System Administartor

hello everyone,

i would like to build a good system administrator/domain lab using the equipment i have laying around.

i have 10 complete computers , 5 laptops, 4 servers, and a huge number of computer parts and equipment.

so what do you guys suggest for building the ultimate lab for a system administrator training and system engineering.

also i will be a getting a complete Cisco Lab good enough to take me from CCNA up to CCNE, how can i add this Cisco lab to the environment i will build to make a whole lab made of a compilation of servers, computers,laptops, printers and Cisco networking to get the ultimate hands on practice.

please be as detailed and creative as possible  :).

any and all opinions are more than appreciated.

thank you all :)    

10 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

hello everyone,

i would like to build a good system administrator/domain lab using the equipment i have laying around.

i have 10 complete computers , 5 laptops, 4 servers, and a huge number of computer parts and equipment.

so what do you guys suggest for building the ultimate lab for a system administrator training and system engineering.

also i will be a getting a complete Cisco Lab good enough to take me from CCNA up to CCNE, how can i add this Cisco lab to the environment i will build to make a whole lab made of a compilation of servers, computers,laptops, printers and Cisco networking to get the ultimate hands on practice.

Please tell me what parts you have in each of the destops and lying around. Laptops and laptop parts wouldn't work because of their limited upgradability and specific part compatability list. (specific laptop parts, etc.)

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

FINISHED BUILD - VIEW PROFILE

If you say I'm not always right, but I am, I will say I am right. 

rekt

23 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

budget? Used dell r720 running a hypervisor.

please try to read my question carefully please :)

i already have loads and loads of equipment laptops/servers/computers/printers/components , so there is no need for a budget because i dont need to buy anything, but want to make ultimate use of what i have and maybe add something if needed to make my lab environment ultimate.

thanks for your patience :)    

5 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

please try to read my question carefully please :)

i already have loads and loads of equipment laptops/servers/computers/printers/components , so there is no need for a budget because i dont need to buy anything, but want to make ultimate use of what i have and maybe add something if needed to make my lab environment ultimate.

thanks for your patience :)    

what do you have laying around? List the devices?

Just make a vmware cluster and call it a day.

What else do you want to know. This is way to broad to get a answer like this.

26 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

Please tell me what parts you have in each of the destops and lying around. Laptops and laptop parts wouldn't work because of their limited upgradability and specific part compatability list. (specific laptop parts, etc.)

the computers vary from core2duo to i7 - 4gb - 16gb ram - 120gb - 1000gb hdd , laptops same variable specs as the desktops, servers i have 2 x hp proliant (2x quad xeon/ 6gb ram), 1 x ibm (2x dual xeons/ 8gb ram) and one dell power edge (2x quad xeons/ 8gb ram)  printers i have 5 ( 2x hp - 3x cannon pixma)

iam just trying to create a ultimate training lab and make use of all those equipment to create a computer domain/system administrator/ system engineer/ system tech environment.

so please try to help me out with as much details and creativity as possible

many thanks :)  

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

the computers vary from core2duo to i7 - 4gb - 16gb ram - 120gb - 1000gb hdd , laptops same variable specs as the desktops, servers i have 2 x hp proliant (2x quad xeon/ 6gb ram), 1 x ibm (2x dual xeons/ 8gb ram) and one dell power edge (2x quad xeons/ 8gb ram)  printers i have 5 ( 2x hp - 3x cannon pixma)

iam just trying to create a ultimate training lab and make use of all those equipment to create a computer domain/system administrator/ system engineer/ system tech environment.

what systems? Model numbers? there are tons of quad xeon systems, from brand new to 12 years old.

Really take the fastest system, but a hypervisor on it, and run the vms you need. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what do you have laying around? List the devices?

Just make a vmware cluster and call it a day.

What else do you want to know. This is way to broad to get a answer like this.

list of what i have :

computers vary from core2duo to i7 - 4gb - 16gb ram - 120gb - 1000gb hdd , laptops same variable specs as the desktops, servers i have 2 x hp proliant (2x quad xeon/ 6gb ram), 1 x ibm (2x dual xeons/ 8gb ram) and one dell power edge (2x quad xeons/ 8gb ram)  printers i have 5 ( 2x hp - 3x cannon pixma)

many thanks :)  

3 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

How many systems do you want to make?

Again, laptops will stay the same, they can't usually be upgraded at all, and if they can, I doubt you have the tools and parts to upgrade them

Please quote me or @ me in your response so I get a notification.                                                                       I really really really really like small text.

Occupation: Gamer | Hours: 24/7 Full-Time | Hourly Pay: 0 | Benefits: Chick Magnet

rekt

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

what systems? Model numbers? there are tons of quad xeon systems, from brand new to 12 years old.

Really take the fastest system, but a hypervisor on it, and run the vms you need. 

it doesn't matter what specs are they iam just  trying to build an environment similar to that of the job iam gonna get in the future as system engineer/ system administrator. like for example trying to connect the servers in a cluster and make use of the Cisco lab i will be buying to be used as the network connected to the servers and the printers connected in different ways to the computers and the laptops so i can manage them servers/laptops and printers from my workstation... iam sure you know what iam trying to achieve...

to visualize it i need to create like an environment similar to what a data center or company might have and try to mange and trouble shoot the equipment remotely and physically but more remotely.      

6 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

How many systems do you want to make?

Again, laptops will stay the same, they can't usually be upgraded at all, and if they can, I doubt you have the tools and parts to upgrade them

i want to create a huge complete system consisting of servers - computers  - laptops and printers and a workstation to mange and command/troubleshoot all those equipment from the workstation remotely as a training for a system administrator/engineer role   

2 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

it doesn't matter what specs are they iam just  trying to build an environment similar to that of the job iam gonna get in the future as system engineer/ system administrator. like for example trying to connect the servers in a cluster and make use of the Cisco lab i will be buying to be used as the network connected to the servers and the printers connected in different ways to the computers and the laptops so i can manage them servers/laptops and printers from my workstation... iam sure you know what iam trying to achieve...

to visualize it i need to create like an environment similar to what a data center or company might have and try to mange and trouble shoot the equipment remotely and physically but more remotely.      

a lot of this process is making the setup your self, not asking some people online. Make a list of what you want this to do, and come back with specific questions. Don't ask the internet to design your lab.

1 minute ago, OCD-FREAK said:

i want to create a huge complete system consisting of servers - computers  - laptops and printers and a workstation to mange and command/troubleshoot all those equipment from the workstation remotely as a training for a system administrator/engineer role   

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. So you just want to connect the computers in a system?

Make a windows domain and connect all the computers to that. Then you can use 3rd party apps or apps from Microsoft on the admin pc to command all of them using remote access where you can control each of the pcs in the network.

rekt

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a lot of this process is making the setup your self, not asking some people online. Make a list of what you want this to do, and come back with specific questions. Don't ask the internet to design your lab.

Yeah. ^

You didn't tell us what the specific use for them is, or what kind of network you want.

rekt

26 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I am not asking the Internet to design my lab, but asking for opinion randomly for brainstorming ideas of in what form i should build and base my lab

25 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

Yeah. ^

You didn't tell us what the specific use for them is, or what kind of network you want.

I specified the use of them many times but it seems like you guys didn't read properly or I am being complicated 

6 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

I specified the use of them many times but it seems like you guys didn't read properly or I am being complicated 

No, you didn't tell us what they will be used for, like engineering, research, etc. You just said a lab. A lab can be used for a lot of things.

rekt

29 minutes ago, MrShinny said:

No, you didn't tell us what they will be used for, like engineering, research, etc. You just said a lab. A lab can be used for a lot of things.

He did, it's all in the OP ;

If you guys don't want to help that's fine, but there's no need to post if that's the case.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 hour ago, MrShinny said:

its a practice lab. i basically want to build an environment similar to what i will face in a data-center or as a system administrator of a company... 

21 minutes ago, OCD-FREAK said:

its a practice lab. i basically want to build an environment similar to what i will face in a data-center or as a system administrator of a company... 

So setup AD, make a server with a hypervisor, setup DNS/DHCP, network install, setup GP.

But really there is no simple solution, thats why these people get paid to do this. It really depends on your goal.

"So setup AD, make a server with a hypervisor, setup DNS/DHCP, network install, setup GP"

this^

thats what i wanted to read, i want as much ideas and terms as possible then i do a research on every term you mentioned , so please proceed more :) 

I'd make clusters of computers with several vlans on a set of core switches, with seperate IP ranges, permissions, etc.  Separate the printers too.

Maybe connect them via routing protocols.

Assign IP groups based on AD info on a few different  user groups.  Have one IP group be able to have network visibility, have one not.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

9 hours ago, OCD-FREAK said:

hello everyone,

I've been a sysadmin since the late 90's. Here is what you do.

First get someone who knows nothing to tell you what to do. Or better yet a committee, people with HR, PM and Business degrees are best they know exactly how your IT infrastructure should run!

Install different software and different OS's on each one and make sure you have users that like to use weird shit like WordPerfect or Netware only printers.

Install 3 routers in NAT in a row and VPN two of them together for no reason to simulate your predictor.

Never backup or document anything.

Take 4 hours out of your day every day and go sit in a room to simulate a useless meeting where they required you because *something* they are doing has *something* to do with the *Internet* so they need a sr. sysadmin at the table ovis. Right before lunch is the best time to do this because hungry people think better.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

1 hour ago, Yoinkerman said:

I'd make clusters of computers with several vlans on a set of core switches, with seperate IP ranges, permissions, etc.  Separate the printers too.

Maybe connect them via routing protocols.

Assign IP groups based on AD info on a few different  user groups.  Have one IP group be able to have network visibility, have one not.

thats what iam taking about , feed me more ideas :) 

9 minutes ago, jde3 said:

I've been a sysadmin since the late 90's. Here is what you do.

First get someone who knows nothing to tell you what to do. Or better yet a committee, people with HR, PM and Business degrees are best!

Install different software and different OS's on each one and make sure you have users that like to use weird shit like WordPerfect or Netware only printers.

Install 3 routers in NAT in a row and VPN two of them together for no reason to simulate your predictor.

Never backup or document anything.

Take 4 hours out of your day every day and go sit in a room to simulate a useless meeting where they required you because *something* they are doing has *something* to do with the *Internet* so they need a sr. sysadmin at the table ovis. Right before lunch is the best time to do this because hungry people think better.

you sir are the man ! feed me more ideas :) i really would like to hear from you as you are a sysadmin and know what iam talking about :)