Windows 8.1 Crashes at Login Screen AFTER Ryzen Upgrade {Solved}

Cmoparw

I just upgraded from an AMD 8350 on a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 MB with 16GB ram, to an AMD 2600 on an Asrock x470 Master SLI/ac with 16gb 3200 trident z. I am running windows 8.1 64-bit from a samsung 850 pro 256gb: I have yet to reinstall windows and would really prefer not to (I run a secondary SSD for user files which is a pain to set up and i have a great number of programs installed that I no longer have access to install again).

On boot windows loads in low resolution, safe mode says 1024x768p. It gets as far as the login and crashes within 5-10 seconds after. My first guess is drivers, as I have managed to boot into safe mode and it seems stable. After a few boot tries it seems like it crashes about the time it picks up my internet connection. I have downloaded the drivers on the Asrock page but cannot install in safe mode. I just spent 500$ on this upgrade and I don't have more to put into a win 10 key or time to try and regather all my programs and reset everything. Please help.

*Ran CPU-Z and Speccy and also not getting any memory spec or chip set readings. idk if this helps at all.

*Crash screen goes Purple

*Attempted to reboot with LAN disabled, no luck

No OC has been applied, and ram has defaulted to 2133. 

Graphic card is a 1050 Ti [OC'd and cannot turn off afterburner ron on start from safe mode], Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256gb[Main], Kingston V300 120gb[User], Seagate Barracuda 2Tb[Media], (2X)Seagate Barracuda 4Tb [Steam/Games]

Did you had RAPID mode enabled for the Samsung 850 PRO on the last system? Cause I know that thing is a pain when you don't disable it before you move the drive to a new system.

You have to clean install windows if you ever change motherboards.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No, RAPID isn't enabled. Haven't touched samsung magician since my last reinstall because it was causing issues with pc sleep.

I've never had much issue before moving the drive to another system, and I've done it several times between laptops and desktops. Given these have mostly been older systems, at least hardware wise.

2 minutes ago, Cmoparw said:

No, RAPID isn't enabled. Haven't touched samsung magician since my last reinstall because it was causing issues with pc sleep.

I've never had much issue before moving the drive to another system, and I've done it several times between laptops and desktops. Given these have mostly been older systems, at least hardware wise.

Like Enderman said, you gotta clean install. Or you could plug it back into the old system and do a clean uninstall of all the drivers and hope that it will work.

Really wasn't wanting to reinstall until i got an m.2, but that's a few months out budget wise. I also really don't want to go to windows 10, took me long enough to get comfortable with 8.1 and losing support for some of my old win XP stuff, and win 10 will do that even more while tracking me and forcing updates (typically have them disabled tbh)

I have a 240 AIO that i had to rig to the top of the case to fit past the VRM heatsink (and its not coming off anytime soon) and no spare am3 cooler atm, at least until Thursday when i can borrow one off a friend. hopefully I can get drivers done with that and it'll work...

Thanks for the help, ill update if i can get drivers working. Just glad i got the mini pc up and going over the weekend, just enough for google and youtube to help troubleshoot.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Me when people try to argue with me that Windows installations are portable and that booting Windows installations from another system always works. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, Cmoparw said:

Really wasn't wanting to reinstall until i got an m.2, but that's a few months out budget wise. I also really don't want to go to windows 10, took me long enough to get comfortable with 8.1 and losing support for some of my old win XP stuff, and win 10 will do that even more while tracking me and forcing updates (typically have them disabled tbh)

I have a 240 AIO that i had to rig to the top of the case to fit past the VRM heatsink (and its not coming off anytime soon) and no spare am3 cooler atm, at least until Thursday when i can borrow one off a friend. hopefully I can get drivers done with that and it'll work...

Thanks for the help, ill update if i can get drivers working. Just glad i got the mini pc up and going over the weekend, just enough for google and youtube to help troubleshoot.

You should NOT disable updates, it seems like you have no idea about computer security or something.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

You can sysprep it, you'll have to re-enter the Windows CD key but otherwise doing this should be what he's looking for.

On 6/27/2018 at 1:40 AM, r34lj4k3 said:

You can sysprep it, you'll have to re-enter the Windows CD key but otherwise doing this should be what he's looking for.

I used sysprep before to put the user directory on a separate drive from the C. If you could drop a link or even a procedure name to look up that's be great, thanks.

I moved the drives to the old system and still can't do drivers as they can't detect the hardware, as that's the new MB... Currently attempting to move user based files to a 120gb flash drive, sadly usb 2, so I can clear the drive and try a new install and attempt to merge the two somehow.

I know windows isn't made to jump system to system, but I've lucked out in the past and probably expected more than I should've. 

I mis worded, I have anything automatic disabled so it doesn't popup in the middle of a game or restart when I'm afk. I run manual updates every few weeks. Their my settings and while not security optimized they work for me and my preference.

Again, thanks for the time and help.

After no luck Thursday, if anything I made more issues and spent more time resolving those, I took a break  from it. just came back here on saturday and this time it took longer to crash, as well as displayed a code:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (AODDriver2.sys)

I recognized AOD from task manager as AMD Overdrive (mostly used for temp logging and monitoring). After much more googling, and after figuring how to boot the Windows installer process in safe mode, I was able to remove the program and get everything running. For anyone else who ends up with something like this, here ended up being my process.

-Boot to safe mode

-Start windows installer to be able to install/UNINSTALL programs - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/make-windows-installer-work-in-safe-mode - is the method that worked for me, I couldnt get the registry edit method to work.

-Figure out what program is causing the issue and uninstall - I was lucky enough to know the AOD tag and easily find the program

-And that was it, worked fine after.

Thanks for the help, and now I have some new problems to solve [Sata power cable broke, shorted, and killed 2 HDD's on it {6TB total} in all this :( ]

4 hours ago, Cmoparw said:

-snip-

It's only money.