Buying a 4 months Mined GPU for gaming

Hey guys i am viewing a Palit Jetstream 1060 6gb that was mined for 4 months. Do you think it's still worth it or nah? Thanks guys! the cost of the GPU btw is around 234$. 

i would say its not worth it, because at the end of the day 4 months of continuous mining is the same as years of casual gaming for the lifespan of a graphics card. you can find a 1060 on newegg for about the same price, and it would be brand new

$234 USD?

And like he said ^^

120ish Days of mining = 2880 Hours of On time.. Thats a LONG time.

1060s on the US Newegg are around $300.00

M Y  S T U F F

Ryzen  PC |~|  Ryzen 5 1600 | GTX 1060 6GB | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4 DDR4 2400 x2 |  WD Blue 250GB SSD | Barracuda Pro 2TB  EVGA 650W 80+Gold |

Laptop |~| Legion Y530 | i7-8750H | GTX 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB DDR4 2666MHz | 128GB SSD | 1 TB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm |

Macbook Air |~| 2.2GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 | Intel HD Graphics 6000 | 8GB of 1600MHz  512GB SSD |

Displays |~| AOC G2460VQ6 24" x2|

Keyboard |~| Corsair Gaming K70RGB 

Mouse |~| Razer Lancehead Pink RG

Audio |~| HyperX Cloud II Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X

Microphone |~| Audio Technica AT2035

M y  R e v i e w s 

Lenovo Y530 Legion Laptop.

More Coming Soon...

Considering if it has been run 24/7 for those 4 months, that it will have been under full load for less than 3000 hours-it should be fine and worth it. My friend got an RX580 that had also been used for mining and it is still working just fine (it arrived very clean and in its original packaging).

12 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

$234 USD?

And like he said ^^

Not in hardware terms. I've got HDD and graphics cards from the 90's that have well over 20K hours clocked on them without any signs of wear and tear. And the cards use electrolytic caps as well (not the solid or polymer caps on modern cards).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

15 minutes ago, spqt said:

i would say its not worth it, because at the end of the day 4 months of continuous mining is the same as years of casual gaming for the lifespan of a graphics card. you can find a 1060 on newegg for about the same price, and it would be brand new

I'm actually eying on it since here in the philippines the price of gpu's is around 375$ and it's really pricey that's why i decided to buy a second hand gpu. Also heard that some says mining GPUs are safer than Gpus made for gaming? Not sure tho but that's what i heard. Also i don't have a credit card sadly

14 minutes ago, K i a r a said:

$234 USD?

And like he said ^^

Yeah was wondering that too but that's cheap here in the philippines already since some second hand sellers are still overpriced even when mined -_-

10 minutes ago, seoz said:

Just get a new one for a bit more money, don't give the miner your money.

i wish i could man :( and yeah i don't wanna give it to miners but i'm out of options a bit hahaha 

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering if it has been run 24/7 for those 4 months, that it will have been under full load for less than 3000 hours-it should be fine and worth it. My friend got an RX580 that had also been used for mining and it is still working just fine (it arrived very clean and in its original packaging).

Not in hardware terms. I've got HDD and graphics cards from the 90's that have well over 20K hours clocked on them without any signs of wear and tear. And the cards us electrolytic caps as well (not the solid or polymer caps on modern cards).

Yeah actually heard that mining gpus are safer than gaming gpus that's why im not so sure hahaha 

but im sure there are better options. if it was me, i would never buy a used gpu - especially when it was used only for mining - and look for other gpus that are a lower cost but can still suit your needs. you really dont know what this guy did to the gpu, he could have over volted it to a point where it was continuously reducing the lifespan of the card to the point where it only lasts you 5 months. put in the extra money or downgrade so you can be happier in the long run

1 hour ago, spqt said:

but im sure there are better options. if it was me, i would never buy a used gpu - especially when it was used only for mining - and look for other gpus that are a lower cost but can still suit your needs. you really dont know what this guy did to the gpu, he could have over volted it to a point where it was continuously reducing the lifespan of the card to the point where it only lasts you 5 months. put in the extra money or downgrade so you can be happier in the long run

I see ill try finding another one but usually sellers here still sells their card at almost the brand new price thats why i thought settling on the mining card. Btw i forgot to mention that the card has still warranty here at our local store

ok, here is what you can do; ask the miner if he has ever overclocked it, and if he has don't get it because the warranty becomes void, but if he has not then go for it - but only when you make sure this is the best option

30 minutes ago, spqt said:

ok, here is what you can do; ask the miner if he has ever overclocked it, and if he has don't get it because the warranty becomes void, but if he has not then go for it - but only when you make sure this is the best option

Ok will take note of it :D thanks! 

Doesn't sound like anyone here has mined Crypto with GPUs before. When you mine, your aren't shitting on the card 24/7 for months. When you mine your card you're actually going for max efficiency. Many miners are capping their cards at 65% power usage and looking to draw as little power as possible. It makes sense to get 80% of the cards mining potential if it runs 40% more efficient. Although the cards do run 24/7, they often experience loads sometimes greatly under what it would experience in say playing some high end games. Mining many coins only utilizes like 60% (or less!) of the GPU, while the GPU is underclocked on the core ( but sometimes overclocked on memory) and set to 65% power usage target. This means although the card is running 24/7, that doesn't mean its been horribly abused. The miner wants the card to run as efficiently as possible, and as long as possible. 

20 hours ago, spqt said:

Is that why every manufacturing sells aftermarket GPUs that they specifically advertise for their overclocking abilities? In many cases overclocking a GPU is perfectly acceptable and does NOT void your warranty if you aren't disabling safeties and pushing it past those safeties. And a Miner would never do that. 

Kinda seeing a lot of misinformation here... Help people with what you know you know, not with what you think you know.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

2 hours ago, spqt said:

I've purchased maybe 8+ used GPUs in the last year. All worked great, all overclocked great, some for mining, some not. Saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Buying a used GPU from some guy on craigslist without checking the card first? Maybe not. If he/she shows you the card running some benchmarks before? Then maybe yes. Buy it on eBay? your guaranteed a working card or your money back if its sold as a working card.

Buying used hardware can be just as good as new hardware, at a fraction of the costs. Just like a new car at a car dealer, as soon as you drive your new car/open your new GPU its worth way less simply because its been used now, even though it is just as good. In one particular case I have a HD5870 that been overclocked to hell forever and has had thousands of hours of operation over years and years, and it still works perfectly fine. 

EDIT: And on the topic of overvolting, a miner would NEVER want to do that as explained in my other reply on this thread.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

45 minutes ago, spqt said:

Miners don't overclock.....

PMSL

If I needed I would. Mining isn't gonna do anything. Bought cards that have been mined on much longer. Almost a year. Mined on it myself too. And used it to game for another year almost. Don't see why it would be an issue. 

I wouldn't get it simply for the brand. But you can listen to the mining myth experts.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

i wouldnt get it, 1. it's a miner who are who helped raise these prices, 2. its close to retail yes its not that old but its close to retail with all those hours on it and he or she made their money back on the card and should sell for 200 tops if that due to its beating.

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

One good thing about that card is that it proves it's a solid workhorse. Some new GPU's take a crap in a month of gaming.... You just never know. $234 isn't bad for a 1060 but maybe he will come down to 200....who knows?

4 minutes ago, alphaproject said:

One good thing about that card is that it proves it's a solid workhorse. Some new GPU's take a crap in a month of gaming.... You just never know. $234 isn't bad for a 1060 but maybe he will come down to 200....who knows?

Even in Australia you're flat out getting an R9 290 4GB (in far worse condition than any mining card) for $230 AUD. The second hand market in the Philippines is about as bad so $234 is actually excellent.

PMSL

I wouldn't buy used pc parts unless they can prove to me it works before i buy it.And the price used would have to be 60% or less of it new.

Go for it. These guys saying a couple months of mining don't know what they're talking about. Big savings can be had on these cards and if they were kept cool they'll last years

That's an F in the profile pic

well GTX 1060 6gb is 2 years old now price will be under $200 once they announce new cards rumor is next month.