Google turning evil? Removes majority of "Don't be evil" from their CoC

iRileyx

The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

Image result for livecorp is evil gif Makes me think of this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

Corroborate: reliable source.

Do you have actual evidence of self professed Marxists in Google? Do you know what Marxism is? Have you read Das Kapital? Are you familiar with the philosophical and economical nuances of late modernist theories?

Neo Marxisme is not marxism, nor does it have anything to do with Das Kapital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Marxism#Neo-Marxist_feminist_theory

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This, plus their military AI development...

I know how this ends. I played Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. :P

Spoiler: it doesnt end well.

2 hours ago, Notional said:

Neo Marxisme is not marxism, nor does it have anything to do with Das Kapital. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Marxism#Neo-Marxist_feminist_theory

My question was pretty straightforward, do you have evidence of Google employees claiming to be Marxist, neo Marxist, or whatever scary term people like to use nowadays?

Why evade the question by trying to change the topic? It is either a yes or no.  

Edit: and referencing Wikipedia does not really help your case. I await a more serious response. 

Skynet (Google) vs Tony Stark (Elon Musk) coming to a town near you!

2 hours ago, Deus Voltage said:

My question was pretty straightforward, do you have evidence of Google employees claiming to be Marxist, neo Marxist, or whatever scary term people like to use nowadays?

Why evade the question by trying to change the topic? It is either a yes or no.  

Edit: and referencing Wikipedia does not really help your case. I await a more serious response. 

Yes, the damore case clearly proves their modus operandi.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yes, the damore case clearly proves their modus operandi.

Circling back to that story again? I said corroborated information, credible sources. I don't see any self professed "neo Marxist" or whatever word you think is scary to use nowadays. And even if there were, so what? Is that a problem? Treat people by how effective, principled and consistent they are,the rest is secondary. 

Just now, Deus Voltage said:

Circling back to that story again? I said corroborated information, credible sources. I don't see any self professed "neo Marxist" or whatever word you think is scary to use nowadays. And even if there were, so what? Is that a problem? Treat people by how effective, principled and consistent they are,the rest is secondary. 

With all due respect, you don't even know what neo marxism/intersectional feminism is. I don't blame you though. It's difficult to explain and understand such an over reaching ideology. But it's utter nonsense to demand sources of people identifying as such. You can see it on behaviour alone. A behaviour warrenting a massive law suits with many accusers now (Damore case). If you don't want to spend the time looking into this and understanding it, well I don't blame you really. But that doesn't make me wrong. It just makes you ignorant.

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

With all due respect, you don't even know what neo marxism/intersectional feminism is. I don't blame you though. It's difficult to explain and understand such an over reaching ideology. But it's utter nonsense to demand sources of people identifying as such. You can see it on behaviour alone. A behaviour warrenting a massive law suits with many accusers now (Damore case). If you don't want to spend the time looking into this and understanding it, well I don't blame you really. But that doesn't make me wrong. It just makes you ignorant.

Oh I see how this is. So you assume that I am ignorant because I have asked you repeatedly to provide corroborated information? I am very puzzled by your behavior, particularly because I have shown no ill intent and I have not insulted you, yet you call me names? No wonder the world is so divided. The spectrum of discussion is too limited to have any fruitful conversation. 

Edit: "you can see it on behaviour alone": that is a very dangerous statement to make, I hope you realize what you have just stated.

22 hours ago, Enderman said:

Maybe skynet is not such a bad thing  ;)

Ever read Daemon and FreedomTM by Daneil Suarez? ;)

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

Don't know how much this is "news" anymore. Google has walked over that "Don't be evil"-motto a long time ago. Acctually let me show you:

Yes, it’s about providing our users unbiased access to information, focusing on their needs and giving them the best products and services that we can...

Who remembers the times when there was no ads shown in Google search? I mean those few years back clearly labeled "Ad" hits. They came somewhere around in the middle of 00's and were debate for some time because they were not labeled as sold ads, but diggers dig and the truth unfolded, Google had started to sell ad space on their search results. Was it unbiased as Googles own motto said they were oblicated to deliver, of course not. But this is only the tip, let's take a better look at that citate:

Yes, it’s about providing our users unbiased access to information, focusing on their needs and giving them the best products and services that we can.

Law to common language translation: "We will monitor what you do, where you do and when you do and we will offer our products and our parterns products to you as we see you need them"

They basicly have had the whole time, in their CoC, paragraph that at the same time makes it sound like they are the good guys and give them freedom to prefer their products over the competition. But this is just normal corporation BS. The money must come from somewhere and everybody who were even a little tech savvy when Google started knew that the "Don't be evil" was more or less something of a advertisement for how the new deodorant will make you instantly desirable. While Yahoo, AltaVista and others made their money by offering ads on their front page, what at the same time made Google the best was, in hindisight, a sign what was really going on.

And don't take me wrong. I'm more than okay with what Google is doing, because the money must come from somewhere, would be really stupid to think otherwise, and offering free services and products to masses really doesn't sound like something that would be very profitable in the long run.

For me, they were evil the moment they started censoring videos on YouTube and websites. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Deus Voltage said:

Notice how I specifically used your own terminology, "neo marxism", and not the term "ideological bubble". I am doing academic research at this very moment about social media and ideological bubbles using Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing consent and David Corn's insights from his debates in Brown University, so I know a thing or two about ideological bubbles on the web. 

And if the sources I shared with you are not enough, then I think we are done here. You seem to be bent on dismissing evidence from established journalistic sources and only taking the side of Damore. 

If you are studying in this field, the ideological bias of media from the journalists, should be fundamental in your research. Bias is always important when doing research, right? In fact all research papers have a bias section. Journalistic articles do not, sadly. The problem with your sources (that has been deleted), is that they misrepresent Damore and what he actually wrote in the memo. That is not just bad journalism, but bias driven journalism. As an academic, you must understand the problems with that?

Either way, if you want to call them neo marxists or something else, is kinda irrelevant in the end. Authoritarian ideology has taken foothold in Google, and their actions reflects that.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

If you are studying in this field, the ideological bias of media from the journalists, should be fundamental in your research. Bias is always important when doing research, right? In fact all research papers have a bias section. Journalistic articles do not, sadly. The problem with your sources (that has been deleted), is that they misrepresent Damore and what he actually wrote in the memo. That is not just bad journalism, but bias driven journalism. As an academic, you must understand the problems with that?

Either way, if you want to call them neo marxists or something else, is kinda irrelevant in the end. Authoritarian ideology has taken foothold in Google, and their actions reflects that.

Out of respect for the moderators (and the site), I will not digress from the topic any further.

As to Google behaving in an authoritarian like manner, then yes I very much agree with that statement (but not in the manner you have described earlier, there are better cases to be made against Google than your previous arguments. Military contracts for example as well as the blurring of lines between state and corporate influence)

Peace. 

17 hours ago, maartendc said:

This, plus their military AI development...

I know how this ends. I played Horizon: Zero Dawn on PS4. :P

Spoiler: it doesnt end well.

Time to search for the Cheat Codes of LifeTM (microtransaction item - only 2000 small purchases of $1) and console commands...

On 5/21/2018 at 5:54 PM, Enderman said:

Are you aware of what a CoC is or how it works?

If someone takes them to court because "they did X and this is evil and it affected me in some way" and it says in their CoC to "not be evil" then they would have to pay money.

Just like the terms and conditions of a product.

i dont think thats how it works. if you pitch that to any judge or attorney they will laugh you out of the room. 

maybe they removed it to make the CoC more serious but i dont think they were worried about legal issues

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont think thats how it works. if you pitch that to any judge or attorney they will laugh you out of the room. 

maybe they removed it to make the CoC more serious but i dont think they were worried about legal issues

You would be surprised at the BS that gets taken to court sometimes.

You would also be surprised at the BS that wins lawsuits.

A good lawyer is all you need.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

google also promised in the beginning that they WILL NEVER SERVE ADS to users.

but they broke this promise. so the other ones should follow soon

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

'Don't be evil' conduct is useless since it only follows where the money is.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero