right" since they had cards with more VRAM at the time.

They did some testing on their side and ultimately didn't seed the product, but it wasn't a budget issue ;)

EDIT: this was sponsored by LG, by the way. They didn't give two hoots whose CPUs and/or graphics cards we used.

ah, alright then.  Well perhaps I have the wrong impression or don't quite know the right words to use then but I know you've brought this up before about AMD tending not to do big events or marketing moves and stuff... that's what  I was getting at but perhaps I don't quite know how to describe it properly.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

So Quadro's are for ONCE a good buy? :D

Hold on @LinusTech

I thought you said it was only for PIXAR or High END Movie Studios? not Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC??  

nvidia is pumping an effin ton of cash into this and you want em to use an ati card duhh

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Don't blame me here it's AMD's CLAIM it's THEIR claim. soo 

Soo next Episode of  $h!t Manufacturers Say AMD Grapichs Cards better for video production??

probably they didn't have one on hand at the time

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Here's the bigger question: do their tools support AMD and if they do, how well is it supported?

Hardware performance mean very little if there's no software to take advantage of it.

$h!t Manufacturers Say