Overclocking Intel Core i3-8350k cooling

Hello Everyone,

I'am building my first (from the ground) PC. Looking at the possibility for overclocking, and with some help from a friend, I would like to hobby whit this too.

On some websites I've seen (self-confident) comments that you don't need annything to overclock, and on the other hand I get the advise to use cooling paste (Arctic silver 5?). Whatching a youtube movie 

makes it even more difficult by noticing that if you wanna reach some noticable result, this is a must have.

From out a design perspective (window case) it wouldnt be wrong to do so, as long as it is white like the rest of most of it, and whit a little extra mony it can valuable, or maybe its like an insurance of not demolishing the cpu and probably the motherboard ?? 

Its not a high end computer , there isnt even a graphics card, so if it isnt nassasay... I'dd like too keep the mony where it belongs ;). What I do want, is a silent Pc. In order to so I will replace 1 stock fan from the case, and also chose the lowest db on the power unit. By placing this, I wouldnt like to undo my effords of reducing sound.

Info: MOB Asus prime Z370-a whit negative air preasure, 1 or 2 stock fans on the azxt h500 (front I think) and 1 fan on the back/ top noiceblocker eloop b12-1.

What so you guys/girls think; should I buy an aircooler, or is it totaly save to take a leap of faith and just trust the air fans mounted in the case?

I wouldn't buy the i3 8350k period. It is a waste of a gpu as to get value out of it you need to overclock which brings the build price into the range of better cpus that don't need the extra cost because they don't need to overclock. The i5 8400 with a b360 mobo would not only play games better out of the box it would also run quiter as you wouldn't have to overclock it to get really good gaming performance. 

You need quite a bit to overclock.

The main things you need are a good motherboard, a good power supply, and a good CPU cooler.

As far as what cooling you need, it depends on what your target overclock is. As far as thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 is pretty good.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I can only speak about my own sample of 8350k. Mine did 5.0 GHz with generous voltage (>1.40v) and Noctua D15, even without delid. 4.9 was attainable at a sane voltage. I didn't win the Silicon Lottery on my sample. I used Arctic MX-4 between CPU and cooler mainly as I have a large tube of it. The stuff that comes with Noctua is similar anyway.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I wouldn't buy the i3 8350k period. It is a waste of a gpu as to get value out of it you need to overclock which brings the build price into the range of better cpus that don't need the extra cost because they don't need to overclock. The i5 8400 with a b360 mobo would not only play games better out of the box it would also run quiter as you wouldn't have to overclock it to get really good gaming performance. 

Yep get  i5 8400 with b360 motherboard, overclocked 4 threads CPU (8350k ) won't outperform a 6 threads CPU ( i5 8400 ) at stock speed

i3 8350K makes no sense to invest on, if you want to overclock save for an i5 8600K or the i7 8700K otherwise make an i5 8400 build with cheap mobo.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

21 minutes ago, Overclock Gamer said:

Yep get  i5 8400 with b360 motherboard, overclocked 4 threads CPU (8350k ) won't outperform a 6 threads CPU ( i5 8400 ) at stock speed

Oke sounds interessting :). Why are 6t bether? What does that do more than 4t? Do you know if there are some relyable benchmarks to compare those 2? So if I understand you well, if the i3 is strechted to say 5ghz (like the other commenter), it wouldnt get any bether then the i5 8400?

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

i3 8350K makes no sense to invest on, if you want to overclock save for an i5 8600K or the i7 8700K otherwise make an i5 8400 build with cheap mobo.

Thanks for commeting. Oke, and why isnt it woth it to do so (to like 5.0ghz)? Meaning the mobo I got right know is too exspensive?do you have recommendations (for a white / silver collored)?

51 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Wait...... You have a 8350k and a z370 mobo without a GPU?

Please explane... On the moment I have it in mind. If I get more demanding, and prices are a little bit lower then I get it. 

Their being nice and saying a i3 is for web browsing. Strongly consider a 8400. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

11 minutes ago, O9B0666 said:

Their being nice and saying a i3 is for web browsing. Strongly consider a 8400. 

On what grounds?