Ubuntu 18.04

Hi

I've been reading about this new Ubuntu release and looks like they've dropped that Unity desktop that ate RAM like Chrome, I'd love to install it and remove Bloat 10 forever from my computer but I don't know if my games will run on it, I mainly play:

• League Of Legends
  • DOTA 2
  • Fallout 4
  • Other AAA games

Another big issue would be network config, right now all of the computers on my network have different Windows versions (10 and 7 basically), I use mine to access a single partition on the home NAS (that runs W7) will Ubuntu be able to access and modify this partition?

Is my rig absolutely compatible with this OS? (sig)

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

14 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Hi

I've been reading about this new Ubuntu release and looks like they've dropped that Unity desktop that ate RAM like Chrome, I'd love to install it and remove Bloat 10 forever from my computer but I don't know if my games will run on it, I mainly play:

• League Of Legends
  • DOTA 2
  • Fallout 4
  • Other AAA games

Another big issue would be network config, right now all of the computers on my network have different Windows versions (10 and 7 basically), I use mine to access a single partition on the home NAS (that runs W7) will Ubuntu be able to access and modify this partition?

Games are easy to check, hit Steam and see. If it's listed, they will run.

And to your NAS, piece of cake, I have the same set up (sans Win10) in my home

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Games are easy to check, hit Steam and see. If it's listed, they will run.

And to your NAS, piece of cake, I have the same set up (sans Win10) in my home

only DOTA is on steam and it should work

the NAS was my biggest concern here

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

43 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Of course if you system is hardcore enough, run win10 in a VM and enjoy your games, I do this (although with Win7 in a VM) and it's fine.

My NAS devices have no issues with Ubuntu, and I run an older version 14.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS on another system.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 hours ago, aezakmi said:

I'd love to install it and remove Bloat 10 forever from my computer but I don't know if my games will run on it, I mainly play:

So you are going away from Bloat 10 and installing Bloat 18.04? Cool :D

Just install Debian, or Mint, or Manjaro (if you want arch based distro)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

19 hours ago, aezakmi said:

LoL works very well with wine. You'd have to check winehq for compatibility for other games that aren't offered on linux natively.

I'm about ready to drop my dual boot for linux. I'm just finding the last of the apps I need.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

7 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Ubuntu 18.04 was not bloated at all when I tried it in a VM with the new minimal install option during the installer.

Spoiler

My main desktop, "Rufus":

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120

RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengence DDR4 Red LED @ 3066mt/s

Motherboard: MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

GPU: XFX RX 580 GTR XXX White 

Storage: Mushkin ECO3 256GB SATA3 SSD + Some hitachi thing

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650W

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

Retro machine:

Spoiler

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

CPU Cooler: Stock heatsink

RAM: GSkill 4gb DDR2 1066mt/s

Motherboard: Asus P5n-e SLI

GPU: 8800 GTS 640mb, I swap between that and my 8800 GTS 512mb

Storage: Seagate 320gb right from 2006

PSU: Ultra 600W 

Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW

OS: Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit, Manjaro Deepin x64 (sorta)

Mac Pro Early 2008: Dual Xeon X5482s w/ 32GB RAM & HD 5770 running macOS High Sierra

More PC's

8 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

You're saying is just the same? I remember Ubuntu eating a lot of resources back in the 11.X days

on the other hand I did used Mint once, 13 with MATE desktop, and it was great considering my rig had a single core CPU and 512MB RAM, it lacked some customization stuff but that wasn't a problem

2 hours ago, Terryv said:

LoL works very well with wine. You'd have to check winehq for compatibility for other games that aren't offered on linux natively.

I'm about ready to drop my dual boot for linux. I'm just finding the last of the apps I need.

just found a guide to make LoL work with different Linux distros, looks like it's finally happening, I also found something called Lutris (not sure what it is) and it says you can play F4 with it by using the AMD Vulkan API https://lutris.net/games/fallout-4/

not sure how to make it work yet, I already have a saved game and I really don't want to lose it, same with LoL, I already have all of the files, it should work

29 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

I also found something called Lutris (not sure what it is) and it says you can play F4 with it by using the AMD Vulkan API https://lutris.net/games/fallout-4/

not sure how to make it work yet, I already have a saved game and I really don't want to lose it, same with LoL, I already have all of the files, it should work

Lutris is just a front end for wine with some special config files and patches for certain games.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

On 5/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, aezakmi said:

Hi

• League Of Legends
  • DOTA 2
  • Fallout 4
  • Other AAA games

LoL- no

Dota 2 - yeah and it performs better on Linux than on windows.(more FPS) 

Fallout 4 - no

other AAA games: mostly not and most performs worse on Linux than on windows(less FPS) except metro last light which is a rare exception

indie games: mostly yes and most performs better on Linux than on windows. That isn’t as relevant though because most of these games are very undemanding.

gnome is nearly as resource hungry as unity. You can simply uninstall the desktop and install some lighter desktop enviorment on it. Do note that these are often less pretty and have less functionality than flagship desktops like gnome though. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I never had any luck running LOL on wine, its always lagged and ran poorly. I don't see how switching from unity is an upgrade. Gnome 3 runs the whole UI on a single thread and crashes all the time. I'm staying with kde until gnome is rebuilt from the ground up. KDE uses too much memory as well but at least its silky smooth.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

3 hours ago, panther420 said:

Ubuntu 18.04 was not bloated at all when I tried it in a VM with the new minimal install option during the installer.

Yep, I have the Mate version running on my Xeon.  24 threads loaded with BOINC and it barely uses 1GB of my RAM.  Minimal install too.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

1 hour ago, wasab said:

LoL- no

Dota 2 - yeah and it performs better on Linux than on windows.(more FPS) 

Fallout 4 - no

other AAA games: mostly not and most performs worse on Linux than on windows(less FPS) except metro last light which is a rare exception

indie games: mostly yes and most performs better on Linux than on windows. That isn’t as relevant though because most of these games are very undemanding.

gnome is nearly as resource hungry as unity. You can simply uninstall the desktop and install some lighter desktop enviorment on it. Do note that these are often less pretty and have less functionality than flagship desktops like gnome though. 

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep, I have the Mate version running on my Xeon.  24 threads loaded with BOINC and it barely uses 1GB of my RAM.  Minimal install too.

I went for Ubuntu Mate too, mainly because I've used Mint Mate before and want to have stable drivers

I guess we'll see, I'll install in a few hours and with my snail internet it'll take a long while to download updates and drivers.