Discussion: besides "looks", currently pc gaming is the same as console

Gdourado

I think what I am trying to say about the industry can also be said about for example the farcry games. 

From 3, 4, primal and 5, they are practically identical. 

3 was developed for Xbox 360 and ps3, 4 and primal where crossgen and 5 is current gen, but if you look at them, from their evolution, the world's are practically the same. 

From each iteration they have better looks and can use graphics hardware to create better visuals, but the virtual worlds where the games happen are practically the same. 

Same as far cry 5 on pc ultra settings can look better because it uses the graphics hardware of the pc, but the world and game play are the same because the game does not use the computational power of the pc and is built from the ground up with the underpowered jaguar cores in mind. 

5 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

I think what I am trying to say about the industry can also be said about for example the farcry games. 

From 3, 4, primal and 5, they are practically identical. 

3 was developed for Xbox 360 and ps3, 4 and primal where crossgen and 5 is current gen, but if you look at them, from their evolution, the world's are practically the same. 

From each iteration they have better looks and can use graphics hardware to create better visuals, but the virtual worlds where the games happen are practically the same. 

Same as far cry 5 on pc ultra settings can look better because it uses the graphics hardware of the pc, but the world and game play are the same because the game does not use the computational power of the pc and is built from the ground up with the underpowered jaguar cores in mind. 

Not really. Far Cry 5 runs better using a Intel CPU than a Ryzen, FC5 is actually pretty CPU intensive. I use Far Cry 5's benchmark to test CPU and GPU load temps for that reason. 

The issue is what's changed in Far Cry 5 over previous installments isn't what people are looking for. Digital Foundry did a great analysis. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 hours ago, Gdourado said:

The only thing that extra computational power would help with is to populate the world more densely, but that doesn't really make the game any better from an entertainment value. Would you like to really take on an army of 30 people in an area smaller than a tennis court? Would you really like GTA V to simulate LA in all it's bumper to bumper traffic glory? (I mean, I guess that would be fun if you have a tank or something)

A lot of decisions made in games from a mechanics standpoint are whether or not they expect the player to enjoy them or not. If they don't think it'll add to the entertainment value, it's dropped or tweaked. Allegedly the Radiant AI in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was toned down because it'd create an environment that wouldn't be enjoyable to the player (or they'd kill each other for mundane things). And supposedly the AI in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was good enough to beat the game by itself, which of course they toned down because what fun is that?

I mean heck, look at this showcase from Half-Life 2

And also, there wasn't really a limitation in computing power to get a lot of AI agents in a game. The original Unreal Tournament had support for up to 32 bots. I believe Battlefield 1942 could support a full 64 player match with bots to fill in the gaps. Of course, these bots aren't as sophisticated as today's AI, but they didn't really have to be.

In any case, if you want computational power to improve game mechanics, you have to ask yourself if it's going to add to the entertainment value to the game or not.

So much has changed in the console side, just in the last year. 

It used to be PC had an advantage for playing older games at a higher resolution, now console has that.

It used to be only PC had options for resolutions and performance settings, now console has that. So console users can now tailor their experience as well.

I used to be that only PC had options as to how much money to spend on their hardware, now we have the base consoles and premium consoles like the PS4 Pro and One X.

Used be consoles required special peripherals and had no keyboard and mouse support. Now you can use any headset and even use a keyboard and mouse with a console.

I think the issue is a lot of people who don't play on console, have missed these changes. Which are a good thing for any side of gaming as a hobby.

The area PC and console overlap has gotten much larger, when just looking at gaming it's really hard to call a difference. Which is a double edged sword as they're so close yet neither is "better." Causes in fighting, and I call it infighting as both console and PC gamers, are gamers. Personally I'd like to see more games like FFXV where the developer takes their time with the port to PC in order to make use of the available hardware on PC. Think what FC5 could have been is Ubisoft took a year after the console release to improve the game for PC. I think that's a fair deal. Console gets the game first, PC gets a proper port.

On 5/10/2018 at 3:59 PM, App4that said:

PC exclusives aren't ignored. They're just not on the same level as current console exclusives. 

HDR matters. It's a technology that PC is way behind console on.

Your "on the same level" comment is too hard to quantify. That's the essence of what I've been trying to tell you this entire time. Not to mention that you're trying to compare three brands of consoles and their mountains of games to an ocean of computer games. It's not clearly quantifiable, and therefore impossible to entrench your opinion as fact. When you can show me statistics for play rates for platform exclusive games for the four current platforms (or even current platforms over time), then of course I will agree with you: then it will be true.

But I would say games (depending on when they were popular) like League of Legends, Dota 2, Runescape, World of Warcraft, CS:GO, TF2, and others are a reason to play on computer just as much as Breath of the Wild is to play on a Nintendo Switch: and that game was the only reason that console survived (that and Skyrim). That was my original point. Quality is subjective. Consoles might always (or tend to) have more production value, but you haven't shown it. Even if they did, PC has huge games like consoles do, too. They're different, but that's expected, just like a Wii game would've been different from an XBox 360 game. Can the 360 play better "quality" games than Wii? Obviously, if you term that as graphical fidelity (or even if you wanted to term it as production value for a particular game). But how many times would you rather have a party playing Brawl on Wii over [insert popular 360 multiplayer game here] on 360? Now, this is an opinion as well, but it's apparently Nintendo's fastest selling game ever, according their press release. <referral link removed> That says something about objective draw despite quality differences, which cements the prevalence of opinion in popularity over whatever you mean by "the same level," anyway.

I never said HDR doesn't matter, I just said I don't care about it. You brought it up in asserting that consoles have better quality display than PC as far as games are concerned, which I also wasn't arguing. But I understand HDR makes a difference. There was a video of Linus a year and a half ago showing that clearly. Of course, I'm not expert on the tech, but in that same video, Linus thinks HDR movies are hardly worth it: https://youtu.be/mtzEKmiqU7A?t=9m13s

Ultimately, I'd say it matters about as much as a high-end amplifier (like $300+) for your headphones: I know it's nice, but among the people that even know what it is (let alone why they'd want it), a small percentage of those people will go to such lengths for the marginal benefit it provides. I know that PC is behind on it, but by and large, it's a fringe technology for cinematography enthusiasts only. Right now. Obviously these things change. But by the time it becomes accessible and mainstream, it will already be on PC in a similar force, I imagine. So I'm not going to limit my versatility for the sake of barely noticeable features that require special hardware. I will when I have money to wipe my butt with, but until then, I'm sticking with normal stuff.

@redsquirrel0249

Look at the games that received awards in the last 3 years, how many are console exclusives verses PC exclusives. 

Linus based his opinion of HDR on a limited sample size, he does that a lot. Dymitry even fighting with HDR on Windows acknowledged HDR. You should be pushing Microsoft towards supporting HDR as well on PC, as Sony does with their console. Not trying to undermine it.

Console serves a wider audience, it's also broken down into partitions formed by manufacturers of the hardware. Nobody partitions AMD and Nvidia users but themselves. Two totally different markets, PC and console.

What saddens me is how it's a similarity between both populations, PC and console, to worry more about defending a purchase so not allowing themselves ownership of both. The different brands of consoles complement each other, console and PC complement each other. By not getting sucked into platform loyalty, you gain all the strengths of all the platforms, and suffer none of the weaknesses.

Higher framerate, better customization, more settings in-game, MODS, Game Sales, Free online, piracy, emulators, etc, etc

Core I5 8600k @5GHz | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 1070 | 2x8 GB DDR4 2666MHz | Fractal Design Define C TG | Fractal Design Celcius S24 | Crucial MX300 525GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM HDD | MSI Krait Gaming z370

4 minutes ago, Aiedail said:

Higher framerate, better customization, more settings in-game, MODS, Game Sales, Free online, piracy, emulators, etc, etc

basically "looks" :D

In the end, PC gaming is way cheaper. A game that would cost me $60 on console can be bought for $10 on Steam during a sale. I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider with all DLC shortly after it was released for $8. I bought Tomb Raider GOTY two years after it came out for $4.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, App4that said:

Look at the games that received awards in the last 3 years

I don't think I could've asked you to say something more vague.

based...on a limited sample size

And yours is based on...?

You should be pushing Microsoft towards supporting HDR as well on PC, as Sony does with their console. Not trying to undermine it.

Cool it, brochacho, it's just my opinion. I literally have taken zero action about it. It's not like a political coup, it's not black or white, for or against something. Life is more detailed than that. I'll support it when it's worthwhile in my opinion, and I won't when it isn't.

Console serves a wider audience, it's also broken down into partitions formed by manufacturers of the hardware. Nobody partitions AMD and Nvidia users but themselves. Two totally different markets, PC and console.

This is a trifecta of confusion. Consoles serving a wider audience seems to support my point about HDR not being of importance to mainstream consumers. "Hardware partitions" isn't specific enough to make sense (honestly don't know what you mean), nor does it seem to be true, given that consoles can utilize hardware manufactured by AMD/Nvidia anyway. PC and console markets have similarities and differences, depending on whether you're focusing on gaming, streaming, peripherals, etc.

defending a purchase

I've never mentioned once my personal purchases in this conversation. And if you think that, by making a point about PC, I'm being bias or a fanboy, you couldn't be more ignorant of the context of this argument. I mean, you could at least address your supposition instead of resorting to ad hominem or labeling. I've never tried to put down markets that I don't currently participate in or dislike by virtue of my lack of participation or dislike, nor vice versa.

By not getting sucked into platform loyalty

You mean spending over $2500 on gaming equipment by buying all of them? Because, according to your logic, that seems to be the only way to "not get sucked into platform loyalty." I've owned and/or played on every platform we've mentioned except the Switch (also never used a Wii U or an original XBox for that matter), so I don't know why you think I'm playing a loyalist card to any faction. I owned nothing but a PS2 and a GameBoy Advance for the longest time as a child, so if anything, I at least have a Sony-Nintendo loyalty (despite not buying a PS4, Nintendo DS, Wii, or Switch). I've also spent time with a PS3 and a crappy office computer playing OG Halo and TF2. Obviously, no one is purely objective all the time, but I definitely do my part to try and put facts first in this sort of context.

I think they serve a different purpose and even tho i think pc are much more than just a gaming station and there is almost everything to make a pc behave as a console. I would never think they are meant with the same idea in mind. Try to game with friends in a mario kart like game on a pc... or try to play an RTS game on a console or a good FPS (no there is nothing to compare to a pc in this even if you plug a mouse and a kb to a console). They simply serve different (tho they collide) purposes

34 minutes ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I don't think I could've asked you to say something more vague. 1

And yours is based on...? 2

Cool it, brochacho, it's just my opinion. I literally have taken zero action about it. It's not like a political coup, it's not black or white, for or against something. Life is more detailed than that. I'll support it when it's worthwhile in my opinion, and I won't when it isn't. 3

This is a trifecta of confusion. Consoles serving a wider audience seems to support my point about HDR not being of importance to mainstream consumers. "Hardware partitions" isn't specific enough to make sense (honestly don't know what you mean), nor does it seem to be true, given that consoles can utilize hardware manufactured by AMD/Nvidia anyway. PC and console markets have similarities and differences, depending on whether you're focusing on gaming, streaming, peripherals, etc. 4

I've never mentioned once my personal purchases in this conversation. And if you think that, by making a point about PC, I'm being bias or a fanboy, you couldn't be more ignorant of the context of this argument. I mean, you could at least address your supposition instead of resorting to ad hominem or labeling. I've never tried to put down markets that I don't currently participate in or dislike by virtue of my lack of participation or dislike, nor vice versa. 5

You mean spending over $2500 on gaming equipment by buying all of them? Because, according to your logic, that seems to be the only way to "not get sucked into platform loyalty." I've owned and/or played on every platform we've mentioned except the Switch (also never used a Wii U or an original XBox for that matter), so I don't know why you think I'm playing a loyalist card to any faction. I owned nothing but a PS2 and a GameBoy Advance for the longest time as a child, so if anything, I at least have a Sony-Nintendo loyalty (despite not buying a PS4, Nintendo DS, Wii, or Switch). I've also spent time with a PS3 and a crappy office computer playing OG Halo and TF2. Obviously, no one is purely objective all the time, but I definitely do my part to try and put facts first in this sort of context. 6

1) Look at any yearly awards for games. Here, I'll pick the first one off a google search. 

https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/game-of-the-year-2017-top-10-list/2900-1692/

Console exclusives, 5. 

PC exclusives, 1.

2) movies, games, television, across multiple displays. 

3) Microsoft has taken no action to bring HDR to PC, in fact you could make the argument they've worked against bringing HDR to PC. why?

4)Consoles offering HDR support to more people than PC, makes consoles not mainstream? 

Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo all make separate hardware that does not allow (outside a few cases) cross play, this fragments the market. The software         exlusives finish the job of partitioning gamers.

5) Not an ad hominem, it's an observation. Someone buys a BMW, they tend to over express the fine points and minumize the low points. It's natural. The more money that is spent, the more the person pushes. There's also the bit of people in this topic saying consoles are for the "lowest common denominator", whoch is classist at best. So.

6)It's all about priorities. I spent 580 on a 1080, for a PC I'll only use for running VR. My Xbox One X cost 80 bucks less. 2500 bucks to be able to play any game launched? I pay that 3 times over and not blink. People spend WAY more on cloths, jewlery, cars, partying. I see that BMW as a waste as it's not needed to get from point a to point b, others see my hobby as a waste. All perspective.

Which brings us back to the point of PC and consoles being the same damn thing. I want to play Mechwarrior 5, Red Dead Redemption 2, Yakuza 7, the next Metroid. My exitement isn't hung up on platform, it's on games. 

18 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

In the end, PC gaming is way cheaper. A game that would cost me $60 on console can be bought for $10 on Steam during a sale. I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider with all DLC shortly after it was released for $8. I bought Tomb Raider GOTY two years after it came out for $4.

Yes, that is right that games on pc can be cheaper. 

But that also poses a problem. 

I myself am victim of such problem as well as most people I know that game on pc. 

Since games can be so cheap, you end up browsing reddit game deals daily, always spend 8 to 15 euros on humble bundles and such...

At the end, you have a steam account full of older games or indie games you never intended to play in the first place and ended up spending more than you would or wanted to. 

Let's face it, we all have limited time, especially if we are adults. 

I have to take care of my house, I have to work my job, I have a wife and son. I cannot play all games out there. 

With a console, I am more selective and only buy games I really play. 

For example, I spend 30 euros on horizon zero dawn complete edition. 

And I am on my second playtrough, more than 60 hours play time and still want to play more. 

30 euros can be expensive compared to pc game prices, but I spend way more on pc games I never played and they just clutter my steam library for nothing. 

13 hours ago, Gdourado said:

I myself am victim of such problem as well as most people I know that game on pc. 

Since games can be so cheap, you end up browsing reddit game deals daily, always spend 8 to 15 euros on humble bundles and such...

At the end, you have a steam account full of older games or indie games you never intended to play in the first place and ended up spending more than you would or wanted to. 

I have to take care of my house, I have to work my job, I have a wife and son. I cannot play all games out there. 

And I am on my second playtrough, more than 60 hours play time and still want to play more. 

30 euros can be expensive compared to pc game prices, but I spend way more on pc games I never played and they just clutter my steam library for nothing. 

I've played almost every game I've purchased.  It's about self-control. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

23 hours ago, App4that said:

any yearly awards

That's my point... what are you proving?

2) movies, games, television, across multiple displays.

This is more vague than Linus' opinion basis, and diversity isn't what would give your opinion weight, it's sheer quantity.

Microsoft... why?

I don't know, I don't care. Already said this. Stop trying to drag me into your qualm with Microsoft.

4)Consoles offering HDR support to more people than PC, makes consoles not mainstream? 

On 5/14/2018 at 7:59 PM, redsquirrel0249 said:

Consoles [serve] a wider audience

Obviously not. My point was that putting a high-end tech on a generally casually used machine like a console causes HDR to fall to people who aren't using it. I imagine most console owners don't also have a real HDR TV, too. At least until it grows in popularity.

an ad hominem, it's an observation

Ad hominem is observation. It's just irrelevant observation.

over express the fine points and minumize the low points

This is a mismatch, but whatever. You still haven't shown I'm doing what you say I'm doing...

consoles are for the "lowest common denominator"

This isn't false. I mean, by definition you could say it's wrong, because consoles aren't only for those who want a cheap, easy, or simple option, but also people like you that enjoy HDR, people that value seamless connectivity, and other benefits. It's a bit of a generalization, but it's pretty founded in fact that more people will buy something if it's cheaper. That's why consoles are more common than gaming PCs. That's why people say this. The people that are poor and do want the simplest and easiest option go for consoles. Now, the term might be somewhat derogatory if you're a social justice warrior, but the console peasant stuff is just a dumb joke, really. It's not meant to be taken seriously, because console and PC are both realistic and meaningful options depending on what you value. And the people that are serious about their console peasant comments just have purchase pride like you mentioned.

The point is, I'm not minimizing the lack in the PC field. I acknowledge it. HDR isn't as seamless on computer as it is on console. The thing is, I have an opinion that it doesn't matter. So you can get over it with a thirteen-foot pole vault.

The more money that is spent, the more the person pushes

You pushed me lol

It's all about priorities...All perspective.

That's been my point, and I agree with you. You just thought I was defending a platform when I wasn't, and you made a generalization that made it seem like any explanation of a purchase is only a bad reason to not own more than one option:

On 5/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, App4that said:

What saddens me is how it's a similarity between both populations, PC and console, to worry more about defending a purchase so not allowing themselves ownership of both. The different brands of consoles complement each other, console and PC complement each other. By not getting sucked into platform loyalty, you gain all the strengths of all the platforms, and suffer none of the weaknesses.

And while priorities are perspective, I would argue that waste is still waste. Though, that has moral boundaries, which I'm not going to try to hold anyone on the internet to.

On 5/14/2018 at 8:30 PM, App4that said:

PC and consoles being the same damn thing

I've agreed with that... I just brought up notable PC exclusives that were left out, and you nitpicked me.

one point i rarely see: PCs are PCs. You can use the internet, etc. on them.

One more thing: 2 years from now you can just insert a new graphics card rather than buy a new console

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

3 hours ago, Shreyas1 said:

one point i rarely see: PCs are PCs. You can use the internet, etc. on them.

One more thing: 2 years from now you can just insert a new graphics card rather than buy a new console

To each their own. 

Same way as I don't find comfort in gaming at a desk with a monitor, office chair and keyboard and mouse as that puts my mindset on a work and obligation environment as opposed to the big TV and recliner that feels like hobby and relaxation time, 

So do I find way more comfortable and enjoyable to consume internet content, especially text on a tablet on a nice book reading position rather than the computer. 

For multimédia content, once again the.tv and couch. 

Also, as this is going, in 2 years, a mid range card like a nvidia 70 series will have a msrp way higher than a whole console. 

13 hours ago, Gdourado said:

so are you saying you prefer products to be more expensive because you lack the basic self control not to throw your money on things you don't want.

And btw PS4 has some pretty good sales, i mean really cheap from time to time, so this makes no sense.

The problem that i have with consoles these days is that they look too much like pc's...

I still play on my PS2 with friends, we have a lot of fun doing it and we can play together, what more do you need? The games look not that great, usually they are just silly and absolute crap (we played action girlz racing(0,8/10 IGN, no joke) and barbie games the last time, not exactly manly but it was fun and that's what matters, they all had local multiplayer support btw).

These days, local multiplayer, basically gone. It was never great on PC but it was great on console, but these days it's basically the same...

Updates? Never heard of those! Pop in a game and off you go! Console doesn't need updates, games don't need updates, installing isn't needed because it's all on the disk. Just turn it on and enjoy. Even the damn 3DS gets updates these days...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

The problem that i have with consoles these days is that they look too much like pc's...

I still play on my PS2 with friends, we have a lot of fun doing it and we can play together, what more do you need? The games look not that great, usually they are just silly and absolute crap (we played action girlz racing(0,8/10 IGN, no joke) and barbie games the last time, not exactly manly but it was fun and that's what matters, they all had local multiplayer support btw).

These days, local multiplayer, basically gone. It was never great on PC but it was great on console, but these days it's basically the same...

Updates? Never heard of those! Pop in a game and off you go! Console doesn't need updates, games don't need updates, installing isn't needed because it's all on the disk. Just turn it on and enjoy. Even the damn 3DS gets updates these days...

I had 2 n64s, and a supernintendo hooked up on my birthday. Was purty cool.

26 minutes ago, asus killer said:

so are you saying you prefer products to be more expensive because you lack the basic self control not to throw your money on things you don't want.

And btw PS4 has some pretty good sales, i mean really cheap from time to time, so this makes no sense.

Yes, the ps store now has frequent sales throughout the year, even the Portuguese store here, so I agree. 

Also, the other point is kind of human nature I guess. 

We just can't resist a huge great deal! 

Most of the time is like... 

I heard of this game, and is so cheap today on this deal. 

I'll just buy it and then try it when I finish what I am currently playing... 

But then the we have limited time comes along and most of the games bought like that end up on the eternal backlog. 

But the cost adds up in the end... 

2 minutes ago, Kamjam21xx said:

I had 2 n64s, and a supernintendo hooked up on my birthday. Was purty cool.

Due to, situations i'll say, there's now a NES in my house, holy crap what a fantastic thing.

Graphics are poop but there's just something about it. Most games feel like easy to learn hard to master which is acutally really nice somtimes. Still need to buy a racing game for it tho, no idea which one but i'll probably find one eventually :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Yes, the ps store now has frequent sales throughout the year, even the Portuguese store here, so I agree. 

Also, the other point is kind of human nature I guess. 

We just can't resist a huge great deal! 

Most of the time is like... 

I heard of this game, and is so cheap today on this deal. 

I'll just buy it and then try it when I finish what I am currently playing... 

But then the we have limited time comes along and most of the games bought like that end up on the eternal backlog. 

But the cost adds up in the end... 

if you're buying things you don't need, they aren't cheap, they are the most expensive things you can buy. But i know portuguese people are very bad with there money. Lessons never learned i guess

36 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if you're buying things you don't need, they aren't cheap, they are the most expensive things you can buy. But i know portuguese people are very bad with there money. Lessons never learned i guess

Nobody needs videogames. 

As nobody needs anything hobby related. 

Hobbies are just that. 

And are far from human needs. 

Also, we as humans, besides needs we also have wants. :)

35 minutes ago, Gdourado said:

Nobody needs videogames. 

As nobody needs anything hobby related. 

Hobbies are just that. 

And are far from human needs. 

Also, we as humans, besides needs we also have wants. :)

Fair enough. Still i wasn't giving that meaning when i said "needs". You can totally need a game to escape your daily problems. But i get your point.

Buy only the games you have use for i guess if it sounds better. Sales are also a marketing tool to make you spend more money than you wanted to and in things you otherwise woudn't do it