2 hours ago, Jonny said:

What do you run on these servers?

Thats alot of $$$£££

He runs things... xD

But seriously, the servers are used for a variety of things.

The new storage server will run a hypervisor which will run the storage host and also some VMs for rtorrent, sonarr, couchpotato.

The server will also be used to store CCTV footage a few times a year.

I should also point out that I know this because me and @looney share a RFC1918 block and have an IPsec tunnel between us, and our servers are joined and managed together.

Edited by .:MARK:.

Comb it with a brick

9 hours ago, Jonny said:

Thats alot of $$$£££

Cost me 0$  and 0£

€ however... 

:P

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

10 hours ago, .:MARK:. said:

He runs things... xD

But seriously, the servers are used for a variety of things.

The new storage server will run a hypervisor which will run the storage host and also some VMs for rtorrent, sonarr, couchpotato.

The server will also be used to store CCTV footage a few times a year.

I should also point out that I know this because me and @looney share a RFC1918 block and have an IPsec tunnel between us, and our servers are joined and managed together.

I run couchpotato, sonarr, transmissions, emby, Jackett, gitlab, nagios and more on mine.

You must have a good connection speeds between you and looney

1 hour ago, looney said:

Cost me 0$  and 0£

€ however... 

:P

:D

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

41 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I run couchpotato, sonarr, transmissions, emby, Jackett, gitlab, nagios and more on mine.

You must have a good connection speeds between you and looney

:D

The storage server is designed to be functional standalone and also somewhat portable (as portable as several Us of rackmount gear can be).

The virtualisation servers run a whole lot more VMs running many services.

The connection between me and looney isn't great, but the most important services are HA and failover.

I'll work on a network diagram for me and @looney when were done with most of the work.

Comb it with a brick

Even though this is not quite 10TB (Hopefully it will be someday), but I wanted to post it anyway :D

Hardware

CASE: Dell Precision T7400

PSU: Dell PSU

MB: Dell MB

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5440

HS: Stock Dell heatsink

RAM: 16GB DDR2 ECC FB-DIMM

GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 Nvidia Geforce GT 220

HBA: Dell SAS 1068E, Flashed with LSI IT firmware

HDD 1: 1TB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 (VMWare ESXi)

HDD 2: 500GB Western Digital WD5000AAKS (ZFS mirror in FreeNAS)

HDD 3: 500GB Seagate ST3500418AS (ZFS mirror in FreeNAS)

Software and Configuration:

I run VMWare ESXi 6.0 as the base OS on this server. I have the 1TB Hitachi running on the onboard Sata controller so it's independent from the 500GB drives which are running off the HBA. Here are the few virtual machines I have running:

• FreeNAS: General data storage and backups of my computers (with Rsync). I am using hardware pass-through to get the HBA to this VM so I can run ZFS mirror on the 2 500GB hard drives.
  • Windows Server 2016 Datacenter: Currently only runs my VPN so I can access my network remotely.
  • OpenSUSE: Plex server that I use to access my movie collection. I have mounted the freenas volume in this vm so I can store my movies there.
  • Debian: Torrent server (Deluge).

Usage:

Primary role of this server is to do daily backups of my computers and act as media/general storage server. I have Plex Media Server running in OpenSUSE virtual machine with fstab entry so I can store movies on FreeNAS. I have been slowly ripping my kinda large movie collection to this over the last few months. I also have Deluge running in Debian virtual machine for bigger overnight downloads, so I don't have to leave my computer running.

Backup:

As this is the backup for my computers I haven't done anything about backing this up yet.

Additional info:

Due to the location where I had to put the server (heat and noise), I have to use powerline to run networking. So I only get around 50Mb link to it from my other computers which are on gigabit network otherwise. If anyone has any ideas how to make this faster I am open for suggestions.

Photos:

4xfJsXu.jpg

(I have the keyboard on the top of the server because I am too lazy to search the bios for option to disable the warning :D)

FquuwUf.jpg

DZq0D0A.png?1

gRZfGUs.png

JN8ADIk.jpg

vLaHf6J.png

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

I did a thing and put it in a cardboard box. 

Specs

Xeon X5472 (2x)

32GB of RAM

16TB of storage

(4x 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001) 

(4x 2TB Hitachi A7K2000) 

Running FreeNAS

Huge thanks to @Vitalius for helping me set it up and providing some of the parts!

And now here are some crappy photos.

127d596aaf.jpg

c82fde2d72.jpg   27c36452d2.jpg872416037e.jpg

So glorious.

COMIC SANS

1 hour ago, TopWargamer said:

Specs

Xeon X 5472 (2x)

32GB of RAM

16TB of storage

Running FreeNAS

Huge thanks to @Vitalius for helping me set it up and providing some of the parts!

Hide contents

127d596aaf.jpg

So glorious.

Please follow the template on the first page (the very first build post in the thread) so that we have details like the size, count, and manufacturer of you hard drives. Those are used to place you in the ranking and make the graphs about how many drives we have combined.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

11 hours ago, brwainer said:

Please follow the template on the first page (the very first build post in the thread) so that we have details like the size, count, and manufacturer of you hard drives. Those are used to place you in the ranking and make the graphs about how many drives we have combined.

Thanks for the heads up. Fixed it. The specific Seagate drive may be wrong, because I edited the post while on the go. Will double check it later. 

COMIC SANS

On 1/6/2017 at 2:23 AM, TopWargamer said:

Specs

Xeon X5472 (2x)

32GB of RAM

16TB of storage

(4x 2TB Seagate ST2000DM001) 

(4x 2TB Hitachi A7K2000) 

Running FreeNAS

Hide contents

127d596aaf.jpg

So glorious.

Wow, first I've seen of this style case. 

What are the HDD temperatures like in that setup?  I'd be fairly concerned with them being sandwiched together like that with no direct air flow.

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

Small update on the lack of updates:IMG_20170109_164524.jpg

This is taking a while... 

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Hardware

SERVER DESIGNATION: "Vanaheim" (Norse: World of Vanir, Group of Gods/Goddesses)

CASE: Fractal Design Node 804

PSU: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold - Fully Modular

MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F Micro ATX LGA1150

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V3 3.1Ghz Quad Core

HS: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

RAM: Crucial 16GB DDR3-1600 ECC

RAID CARD: N/A

SSD: N/A

HDD 1: 8x 4TB WD Red 5400 RPM (WD40EFRX) (32TB)

HDD 2: 4x 3TB WD Green 5400 RPM (WD30EURS) (12TB)

Running FreeNAS 9.10.1 (d989edd) - Designated "Æsir" (The primary race of Norse Gods)

I have setup two Volumes:

ZFS RAIDZ2 - 8x 4TB Drives - Usable storage of 20.0TB (RAW 32TB) - Designated "Vanir" (A Group of Norse Gods/Goddesses)

ZFS RAIDZ2 - 4x 3TB Drives - Usable storage of 5.1TB (RAW 12TB) - Designated "Asynjur" (Another Group of Norse Gods/Goddesses, Belonging to the Æsir)

Usage:

The main Volume "Vanir" is used primarily as a secure redundant storage for my streaming media and content creation storage (Podcast, Gaming footage). Full system drive backups will eventually go here once setup.

The secondary Volume "Asynjur" is used as storage for backups of programs, DVR storage for my Antenna DVR system, and other miscellaneous non-critical data. These are just spare drive I had, and as you'll see below, are hacked to fit in the system.

Backup:

My entire household is in the process of being backed up offline to SOS Online Backup Crashplan. I have CenturyLink Gigabit internet, but the backup is still taking a few weeks.

Photo's:

NAS-Vanir-Drives.jpg

NAS-Vanir-Labels.jpg

NAS-Asynjur.jpg

NAS-Front.jpg

NAS-FreeNAS-Drives.jpg

1 minute ago, Mikensan said:

@Nemockulous - do you have crashplan running inside a jail, or on a separate box (windows/linux)?

Separate box, My windows Desktop. I know FreeNAS has a plugin for Crashplan, but I haven't explored it.

1 minute ago, Nemockulous said:

Separate box, My windows Desktop. I know FreeNAS has a plugin for Crashplan, but I haven't explored it.

Ah ok. Their plugin last I checked was on an older version and won't update. If you try to manually install the port / package inside a jail it wants the linux kernel module which can't be installed inside a jail. Issue with it being an older version is the newer client uses a different method to authenticate/connect to the crashplan server, and thus not backwards compatible. Nice setup btw.

On 12/24/2016 at 8:48 PM, .:MARK:. said:

Someone is incredibly close to looney on those graphs...

It may take time, but there may be a small surprise on looney's setup, I think all he needs is a little motivation. xDxDxD 

I think there should be a different list for all SSD servers, then I'd bother listing mine :P.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think there should be a different list for all SSD servers, then I'd bother listing mine :P.

Here I am just happy to be sitting at 27th (whenever this gets updated iunno)

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Personally I want a homelab thread, where people can actually explain and show off their systems/clusters and networks. That's when I'll bother posting my stuff.

Comb it with a brick

6 minutes ago, .:MARK:. said:

Personally I want a homelab thread, where people can actually explain and show off their systems/clusters and networks. That's when I'll bother posting my stuff.

That's what I was using this thread for:

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hardware

CASE: Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B chassis with BPN-SAS2-846EL SAS 2 backplane

PSU: Supermicro dual PWS-1K21P-1R 1200 watt PSUs

MB: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ dual socket LGA2011 motherboard

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2670 (SR0H8)

HS: 2x Supermicro SNK-P0048P CPU Coolers

RAM: 192GB ECC Memory (24x 8GB PC3-10600R DIMM)

RAID CARD 1: Supermicro SAS2308 SAS2 HBA (flashed to IT mode, fw 20.00.04.00)

SSD: Samsung SV843 enterprise 960GB

HDD 1: 20x 6TB HGST NAS 7200 RPM

HDD 2: 4x 1.5TB Samsung Ecogreen 5400 RPM

NIC: Mellanox ConnectX 2 - MNPA19-XTR HP 10Gb ethernet (SFP+ DAC cable)

The OS is Ubuntu Server 16.04 with ZFS on Linux configured.  I also have samba installed to us for SMB/CIFS/NFS network file sharing.  I will also be using rsync to keep files synchronized between my two NAS systems.  Other than those components there are a few other basics to lock down the system to keep it protected.  Given the CPU and RAM on this system this may end up becoming my primary Plex server to take over for my other NAS.

Right now I have no SLOG or L2ARC configured until I do more performance testing.  I've partitioned a little less than half of the Samsung SV843 SSD to be used for either of these tasks.  I realize that a dedicated SSD should be used for this purpose but I don't have many synchronous writes to take advantage of a small SLOG and my system has tons of memory to use for ARC that I think configuring an L2ARC will only detract from performance.

My primary zpool is configured as 2 vdevs in raidz2 with 10 disks in each.

The secondary pool will be 1 vdev in raidz with 4 disks.

Both my zpools will be configured with compression=lz4 and only the primary pool will use ashift=12 since it's using 4k drives.

Usage:

Backups and media warehouse.  Potentially a new and/or replacement Plex server.  This will be used for other processing of data in the background.

Backup:

This is the backup to my other NAS as well as a backup to data on my desktop systems.

Additional info:

This is my second large NAS.  The first one is listed earlier in this thread.

The Mellanox 10Gb NICs will be direct connected to each of the NAS systems to allow for higher bandwidth syncs.

Photo's:

sm_846_front.jpg

sm_846_top_inside.jpg

sm_846_top_inside_ssd.jpg

lsi_hba.jpg

drive_tower.jpg

lsblk_overview_resized.jpg

zpool_overview_resized.jpg

Workstation 1: Intel i7 4790K | Thermalright MUX-120 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | 32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite 1866 9-9-9-27 ( 4 x 8GB) | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HGST 4TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 2 x HGST 6TB NAS 7.2KRPM | 1 x Samsung 1TB 7.2KRPM | Seasonic 1050W 80+ Gold | Fractal Design Define R4 | Win 8.1 64-bit
NAS 1: Intel Intel Xeon E3-1270V3 | SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O | 32GB RAM DDR3L ECC (8GBx4) | 12 x HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 256GB (boot/OS) | SAMSUNG 850 Pro 128GB (ZIL + L2ARC) | Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold | Rosewill RSV-L4411 | Xubuntu 14.10

Notebook: Lenovo T500 | Intel T9600 | 8GB RAM | Crucial M4 256GB

On 1/14/2017 at 6:50 PM, handruin said:

zpool_overview_resized.jpg

Beautiful :x

I wish that wasn't about $10,000 worth of drives in my currency....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

I have enough drives (8x2TB, 3x4TB) and hardware to get on this list, I just need to build something. 

Had 32x 850 Pro 2TB drives arrive today.

Would be fun to play with them in a massive RAID0 config if I wasn't on a time crunch.

.eJwVzMENwyAMAMBdGAA7piF1tkEEEapQI-y-ou5

5 minutes ago, Dark said:

Would be fun to play with them in a massive RAID0 config if I wasn't on a time crunch.

Wanna send 10 of those my way? Thanks. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, Dark said:

What are you building, and is it for business or pleasure?

SSD Firmware Engineer

| Dual Boot Linux Mint and W8.1 Pro x64 with rEFInd Boot Manager | Intel Core i7-4770k | Corsair H100i | ASRock Z87 Extreme4 | 32 GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz CL8 | EVGA GTX970 FTW+ | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo |250GB Samsung 840 Evo | 3x1Tb HDD | 4 LG UH12NS30 BD Drives | LSI HBA | Corsair Carbide 500R Case | Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate | Logitech M510 Mouse | Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless Headset | 4 Monoprice Displays - 3x27"4k bottom, 27" 1440p top | Logitech Z-2300 Speakers |