Australian Steam users presented with ACCC notice

Rix_77

Hi all, this was linked by a friend to me on Facebook from PC Case Gear, looks like Steam lost their appeal to the ACCC and are now required to adhere to Australian Consumer Laws again.

I think what PC Case gear are saying is correct and could be potentially problematic for Steam & Valve so maybe they will restrict access to games with Australian IPs until they can be sure?

Rick

This post doesn't follow the posting guidelines, which in this case is more than a formality - I really have no context for what is happening, why, or what it means and for who.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Sombra said:

As someone who does not live in Australia and have no idea what ACCC is about, what does this mean?

Think of them as being the FTC, except for being pro consumer and having the balls to do their job.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This happened a few weeks ago, not sure why PCCG are posting about it now.

https://store.steampowered.com/consumer_rights_notice/

Over the last couple of days, Valve has begun displaying a "Australian Consumer Rights Notice" to Aussie Steam users. The notice contains a link to Justice Edelman's ruling against Valve, which found that the US-based company had violated Australian consumer law by "representing to Australian consumers via the Steam Subscriber Agreement and Steam Refund Policy that consumers had no entitlement to a refund in any circumstances".
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/04/steam-is-displaying-a-consumer-rights-notice-for-aussie-users/

TLDR; Few years ago when Valve/Steam didn't offer refunds on games it was in breach of Australian Consumer Law that guarantees the right to a Repair, Refund, or Replacement for faulty goods.

3 minutes ago, Sombra said:

As someone who does not live in Australia and have no idea what ACCC is about, what does this mean?

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
It's Australia's consumer watchdog, making sure companies adhere to good sales practices, techniques, warranties, etc.

Information on Australia's rights to Repair/Refund/Replace. Basically if a product has a major fault (one that had you known about you would have not purchased the item), then you have the right to choose to have it repaired, replaced, or refunded.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

oh, wow, so this is about the refund thing from years ago?  Didn't realize that was only now being settled xD

Good to know

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, wow, so this is about the refund thing from years ago?  Didn't realize that was only now being settled xD

Good to know

It's pretty old news, the judgement was from 2016 and Valve was going to appeal it or something and then gave up or was denied, which is why Valve only issued the notice to Australian steam users a few weeks ago. The actual infringements in the case are from 2011-2014 IIRC.

Overall the whole thing is rather a non-issue now since Valve had updated their policies to allow refunds since 2015(?).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

It's pretty old news, the judgement was from 2016 and Valve was going to appeal it or something and then gave up or was denied, which is why Valve only issued the notice to Australian steam users a few weeks ago. The actual infringements in the case are from 2011-2014 IIRC.

Overall the whole thing is rather a non-issue now since Valve had updated their policies to allow refunds since 2015(?).

They still won't refund games through normal refund process. I haven't tried creating steam tickets yet. 

Magical Pineapples

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

Information on Australia's rights to Repair/Refund/Replace. Basically if a product has a major fault (one that had you known about you would have not purchased the item), then you have the right to choose to have it repaired, replaced, or refunded.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

Just so people don't get confused, this is not the same right to repair as they are fighting for in the US,  It is a right to have the manunfacturer repair your goods if they are faulty or otherwise do not work as intended. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This post doesn't follow the posting guidelines, which in this case is more than a formality - I really have no context for what is happening, why, or what it means and for who.

Apologies Ryan, I did this on my crappy little 4.5 inch smartphone during my lunch break.

I did check the guidelines and thought I had it covered.