Is my system good enough for a GTX 1080?

Hip

Hey guys,

the title says it all, is my system good enough for a GTX 1080?

CPU Intel i5 4670k

Motherboard MSI Z87-G43

RAM G.Skill ARES 16GB DDR3

Storage Crucial MX500 1tb

Display Acer WQHD IPS 144HZ

Thanks in advance!

Depends... you will definitely have some trouble to get to somewhat stable 144FPS in many modern games with that CPU.

short answer: Yes.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Well even if you overclock the CPU there will be a bottleneck in most games but it will be acceptable and not as bad as a 1080p monitor. I would say a 1070 is a better choice as long as you can find it decently cheaper. Either way the CPU needs to be overclocked highly keeping the voltage under 1.4 and good temps. 

2 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

Well even if you overclock the CPU there will be a bottleneck in most games but it will be acceptable and not as bad as a 1080p monitor. I would say a 1070 is a better choice as long as you can find it decently cheaper. Either way the CPU needs to be overclocked highly keeping the voltage under 1.4 and good temps. 

I don't know anything about overclocking lol

7 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Depends... you will definitely have some trouble to get to somewhat stable 144FPS in many modern games with that CPU.

Do you think that I won't get all the 144FPS for my monitor? Would a 75HZ monitor be better?

2 minutes ago, Hip said:

I don't know anything about overclocking lol

Do you think that I won't get all the 144FPS for my monitor? Would a 75HZ monitor be better?

Nooo.. Thats not what I mean.

Dont buy 75Hz monitor....

Im just saying that your CPU will sometimes not allow your GTX 1080 to perform to its fulles which will result in a frame drops. You will still get the advantages of a 144Hz just not all the time as you would with a better CPU.

8 minutes ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

With a 1080 he will still benefit from the increased performance over the 1070 and that will show up in more GPU intensive games. The CPU will bottleneck it, but it will still be better then a 1070. Plus, like juan said, he will have a 1080 for when he upgrades his PC down the line or be ready if he switches to 1440p or 4k.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Nooo.. Thats not what I mean.

Dont buy 75Hz monitor....

Im just saying that your CPU will sometimes not allow your GTX 1080 to perform to its fulles which will result in a frame drops. You will still get the advantages of a 144Hz just not all the time as you would with a better CPU.

Ok, now I understand.

I'm not planning to upgrade my system anytime soon, because I just upgraded my RAM to 16GB. :-D

It would be great to keep the rest with a GTX 1080 for the next 2 years.

Any 4 threads only CPU is a potential bottleneck to any GPU above the 1070 specially at low resolution and high refresh rate which throws more demand at the CPU.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 minutes ago, Hip said:

Hey guys,

the title says it all, is my system good enough for a GTX 1080?

CPU Intel i5 4670k

Motherboard MSI Z87-G43

RAM G.Skill ARES 16GB DDR3

Storage Crucial MX500 1tb

Display Acer WQHD IPS 144HZ

Thanks in advance!

not buying the i7-4770K when you built your rig was probably your biggest mistake, but still you will have a great time and it will perform well in most games...if you intend to play Battlefield 5 multiplayer when it comes out, i think this one will trigger a CPU upgrade.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

oops, just realized he is at 1440p. lol. yea the bottle neck will not be that bad at 1440p as with 1080p, like leapfrog said

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

not buying the 4770K when you built your rig was probably your biggest mistake, but still you will have a great time and it will perform well in most games...if you intend to play Battlefield 5 multiplayer when it comes out, i think this one will trigger a CPU upgrade.

Damn I wanted to buy the GTX 1080 just because of Battlefield V!

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

how did you find battlefield 1 multiplayer to run on your system?

BF5 will be similar except a bit more demanding since they upgraded the engine a fair bit in some areas but we can expect it to still use 8+ CPU threads and trigger a max load CPU bottleneck in no time flat on anything bellow 8 threads.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, Hip said:

You will still be able to play it, just have some dips here and there, and may have to scale back some settings. Battlefield 1 was a big offender of high CPU usage as well.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

how did you find battlefield 1 multiplayer to run on your system?

BF5 will be similar except a bit more demanding since they upgraded the engine a fair bit in some areas but we can expect it to still use 8+ CPU threads and trigger a max load CPU bottleneck in no time flat in anything bellow 8 threads.

It worked, but I only had the GTX 1060 back then and I didn't play on WQHD.

5 minutes ago, Hip said:

It worked, but I only had the GTX 1060 back then and I didn't play on WQHD.

screen resolution doesn't change anything...if anything it helps to render at high resolution because then the GPU has more work which keep the FPS in the range that your CPU can feed them.

it's still worth to get a new GPU for sure...you'll be able to increase GPU demanding settings a fair bit, like anti-aliasing, texture quality, etc. and it will still run much better than with a 1060.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

screen resolution doesn't change anything...if anything it helps to render at high resolution because then the GPU has more work which keep the FPS in the range that your CPU can feed them.

it's still worth to get a new GPU for sure...you'll be able to increase GPU demanding settings a fair bit, like anti-aliasing, texture quality, etc. and it will still run much better than with a 1060.

That made me a bit of hope after all that overclocking, bottleneck discussion :-D

Would a 1080 be a better option than a 1070 then?

1 minute ago, Hip said:

That made me a bit of hope after all that overclocking, bottleneck discussion :-D

Would a 1080 be a better option than a 1070 then?

...always buy the best graphics card you can afford...it'll last longer before you need an upgrade...same for CPU as well BTW...next time don't buy the core i5 to avoid being in that same situation again ;)

...always buy the best graphics card you can afford...it'll last longer before you need an upgrade...same for CPU as well BTW...next time don't buy the core i5 to avoid being in that same situation again ;)

That was the only time I bought my computer right at a store and the storeclerks adviced it to me :-D

1 minute ago, Hip said:

That was the only time I bought my computer right at a store and the storeclerks adviced it to me :-D

yeah can't blame him at the time you bought that machine most people were still recommending core i5 CPU for gaming machine as the best ''bang for the buck'' but when you know better you can make better decisions...it'll be fine, get the card i'm sure you'll be happy.

4 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

yeah can't blame him at the time you bought that machine most people were still recommending core i5 CPU for gaming machine as the best ''bang for the buck'' but when you know better you can make better decisions...it'll be fine, get the card i'm sure you'll be happy.

Is there any way to check how many FPS I would get in Battlefield 1 with a GTX 1080 and my system? I'm curious because of my 144Hz Monitor.

4 minutes ago, Hip said:

Is there any way to check how many FPS I would get in Battlefield 1 with a GTX 1080 and my system? I'm curious because of my 144Hz Monitor.

searching youtube for gameplay videos is probably your best bet:

As you can see the GPU isn't maxing out most of the time, and the CPU is maxed out most of the time...pointing to a pretty heavy CPU bottleneck...but Battlefield game is known to be very CPU heavy especially the multiplayer.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Can the i5 4690k be compared to the 4670?

Ok there has been some misinformation spewed in this thread so I am going to try to correct as much of it as I can.

That cpu (4670k) might slightly bottleneck your gpu, maybe 10-12% at stock settings. It being a i5 without hyper-threading also hurts it a little in highly multi-threaded games, but in general that CPU will be fine with a 1080 and here is why.

It is an unlocked cpu, that means you an easily overclock it to 4+ ghz. If you were to say overclocking it to 4.2ghz (easy on that chip) then you would basically eliminate the bottleneck. If you push it to 4.5ghz (also easily doable for that chip) then you will be sitting pretty.

So even with stock values you might see some FPS loss, but nothing worth noting and it would only occur at high frame rate scenarios in 1080p. So instead of getting 150fps like you would on a brand new 8700k at stock, you might get 136 fps. So once again not an issue or deal breaker. The point is you can obtain more than enough fps to make your gameplay enjoyable and take advantage of a 144hz monitor. If you are willing to overclock then you can overcome the gap in performance. Just remember ANY cpu will bottle neck a powerful card.. the matter is where does that occur. I can take a 8700k overclock it to 5.5ghz and then toss in a 1060 and crank the graphics back to 720p and the 8700k would bottleneck the 1060 to a huge degree.

There is always going to be a bottleneck be it on the CPU or GPU. The easier it is for the gpu to render something the more load is put on the cpu, and the harder it is for a gpu to render the less load on the cpu. It all comes down to how many draw calls the CPU needs to process.