Microsoft doubles RAM quantity on $999 USD Surface Pro 2017

AlTech

Microsoft has doubled the RAM quantity found on their $999 USD Surface Pro (2017). This refreshed $999 USD 2017 Surface Pro model still features Kaby Lake CPUs but with 8GB RAM now instead of 4GB.

Microsoft appears to have lowered the retail price of the model with 4GB RAM to $799 USD however at the time that the original article was posted, the 4GB RAM model was sold out. This conflicts with the Core m3 model which launched with a MSRP of $799 USD.

The new Core i5 model, first spotted by Neowin, features 8GB of RAM and 128GB of storage for $999.

Of particular interest is that price point, which places this model at the same price of the previously available Core i5, 128GB model with 4GB of RAM. That original model is currently discounted to $799 (the same price as the Core m3 model), but it's listed as sold out. Microsoft could be positioning this new 8GB configuration as a replacement for the original 4GB option, but that's just speculation for now.

It's been almost a year since the 2017 Surface Pro was announced. Whilst I'm not expecting a 2018 Surface Pro next week, I definitely think the 2018 product could be launched later in May or June. Offering up 8GB RAM in the $999 USD Surface Pro 2017 may be an effort by Microsoft to make the product more compelling from a value perspective. This could be to help sell units as the 2017 product is getting a little long in the tooth. 

The LTE models of the 2017 product do seem fairly overpriced as a result of the introduction of this new model/configuration.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/new-999-surface-pro-configuration-now-available-microsoft

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Good move.  4 GB is still ok for basic tasks imo but has no place on anything but an extremely budget device.

Looks like they're still selling the 4 GB model for $800 though?  That's twice what is should be...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Good move.  4 GB is still ok for basic tasks imo but has no place on anything but an extremely budget device.

Looks like they're still selling the 4 GB model for $800 though?  That's twice what is should be...

It is still supposed to be an aspirational halo like product.

It's like the GTX 1080. Sure, you probably would really want one, but less than 30% of those interested would actually end up buying one. It's supposed to inspire OEMs to do better and give people an image of what a Windows Device can be.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft has doubled the RAM quantity found on their $999 USD Surface Pro (2017). This refreshed $999 USD 2017 Surface Pro model still features Kaby Lake CPUs but with 8GB RAM now instead of 4GB.

Microsoft appears to have lowered the retail price of the model with 4GB RAM to $799 USD however at the time that the original article was posted, the 4GB RAM model was sold out. This conflicts with the Core m3 model which launched with a MSRP of $799 USD.

.... 4gb ram? doubled to 8gb? an m3?

just get a 2016 huawei matebook, you get the design & same specs for 500$.....

Just now, The Viking said:

.... 4gb ram? doubled to 8gb? an m3?

No. the $999 USD i5 model with 128GB Storage got bumped from 4GB RAM to 8GB.

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It is still supposed to be an aspirational halo like product.

It's like the GTX 1080. Sure, you probably would really want one, but less than 30% of those interested would actually end up buying one. It's supposed to inspire OEMs to do better and give people an image of what a Windows Device can be.

Doesn't it have to be better than other things on the market to inspire OEMs?  Putting in low end hardware and then charging a lot for it doesn't push the market forward.

I agree it gives people an image of what a Windows device can be, but I'm sure Microsoft's intention was to be "wow, imagine if more things were like that", not "thank god there's other options" xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Doesn't it have to be better than other things on the market to inspire OEMs?  Putting in low end hardware and then charging a lot for it doesn't push the market forward.

The technical specifications are not meant to be amazing. The hardware itself is great but the specs are honestly quite insulting.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

No. the $999 USD i5 model with 128GB Storage got bumped from 4GB RAM to 8GB.

oh I see, it just poses issue with the m3 model. My bad, didn't read that properly.

Get a 2016 Matebook regardless, cheaper & kinda same specs. xD

ps. checked specs. Yeah matebook is the way to go. The hell microsoft, 

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's supposed to inspire OEMs to do better and give people an image of what a Windows Device can be.

well at least try to make something people can use without ripping them off?

Considering that the Surface brand is all about "the best Windows experience", 4GB should not even be an option today in my opinion.

Good move.

In an side topic: I would still love to see a panel behind the kick stand that you can unscrew and access the SSD inside. If your device fails, even under warranty, you have no data recovery options, if you didn't put your stuff on a cloud service.

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

the specs are honestly quite insulting.

Not when considering the digitizer and pen. That's a big part of the package when buying into Surface.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Considering that the Surface brand is all about "the best Windows experience", 4GB should not even be an option today in my opinion.

Good move. I would still love to see a panel behind the kick stand that you can unscrew and access the SSD inside. If your device fails, even under warranty, you have no data recovery options, if you didn't put your stuff on a cloud service.

This. x100. I know some people really argue this for upgradability - don't get me wrong; I'd love it if everything were easily upgradable too, but being an IT consultant I can't tell you how many times I have people come to me with their UberBook UltraThinLight MegaTiny DongleWidget 6000 product to see if data can be retrieved only to be told nope.jpg can't be done should have backed up. Now, there's something to be said about backing up, for sure, but at the end of the day there is absolutely no reason to glue together a product so tightly that retrieving the SSD is impossible, either for recovery reasons, or to simply re-use the SSD in another product. As far as I'm concerned, we should be mailing all of our old gadgets back to the front doorsteps of the companies that make them as they're the ones responsible for recycling the product since they've made it impossible to do so ourselves.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

58 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not when considering the digitizer and pen. That's a big part of the package when buying into Surface.

It's not just a big part, it's the main part of the package. The surface is a pretty shitty choice if you don't intend to heavily use the pen, and if you do then it's a great choice (where the only real competition is a 2018 iPad/iPad Pro, which is more limited in functionality but still with its own set of advantages, ultimately leaving the surface the best and only option under certain conditions).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That's the main part of the package.

Not the Surface Laptop. The main part of that package is momentary lapse of judgement.

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

where the only real competition is a 2018 iPad/iPad Pro

Viao Z Canvas

The old Wacom Cintiq Companions

The new Wacom MobileStudio Pros.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

47 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not the Surface Laptop. The main part of that package is momentary lapse of judgement.

Viao Z Canvas

The old Wacom Cintiq Companions

The new Wacom MobileStudio Pros.

Don't the Vaio Z and mobilestudios start out much higher? And isn't the companion not a standalone product?

(And all three look much heavier and bulkier). Still, I guess it works equally well for some.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Don't the Vaio Z and mobilestudios start out much higher? And isn't the companion not a standalone product?

Vaio Z and MobStudio start out at the price of the top model Surface, but both start with quad cores I believe.

The companion functioned both as a pen display and as a high end tablet.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Out of pure curiosity, would it be better to say "capacity" instead of "quantity"?

Wording aside, I still wouldn't buy one.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

4 GB is still ok for basic tasks imo but has no place on anything but an extremely budget device

Opening multiple PDF files inside a browser window regardless whether it's Chrome or not can easily chew on a paltry 4GB RAM. Somehow I'm starting to believe the notion of "there's no such thing as too much RAM". 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

Opening multiple PDF files inside a browser window regardless whether it's Chrome or not can easily chew on a paltry 4GB RAM. Somehow I'm starting to believe the notion of "there's no such thing as too much RAM". 

I have 32 GB in my main rig so you know that's how I think too :P But I've also got 4 GB in my 2 in 1 and it works just fine if you don't try to do to anything too crazy.

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I have 32 GB in my main rig so you know that's how I think too :P But I've also got 4 GB in my 2 in 1 and it works just fine if you don't try to do to anything too crazy.

I run Photoshop CC, Sketchbook, and Krita just fine with 4GB.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

4 GB is still ok for basic tasks imo but has no place on anything but an extremely budget device.

Yeah, even Apple knew 4GB was too small for a device that costs 1k. 

The ancient MacBook Air has had 8GB to start for a few years! 

Personally I don't need much more than 8GB of RAM. 12GB would be enough for me to be to never have to worry. 8GB is just right atm 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Yeah, even Apple knew 4GB was too small for a device that costs 1k. 

The ancient MacBook Air has had 8GB to start for a few years! 

And that is saying something coming from them.  They've often (or at least used to) lag by one factor of 2 behind what they should have had in the past.

So what's it now 4gb instead of 2gb? /s

$1000 for an i5 with 8GB memory? lulz

Ms is totally nuts

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

12 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

$1000 for an i5 with 8GB memory? lulz

Ms is totally nuts

And yet it's still a good price when you consider that the competition is a an iPad/iPad Pro if you can get away without a full desktop OS, or something that costs at least twice as much.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler