Microsoft will allegedly release new Lumia phones with Android

Djole123

Microsoft is going crazy...

So, as dead as Windows Phone is, Microsoft will give another shot at the phone market, this time however with Android phones.

A Microsoft support employee has shared a bit of information on the new products after a journalist from Windows Latest asked when will new Lumias come in stock. Here's the conversation:

Microsoft-phone-leak.jpg

Let me be clear though, this might not even be a Lumia or Andromeda, but rather a completely new line of Android phones.

Also given Microsoft has released Cortana, Microsoft Launcher and Edge for Android, this rumor might have some credibility to it. Who knows. But holy crap I'm excited.

I'm interested in your opinions. Is something like this even a viable option? Or should Microsoft just give up on the phone market altogether?

Source:

https://www.windowslatest.com/2018/07/14/microsoft-is-reportedly-working-on-a-new-phone/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

"Represent leading publications" that's something the $*n would say

Yeah......I have a very hard time believing this.

Especially since it's from a chatbox. That's something I would never trust

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

40 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Microsoft support employee

With my dealings with Microsoft and how compartmentalized they are I doubt a support employee would know anything at all, more likely someone from within that team or that team's TAP program. Support employee can be very broad.

Using my insider knowledge I can also say TAP communication is done over Yammer and that looks like a fake Yammer conversation box to me not the real deal.

Benefit of doubt the information is real but they had to find a way to plausibly release it without getting in trouble or being able to be traced back to.

4 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Pretty sure no support staff can disclose information like that...

99% fake

Wouldn't even know that information to begin with, not even devs know what other teams are actually doing.

Edit:

Wow I really should have read the article:

Disclaimer: The information contained in this article is based on a claim made by a Microsoft Store employee. Windows Latest makes no claims, guarantees about the accuracy or completeness in this article, and shall not be held responsible for anything we say in this article.

A store employee you say...

LOL @ support help desk staff knowing about future unannounced products.

People need to realize that this is Half Life 3 all over again

An Android huh, this seems odd though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Entry does not meet the posting guidelines:

What's missing:

• Quote from the article to support what you are saying.

Please fix.

I don't think so, not like what you think, at least. Microsoft has already a partnership with Samsung to offer their latest Galaxy S series under "Microsoft edition" branding, where it includes SOME Microsoft apps pre-installed (which can be uninstalled), sold at the same MSRP as the normal phone.

All I can see is an evolution of this partnership. The same Samsung Galaxy phone, but now you have all Microsoft apps pre-installed, and have Microsoft Launcher installed (this is said to be one of the best launcher you can get for Android. Contentiously increasing download counts and a mass of rave reviews support this). And maybe have Bixby button replaced to the Cortana button (which I think is superior... I mean it doesn't do your breakfast liek Google assists, but at least it have excellent voice recognition, and doesn't try to do things it really sucks at just to check a box in the "must have feature list").

I SERIOUSLY doubt that they'll release a "Lumia" branded phone. "Lumia" brand has little value, little to no brand recognition among the public. Not licensing Nokia name on the phone was a big mistake for Microsoft (among the many that they have done in their phone division). Already Nokia has OK'ish/Meh value in North America, but at least it does in Europe.

If Microsoft DOES make an Android phone themselves, and are 100% SERIOUS and fully want to invest in it, I think it will be a game changer. Here is why?

• An Android phone that will actually get update via Microsoft Update servers directly, including firmware. This means, the phones will get ALL updates. No carrier block possible. Microsoft managed to do this with Windows 10 Mobile.
  • Windows Hello, not the garbage, easy to by-pass, stuff that most manufactures puts just to rush the feature out to check the box.
  • Better Windows 10 integration
  • As for the camera... don't know... but if they have still have the camera division of before, it would be, once again, a camera that pushes the industry forward. When the Lumia 950 series, a 2 year old phone, is still considered really competitive with Google and Samsung best offering (on phones that cost vastly more, none the less)... that is impressive stuff (maybe instead of focusing on 20 cameras in one phone, these manufacture should focus on making 1 really good one... just saying...).

On 19/07/2018 at 5:17 PM, GoodBytes said:

Entry does not meet the posting guidelines:

What's missing:

• Quote from the article to support what you are saying.

Please fix.

Here, a quote from the article:

It’s likely that this is a mistake and we cannot verify the authenticity of the claims. There’s a possibility that the employee is referring to Microsoft Edition Android phones from third-party OEMs. The fact that the devices will be powered by Android could be his speculation

The conversation quoted seems kinda sketchy, and even Windows Latest themselves doubt this info is provable. However, it's not unrealistic considering Microsoft has partnered with the almighty Linux to create a more open platform. I don't know.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

35 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Here, a quote from the article:

Put it in your main post please. So that I clean up the thread and move it back.

The conversation quoted seems kinda sketchy, and even Windows Latest themselves doubt this info is provable. However, it's not unrealistic considering Microsoft has partnered with the almighty Linux to create a more open platform. I don't know.

Well... heh... If you don't trust the news, why report it? :)

Anyway,