Asus is making a ROG Phone because of course they are

Misanthrope

The Asus ROG Phone has a 90Hz screen, vapor cooling, and a plethora of gaming accessories

Unlike some of their competitors Asus decided not to branch into gaming chairs just yet and instead has shown to have much bigger ambitions in mind: A gaming phone. And it yes it has a notch because of course it has one:

sus is starting off Computex 2018 on a high-spec note with the announcement of its ROG Phone. Bearing the Republic of Gamers branding and an unmistakably gamer-oriented design, the ROG Phone is Asus’ answer to the Razer Phone. This is the second phone after Razer’s to offer a 90Hz display — meaning its screen refreshes 90 times per second, delivering smoother animations — and Asus throws in the added bit of gamer pride by powering each ROG Phone with a specially selected 2.96GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 chip. Yes, these will definitely be the fastest Snapdragons around.

Apparently they were not happy about Razer being more gamer than the fucking "Republic of Gamers" so they're jumping head first into the phone market with all kinds of gamery things like vapor cooling, 90hz screens and even a controller accessory (Totally not made by the exact same people that make those cheap chinese bluetooth ones that you can get for 15 bucks on Amazon or Aliexpress)

Here are the specs (because at least that's one thing they're right about we gamers DO obsess about specs quite a bit)

rogphonespecs.PNG.5ae5722fb2a91360dcb9598316ebd562.PNG

In all seriousness though if their price is reasonable they could get a few sales from gamer dudebros that actually like this aesthetic choices of the ROG brand because now you want to make extra sure that every time you take a call away from your ROG PC with ROG mobo ROG graphics ROG monitor and ROG RGB mousepad they still know you're all about, well...ROG

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/4/17424144/asus-rog-phone-gaming-android-specs-modular-computex-2018

EDIT: A few videos on this actually so I'll keep these under spoiler tags at the bottom

EDIT 2: I should clarify that Asus already has made other phones so this was more about the gamer oriented phone so consider this additional edit sufficient ridicule for overlooking said fact.

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

Considering the rest of the specs 1080p pentile on a 6 inch screen is not acceptable.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Hmm seems like Asus has done a decent job on the phone's cooling. I wonder why Asus can't properly design a good cooling for their FX and GL laptop lineup.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Considering the rest of the specs 1080p pentile on a 6 inch screen is not acceptable.

*Looks at steam hardware survey*

steam_resolution.PNG.150382e3e4e5a4070b8422c34f903e58.PNG

I don't disagree with you: I know the phone market is rather competitive, but well over half of gamers seem to be using 1080p and if you also take into account 768p that means 2k and above are a rarity for gamers even on screens that are on average likely 21 inches, not 6.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=pc

EDIT: Note that if you also take into account multi monitor systems, it still comes overwhelmingly 1080p just with people having 2 1080p pannels instead of 1 at 1920x2 (3840) wide and 1080p tall

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

*Looks at steam hardware survey*

steam_resolution.PNG.150382e3e4e5a4070b8422c34f903e58.PNG

I don't disagree with you: I know the phone market is rather competitive, but well over half of gamers seem to be using 1080p and if you also take into account 768p that means 2k and above are a rarity for gamers even on screens that are on average likely 21 inches, not 6.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam?platform=pc

EDIT: Note that if you also take into account multi monitor systems, it still comes overwhelmingly 1080p just with people having 2 1080p pannels instead of 1 at 1920x2 (3840) wide and 1080p tall

That's not my point though. On a smartphone 1080p pentile results in much too low pixel density, to the point where you could probably notice a difference in sharpness between it and a 1440p pentile display at normal viewing distances. Based on specs alone this phone will probably be very expensive, at which point 1080p pentile is not acceptable.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

I will be honest. Out of all companies that made phones, this one actually seems to be focused on details, like the top buttons for shooting. I like the dual screen Nintendo-like idea, as well as dual front facing speakers (praise the lord). All of that is good. Would I still buy it or recommend it? Hell no.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Pretty cool. Not worth the kidney theyre gonna want

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Ill stick to my Moto Z2 for a bit longer thank you very much :/. That thing must cost an arm and a leg jesus. 2.96 Ghz on an 845? Like my lord xD 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

It's cool, and having a higher refresh screen I believe could make the whole experience of the phone nicer not just in games but swiping through the home screen and app draw. Yet I still have no desire to own a gaming phone.

I think this would be good for people who carry round a handheld gaming device and their phone and wish to only carry round their phone but want more substantial controls. The joy con looking things are quite a good solution into turning your phone into a reasonably comfortable gaming handheld

9 minutes ago, Ginger_ said:

Pretty cool. Not worth the kidney theyre gonna want

They might want to price it competitively so they can then sell all the accessory's for significant sums of money. Considering it has a 1080p and 90hz not 122hz/1440p (like the Razer phone)  it shouldn't be too much money.... Famous last words. But here's hoping

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

11 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

You clearly haven't thought it through with your ideals for a 'gaming' phone

Do you really need more than 1080p on a 6" screen? How much better is 1440p going to look, and will it be worth the performance impact and increased battery consumption by both screen and GPU?

Its like asking for 4K and 1080Ti SLI on a laptop.

I actually have. 

You see, I would agree with you that 1080p is fine on a 6" screen IF this was using an RGB sub pixel layout. But it's not; instead it's using a pentile sub pixel layout which means the effective resolution is more like 1527 x 764. Which is NOT enough. 

I still have not seen good evidence that higher resolution screens actually consume that much more power than lower resolution screens. Gpu? Maybe, though that's when you should be allowed to adjust screen render resolution if you wish. 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

26 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I actually have. 

You see, I would agree with you that 1080p is fine on a 6" screen IF this was using an RGB sub pixel layout. But it's not; instead it's using a pentile sub pixel layout which means the effective resolution is more like 1527 x 764. Which is NOT enough. 

I still have not seen good evidence that higher resolution screens actually consume that much more power than lower resolution screens. Gpu? Maybe, though that's when you should be allowed to adjust screen render resolution if you wish. 

1527 x 764 resolution is your claim?

That comes at 284 dpi on a 6" phone screen

Average PC screen is 1920x1080 22"comes at 100 dpi roughly

Let's be charitable here and assume that you hold your phone on average 3 times closer to you than the PC monitor I think that's more or less a fair assertion for how you use a 22 inc desktop screen vs a phone you hold a lot closer.

284/3 totals 94.6 DPI

This means that even if I fully grand every single one of your claims about pentile screens as 100% accurate and I take into account that you hold a phone far closer to your eyes with normal use you're still taking very similar pixel density and framerates in both these experiences.

I'll even grand that power consumption and processor power aren't issues at higher resolution. This thing is aimed at gamers and as the market very clearly shows the trend for the people Asus specifically targets with ROG is to have lower resolution and higher refresh rate so, quite adequate phone even conceding all you said as I said.

-------

Current Rig

-------

in a few years it may be at a price i can afford

22 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

I'm curious: where did they source the dual type-C sockets and plugs? O_O

its asus they probably asked for them

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Cooler%20Insert_575px.jpg

sCqK9Ezl.jpg

There goes using generic cables... They get to check both boxes. 

• USB C standard interface
  • Proprietary

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

Cooler%20Insert_575px.jpg

sCqK9Ezl.jpg

IMO fast charging and for peripherals without needing OTG and for stability in the dock. win/win

I kind of want it personally.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

What if I want an AREZ phone? Huh, Asus?

==ECHELON (Main Rig)==

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.4 GHz
Mobo | Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming

GPU | Sapphire NITRO+ RX-580

RAM | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2133

SSD | Plextor 512GB

HDD | 3x WD Black 3TB

PSU | EVGA 750G2

Case | Fractal Design Define R6

Disp | 2 x Acer K242HQL

Keys | Corsair K70 RGB Mk2, MX-Red

Mouse | Logitech M215v2 Wireless

==Snow (Server)==

APU | AMD A6-5400K

Mobo | ASRock FM2-A88XM

RAM | 4GB Kingston ValuRAM

SSD | 120GB Adata

HDD | 2x Toshiba 3TB, 3x Hitachi 2TB

PSU | EVGA 600B

Case | Cooler Master N300

==DISHFIRE (laptop)==

MODEL | Asus X550IU "Signature Edition" (whatever that means)

APU | AMD FX-9830P with Radeon R7 Graphics
GPU | Radeon RX-460

SSD | Mushkin Triactor 500GB

HDD | 1x HGST 1TB

10 minutes ago, Pretzel4000 said:

What if I want an AREZ phone? Huh, Asus?

Wasn't an AMD product so Nvidia didn't try to kill it rename it :P.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

1527 x 764 resolution is your claim?

That comes at 284 dpi on a 6" phone screen

Average PC screen is 1920x1080 22"comes at 100 dpi roughly

Let's be charitable here and assume that you hold your phone on average 3 times closer to you than the PC monitor I think that's more or less a fair assertion for how you use a 22 inc desktop screen vs a phone you hold a lot closer.

284/3 totals 94.6 DPI

This means that even if I fully grand every single one of your claims about pentile screens as 100% accurate and I take into account that you hold a phone far closer to your eyes with normal use you're still taking very similar pixel density and framerates in both these experiences.

I'll even grand that power consumption and processor power aren't issues at higher resolution. This thing is aimed at gamers and as the market very clearly shows the trend for the people Asus specifically targets with ROG is to have lower resolution and higher refresh rate so, quite adequate phone even conceding all you said as I said.

Look at a 6" pentile phone at 2k  vs one at 1080 then you cant get back to us about how there is no difference. 

39 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:

There goes using generic cables... They get to check both boxes. 

• USB C standard interface
  • Proprietary

i guess it will have to be tested but there is a good chance that we will be able to use them as normal usb-c connections

8 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Look at a 6" pentile phone at 2k  vs one at 1080 then you cant get back to us about how there is no difference. 

That's not my argument: I am not saying there is no difference, I am saying that 1080p even for a pentile screen is not inherently deficient yet since it's still a pixel density most people use and that gamers prefer in order to achieve higher framerates which this phone tries to provide.

So it's actually more gamer to select a lower resolution screen that can do higher response time and framerate than a really pretty really high resolution that is harder to drive at those higher standards of responsiveness and motion fluidity.

Gamers prefer higher framerate over higher resolution we've seen this time and time again. Even if there's a perceivable difference it's deemed "good enough" to not sacrifice those other aspects.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

nd that gamers prefer in order to achieve higher framerates which this phone tries to provide.

We are still talking about phones though. Who the fuck cares if you are getting 60 vs 90 on a fucking phone. On top of that pretty much and phone made in the past 2 years can handle 2k resolution in games at 60+