HP's "Landfiller" Desktop PC

iamdarkyoshi

I recently built a PC to replace one of my friends' slow machines.

I've seen these before, but now that I have gotten a hold of one, figured I'd make a detailed post about it.

HP's typical basic tower is an mATX case with one optical drive, space for one or two HDDs, four expansion slots, and a standard ATX PSU.

This machine is pretty normal from all views...

IMG_20180720_205049.thumb.jpg.1bf379e54213c11b1611263294a08a77.jpg

...Except the back of the unit. Almost nothing has been punched out! And yes, they only used three screws on the fan. Four would have been far too much.

IMG_20180720_205113.thumb.jpg.52e1eaa93ce78bcc483d9a6771fa09bf.jpg

There are no expansion slots punched out, not even space for a PSU. The machine is instead powered by a typical 65w HP laptop charger.

If we open it up, things get even more absurd.

IMG_20180720_205126.thumb.jpg.673d9e3f624f38687ab7c35156f4a355.jpg

What a remarkable waste of space!! And in traditional HP fashion, one wifi antenna on a card that clearly can do two.

Taking everything out of the machine, its pretty clear that the same PC could be achieved in a massively smaller space. Obviously exact component placement would be a bit different than just "on top of each other" but still, this general layout would be totally doable, especially if they had switched the 5.25in optical drive for a laptop optical drive.

IMG_20180720_212147.thumb.jpg.1669bdd9876c736b7fb39ef8666d550f.jpg

Powering this monster is an AMD A4-5000 APU.

...yes, a 15w 1.5ghz laptop CPU. I'd like to point out that a basic e8400 core 2 duo released 5 years before this one will beat this CPU in both single and multithreaded tasks, even though it has half the core count.

While I'm sure it would be fine for VERY basic web browsing at a low cost, its still sad to see all of this steel being wasted when a machine 1/4 the volume would have been totally possible. My 1080Ti/8086K PC is less than half the size of this machine.

Thoughts on HP's design choices here?

hey that big case is way easier to make a build in for HP. While dell may ship enough volume to make small cases I don't know if HP does.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Cost savings are at play here.  Its the same case used for a bunch of HP builds but without the slots/PSU mount cut out.  I have one that had a SB Pentium in it.  Took a dremel to it and its now a real micro ATX case.

A while back, I picked up the AMD E1 version of that off the side of the road. 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD and a fucking useless mini ITX board with no expansion. It was so gutless that the CPU heatsink didn't have a fan.

I also grabbed the shitty 19" 1600 by 900 screen.

I also had an intel Celery version of that, a little bit more useful, but they have CPU locked it to only support 35W LGA 1155 CPUs (that said, I am running it with a 65W pentium, because I found a bug in the boot-up sequence).

2 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

its still sad to see all of this steel being wasted when a machine 1/4 the volume would have been totally possible.

my guess on why, is that the cases they use for these bottom-of-the-barrel shitboxes are actually also used for decent systems, except the decent systems *do* have the expected cutouts. guess its cheaper to just take a case they have off the assembly line sooner, than it is to engineer a smaller chassis just for these things.

that said, for as long as the board *works* it makes for a really powerful oversized raspberry pi :P

5 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Thoughts on HP's design choices here?

Now that's what you would call pollution...

A tiny Case like ANtec ISK110 or similar with a Laptop drive would have made more sense than this...

Seems like Lazy designing and tooling...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Actually, I am impressed that they put the effort in changing the stamp tools to produce the cases with the mission extension slots and PSU openings on its backside. Why would you spend extra money to make it worse?!

And where is the PSU at all? @iamdarkyoshi I didn't even saw a power cord connector at the back side.

On the side of HP I can actually understand some of their choices. Sitting here behind a PC which is pulling 350 Watts in idle, I was thinking about a second PC with optimization for tasks that are just time-consuming and don't need so much computing power, like Downloading, watch Netflix or just writing smthg. in Word. The benefits are: delay large downloads to overnight (yes the internet here is crap), reduce the that is blown in your room and save money on your electric bill (also expensive over here). Also you can build such a PC from stuff other people consider as useless so you will get components for cheap, eventually free. - So seen from that point Its kinda "reasonable" even though the marketshare for people like me could be tiny ... at its best.

There's enough room to fit the catto in there too.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, Helldogz said:

Actually, I am impressed that they put the effort in changing the stamp tools to produce the cases with the mission extension slots and PSU openings on its backside. Why would you spend extra money to make it worse?!

And where is the PSU at all? @iamdarkyoshi I didn't even saw a power cord connector at the back side.

On the side of HP I can actually understand some of their choices. Sitting here behind a PC which is pulling 350 Watts in idle, I was thinking about a second PC with optimization for tasks that are just time-consuming and don't need so much computing power, like Downloading, watch Netflix or just writing smthg. in Word. The benefits are: delay large downloads to overnight (yes the internet here is crap), reduce the that is blown in your room and save money on your electric bill (also expensive over here). Also you can build such a PC from stuff other people consider as useless so you will get components for cheap, eventually free. - So seen from that point Its kinda "reasonable" even though the marketshare for people like me could be tiny ... at its best.

There's a DC jack on the back of the motherboard for a 65w laptop charger.

65w.

Ooooh right, saw it on the IO shield now. So they actually just through the Guts of an old Laptop in a PC case, literally.

19 minutes ago, Helldogz said:

Ooooh right, saw it on the IO shield now. So they actually just through the Guts of an old Laptop in a PC case, literally.

Laptop CPU, but desktop HDD, RAM, and optical drive.

But yeah, pretty pathetic and a massive waste of space and steel.

Some models of older HP desktops are known to to be laptops in a desktop case

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they