Discussion: besides "looks", currently pc gaming is the same as console

Gdourado

i like using my consoles as DVD and Bluray players. as there is a huge difference between todays gaming pc`s and today`s consoles. one of them have a Bluray reader and the other rarely if ever has one. most of them dont even have room for them. im picking up an xbox one x for the HDR in 5 years time when they are dirt cheap. 

Edit: also Dolby atmos, among the many features ill never get to use including HDR as im a cheapskate on displays

PC's offer far more value as general purpose machines, archival of old games is infinitely better than the near-nonexistent state of old console games (which are more of a collector's market), hardware backwards compatibility is nonexistent and sometimes very anti-consumer, game selection is worse, paid online services, hardware options and support, features getting patched out, long term server support, community support - you name it.

Consoles excel at being walled gardens and being media players though.

Yes, I agree with that point. 

I feel far more confident when buying digital games on PC. 

I know that games I buy will be available to download and play because a pc is a pc and with fast internet it is really convenient to use steam as your remote library and save on digital storage by only having installed the games you play.

On console not so much as the whole console generation makes this less practical. 

You can have digital games on your PSN account, but need a ps3 to play ps3 games and a Ps4 to play ps4 games. 

And the older the ps3 gets, can you be sure that Sony will continue to host all the games on their servers for you to download as you please to play further down in time? 

That is a big if in my book and a big point for pc I admit. 

Console don't use mice and keyboard,

bad graphics on console....

also,

its hard to code a aimbot for console lol xD (just a joke)

I just stopped in to say I didn't read past OPs post and HOLY SHIT is he wrong.  

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

51 minutes ago, Purgent said:

I just stopped in to say I didn't read past OPs post and HOLY SHIT is he wrong.  

Later in the topic the OP expressed concerns that games aren't taking advantage of higher performing hardware that PCs can provided because they're developed with consoles in mind.

While I won't argue that is or is not the case, I will argue that PC game developers wouldn't aim for the high-end anyway. That would alienate a lot of their potential customer pool and the game wouldn't really sell well if people know they likely won't be able to run it. Not to mention from a developers standpoint, does it really add any actual value to the game?

Games are what break and make consoles, not their hardwares. Even if the machine performs like a potatoes, as long as it isn’t atrocious enough to lag, consumers likely won’t care.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Games are what break and make consoles, not their hardwares. Even if the machine performs like a potatoes, as long as it isn’t atrocious enough to lag, consumers likely won’t care.

Yes, I also agree with that. 

That is why, in my opinion, games like uncharted 4 are masterpieces. 

It's not the sheer visuals and hardware power pushing the visuals, but it is a degree of polish, care and attention to detail that really sets it apart and it is in a level of story, voice acting, motion capture, detail in environment, small nuances that is rarely seen on games that are mulyiplatform. 

23 hours ago, Gdourado said:

Yes, I agree with that point. 

I feel far more confident when buying digital games on PC. 

I know that games I buy will be available to download and play because a pc is a pc and with fast internet it is really convenient to use steam as your remote library and save on digital storage by only having installed the games you play.

On console not so much as the whole console generation makes this less practical. 

You can have digital games on your PSN account, but need a ps3 to play ps3 games and a Ps4 to play ps4 games. 

And the older the ps3 gets, can you be sure that Sony will continue to host all the games on their servers for you to download as you please to play further down in time? 

That is a big if in my book and a big point for pc I admit. 

Yeah, Sony did it for awhile with the PS1->PS2->PS3 having 99% disc-based software backwards compatibility but then abandoned it because it cost too much to keep making PS2 chipsets and then they didn't want to stick a cell processor in the PS4. One reason why virtualization is so valuable - sure it's not as efficient as hardcoding for a specific chipset but hardware stops being made when it's no longer profitable so...

On 5/6/2018 at 6:21 AM, Gdourado said:

So today we have basically the same game, same game mechanics, same world, same game play that has more eye candy on pc and can scale the looks based on the hardware. 

But the game is the same. 

On far cry 5, on ps4 you are still doing the same running and gunning as on the pc, with the same enemies, behaving the same and all that. 

A lot of games are made for PC and ported to console. So in some cases yes the PC has a different game. Take CSGO for example, the console players never even got a beta. PC also has player-hosted servers and mods. As far as I can remember console doesn't have either of those things. So I think maybe this kinda proves you wrong? Idk let me know what you think about it. Heres a little article that explains what I'm trying to say, but way better. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/csgo-on-pc-to-be-different-beast-than-console-versions/

CPU I7 8700k Motherboard Asus Strix Z370E RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3000 GPU Gigabyte Windforce 1060 6gb OC Edition Case Fractal Design Meshify C Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PSU Corsair RM650x  Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition 

Isn't that kind of the point? PC gaming for better framerates, resolutions and graphics settings? 

I just also like it for the flexibility and compatibility 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 2018-05-18 at 3:15 AM, Coaxialgamer said:

Isn't that kind of the point? PC gaming for better framerates, resolutions and graphics settings? 

I just also like it for the flexibility and compatibility 

10 years ago, PCs absolutely sucked. Hardware was evolving so rapidly that your decent gaming PC was a flaming potato 2 years later. And games were a nightmare to install without clients like Steam. You had to hunt down drivers and patches just to make your game playable. I remember buying several games and never having the chance to play them because I didn’t want to troubleshoot the installation. 

If anythting, PCs copied consoles for the better. 

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

10 years ago, PCs absolutely sucked. Hardware was evolving so rapidly that your decent gaming PC was a flaming potato 2 years later. And games were a nightmare to install without clients like Steam. You had to hunt down drivers and patches just to make your game playable. I remember buying several games and never having the chance to play them because I didn’t want to troubleshoot the installation. 

That was 10 years ago through , plus a main contributor to that growth was the newfound power of the consoles at the time

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

On 5/19/2018 at 11:23 PM, kokakolia said:

Second to that. PC gaming used to be really messy fun, getting the right hardware only was already a huge thing (Sound Blaster, AdLib or maybe go with the Roland? 3Dfx, ATi or Nvidia?) and everything had their positives and negatives and some games supported one but not others and others tried to support as much as possible but not everything. Go a bit further and you get the problems of too fast CPUs and older games starting to run too fast because gameplay was bound to CPU cycles. That is when the consoles got their popularity, because you just inserted the game cartridge or disc and started to play.

Now that PC gaming has become more or less like consoles while consoles have become more like PCs, the cap between the sides is smaller than ever. I don't really understand people who say PC gaming is a hassle compared to console gaming with OS and driver updates and game updates, because today consoles have them also. Maybe they mean that PC doesn't force those updates down your throat like consoles do and force you to update before starting to probably taking away that 10 minutes out of your limited free time you had to play a game?

Not to mention that PC are still as open as they have always been but just more standardized than earlier allowing a lot wider spectrum of accessories and games to be played. On consoles you are still more or less bound to the controllers the console manufacturer sells you and games that you can buy from stores or the console manufacturers service, yeah, some may say that takes out the hassle because you know where you buy and what you buy, but then PC has Steam which is like the Xbox Marketplace and PS Store on steroids, and it doesn't even lock you out of every other choice you can make.

Costs are costs. Good gaming PC costs at least double that what console, but then comes the cost effectiveness. You buy PS4 Pro today at what it is and in next year or 2 Sony releases PS5 and your PS4 Pro just became nothing, you have no way to play PS5 games on PS4 Pro, even with lowered graphics and poorer performance, if the developer doesn't release PS4 version. If you want to play every game that comes out, you need to have the "newest and the best" console there is. On PC in other hand you can lower the settings and still (depends on you) enjoy the newest games even with older hardware that isn't the best you could have bought, you are not running "120 fps all maxed" but you still can play the game (fluctuating 30 fps with lowest settings is still playing, even if your eyes were bleeding).

On 16/05/2018 at 9:16 AM, Gdourado said:

Nobody needs videogames. 

As nobody needs anything hobby related. 

Hobbies are just that. 

And are far from human needs. 

Also, we as humans, besides needs we also have wants. :)

Just have to point out that is 100% false.

'Recreation is an activity of leisure, leisure being discretionary time.[1] The "need to do something for recreation" is an essential element of human biology and psychology.[2] Recreational activities are often done for enjoyment, amusement, or pleasure and are considered to be "fun".'

Recreation, which hobbies are a form of are vital for healthy human functioning.

Linus is my fetish.

On 17/05/2018 at 5:16 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

Later in the topic the OP expressed concerns that games aren't taking advantage of higher performing hardware that PCs can provided because they're developed with consoles in mind.

While I won't argue that is or is not the case, I will argue that PC game developers wouldn't aim for the high-end anyway. That would alienate a lot of their potential customer pool and the game wouldn't really sell well if people know they likely won't be able to run it. Not to mention from a developers standpoint, does it really add any actual value to the game?

Witcher 3 aimed for the high end and did very well, and I do think the graphics and cinematics add huge value to the gameplay.

Linus is my fetish.

While I see OP's point and partially agree, here are some differences :

1. Modding Like said before
  2. More mature VR (HTC Vive being my personaly favorite)
  3. Broader choice of peripherals - with the option to choose Gamepad or Mouse & keyboard

Exclusive titles for PC are indeed a thing.

Not necessarily AAA BLOCKBUSTER NEXT GEN OMG WOW MUCH GRAPHICS games but a short rundown:

Team Fortress 2 (Release on previous gen consoles, flopped)

Counter Strike : Global Offensive (Release on previous gen consoles, flopped)

League Of Legends

The Sims 2-4 (Does have console counterparts but if you are a hardcore simmer like myself they are nothing like the PC games)

Company Of Heroes 2

Sid Meier's Civ 5

SimCity 4

besides that we have backwards compatibility.

2 weeks ago I wanted to replay that awesome FPS F.E.A.R.

Well I installed it through Steam, adjusted 1 setting that caused major errors (Frame sync has to be on) and off I go.

Same for GTA III, although that game has minor problems to make it run a simple google search reveals an elaborate and in depth guide on how to do so in no more then 5 minutes.

That is why I still game on PC even though I own a PlayStation 2-3-4.

Don't get me wrong, consoles can be awesome when you want no hassle or fuss.

And that is when I use mine, when all I want to do is game on!

In the end yes consoles are moving closer to becoming PC's with a special OS on it (Apple-esk if you will).

Problematic? No.. but indeed begs the question why they exist for some.

That is what I think and what I think only, feel free to disagree and be disgusted after reading this.

Point out my flaws and tell me what is wrong, but do it in a manner that doesn't pressure .. just tell me lol

erm .. hehe yea this is true lol

26 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Am I the only one who realizes that this thread will probably go on forever if it isn't locked?

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

Big AAA games are always going to be made for consoles first, because that's the market where they can't be pirated. Piracy kills huge budget PC exclusives, it's just the way it is. 

That being said, PCs are a general purpose machine. I use mine for work, gaming, internet surfing, movie and TV show watching, video rendering, and whatever else has struck my fancy over the years (3D design, music making, photoshop, etc.). This alone makes them better bang for buck than consoles.

Also, PCs are more expensive to build, but the huge amount of steam, gog, humblebundle, etc. sales (as well as other, less savory methods to acquire all sorts of digital entertainment) + the lack of crap like Xbox live subscriptions, means you're actually spending less $$$ over the years. 

Finally, PCs have their own exclusive genres such as CRPGs, MOBAs, RTS, grand strategy, and so on, that simply have to be played with a keyboard + mouse. I would frickin hate to play on a platform that doesn't support these genres, or forces controller for FPS games. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

9 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

Big AAA games are always going to be made for consoles first, because that's the market where they can't be pirated. Piracy kills huge budget PC exclusives, it's just the way it is.

Not really. Big AAA titles are made first for consoles because that way there's less optimization needed. If something like Far Cry 5 was made for PC and made looking as good as it can on PC Ubisoft would have needed to tone down and made a ton of optimization to get the game to look near that good on consoles. PCs can easily handle code optimized for consoles without the code needing huge rework, it may not run on same performance levels (if you make a PC as close as you can to have hardware that consols have, you are far away from having same performance because of optimization) but the better hardware on PCs makes up for the difference. So, if you already have console game, porting it to PC isn't that huge of a thing, but if you have PC game, porting it to consoles is actually huge project.

On 2018-05-24 at 10:26 PM, Giganthrax said:

That being said, PCs are a general purpose machine. I use mine for work, gaming, internet surfing, movie and TV show watching, video rendering, and whatever else has struck my fancy over the years (3D design, music making, photoshop, etc.). This alone makes them better bang for buck than consoles.

Also, PCs are more expensive to build, but the huge amount of steam, gog, humblebundle, etc. sales (as well as other, less savory methods to acquire all sorts of digital entertainment) + the lack of crap like Xbox live subscriptions, means you're actually spending less $$$ over the years. 

Finally, PCs have their own exclusive genres such as CRPGs, MOBAs, RTS, grand strategy, and so on, that simply have to be played with a keyboard + mouse. I would frickin hate to play on a platform that doesn't support these genres, or forces controller for FPS games. 

I just hate how I spent over $1000 to build a gaming PC with a GTX1060, and I am not really gaming on it that much. And the games I play are so light anyways. I was blindly following tech channels on YouTube that always benchmarked on the highest setting at high resolutions. So anything below a GTX1060 with a Core i5 seemed “unplayable” to me. 

IMO, PC gaming sucks because PCs are way too complicated for the sake of up-selling more expensive parts to the consumer. And that rubs me off the wrong way. If I could rewind I would just buy a refurb office computer with a core i5 2400 and just add a GTX 1050ti. I would have spent less than half without noticing a difference. I just want to say that buying a computer sucks and it’s intentionally confusing to gauge the consumer. Consoles are just more approachable.

1 hour ago, kokakolia said:

I just hate how I spent over $1000 to build a gaming PC with a GTX1060, and I am not really gaming on it that much. And the games I play are so light anyways. I was blindly following tech channels on YouTube that always benchmarked on the highest setting at high resolutions. So anything below a GTX1060 with a Core i5 seemed “unplayable” to me. 

IMO, PC gaming sucks because PCs are way too complicated for the sake of up-selling more expensive parts to the consumer. And that rubs me off the wrong way. If I could rewind I would just buy a refurb office computer with a core i5 2400 and just add a GTX 1050ti. I would have spent less than half without noticing a difference. I just want to say that buying a computer sucks and it’s intentionally confusing to gauge the consumer. Consoles are just more approachable.

Then build/buy a cheaper PC that is suited for light gaming in the first place then? Why are you going to that extent in the first place to play light games?

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

1 hour ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Then build/buy a cheaper PC that is suited for light gaming in the first place then? Why are you going to that extent in the first place to play light games?

Yeah, it’s so easy to blame the buyer for buying the wrong thing!  

I was watching hours upon hours of PC building videos. These videos almost never cover low end components, it’s like they don’t even exist. Now it’s a little bit different since the GPU crisis. But when prices settle down you’ll see mostly GTX 1070s in every build, with the occasional “budget” option being the GTX 1060 3GB. Further, I thought I would play AAA games but I ended up playing Hearthstone and League of Legends almost exclusively. I didn’t foresee that. I might also play Overwatch and Fortnite if I have the time. But these games aren’t power hungry either. This is why I think that buying a PC is kind of like buying a car. You go to the dealership to buy a basic car to get from A to B and then you end up with a luxury SUV. How did that happen? 

It also implies that PC gaming is more expensive than it actually is, with this PC master race GTX 1070 or bust mentality. This mentality definitely influences the potential PC buyer.

On 5/26/2018 at 1:31 PM, kokakolia said:

Yeah, it’s so easy to blame the buyer for buying the wrong thing!  

I was watching hours upon hours of PC building videos. These videos almost never cover low end components, it’s like they don’t even exist. Now it’s a little bit different since the GPU crisis. But when prices settle down you’ll see mostly GTX 1070s in every build, with the occasional “budget” option being the GTX 1060 3GB. Further, I thought I would play AAA games but I ended up playing Hearthstone and League of Legends almost exclusively. I didn’t foresee that. I might also play Overwatch and Fortnite if I have the time. But these games aren’t power hungry either. This is why I think that buying a PC is kind of like buying a car. You go to the dealership to buy a basic car to get from A to B and then you end up with a luxury SUV. How did that happen? 

It also implies that PC gaming is more expensive than it actually is, with this PC master race GTX 1070 or bust mentality. This mentality definitely influences the potential PC buyer.

Oh now it makes sense

I thought you were planning to play ONLY light games and ended up buying/building a 1000$ PC. Didn't realize that you WERE planning to play high-end games hence why you built the system but didn't in the end. Thanks for clearing up the confusion!

Like the car analogy btw. You sometimes overspend on things you think you may need. Then you look into the future & realize that you don't and wasted tons of money.

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you