Discussion: besides "looks", currently pc gaming is the same as console

Gdourado
On 5/27/2018 at 12:03 AM, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Oh now it makes sense

I thought you were planning to play ONLY light games and ended up buying/building a 1000$ PC. Didn't realize that you WERE planning to play high-end games hence why you built the system but didn't in the end. Thanks for clearing up the confusion!

Like the car analogy btw. You sometimes overspend on things you think you may need. Then you look into the future & realize that you don't and wasted tons of money.

Yes! The car analogy is so perfect because many people buy trucks and SUVs when then don’t need the off-road capabilities.

That's the thing 

It's easy to get suckered into building a high end gaming PC only to realize that you either won't play on it much or only play light games. 

It's why I settled with a GTX 1060 notebook because I felt that going up to a 1070 had significant diminishing returns for the premium I had to cough up

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 words need only to put feet on the ground of console peasants : high refresh ratio :P 

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

The thing is also the market and I agree with what has been said. 

AAA games, especially console exclusives just have the bigger budget. 

Look at the recent Detroit for example.

Say what you want about David Cage games, but the game on base PS4 has a stellar presentation. And does that at native 1080p running of a tablet cpu and a 7870 equivalent gpu.

That is impressive! 

You just don't see that level of polish and optimization on pc games these days because the market is not appealing to big studios. 

You either have competitive games on pc or big studio productions based on loot boxes. 

Or you have ports based of console games, because that is what developers from big studios prioritize. 

And for pc, you just can't optimize for the hardware like on consoles.

Just to many variables. 

They just to presets like low to ultra and that's it. 

A game like horizon or God of war is optimized inside out for the console hardware to always look the best it can. 

On 5/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, kokakolia said:

I just hate how I spent over $1000 to build a gaming PC with a GTX1060, and I am not really gaming on it that much. And the games I play are so light anyways.

Well, that's why games have Minimum/Recommended system requirements prominently shown on their store pages. This way system builders get a general idea what kinda system they need to build to run these games. 

Either way, I have good news for you. Due to all the bitcoin miners, even used graphics cards sell really well nowadays. You can get sell your 1060, buy a cheap graphics card that fits the recommended specs for the games you play, and knock yourself out. 

I personally upgrade my components once every 4-5 years, and generally aim to use a component as long as I can (I live in a poor country). So for me, having a too-strong computer right now isn't a problem as I want it to be as strong as possible so I can keep gaming on it without upgrading for years in the future. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 5/27/2018 at 7:01 PM, kokakolia said:

Yes! The car analogy is so perfect because many people buy trucks and SUVs when then don’t need the off-road capabilities.

Both of those vehicle types are typically chosen for their storage capacity.

It's also a bad analogy because a 4 banger sedan will never be able to do what a 4 banger truck was built to do.

Whereas most games play on low end hardware pretty well with a simple settings adjustment. The high end can only do what the low end does, just better.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Giganthrax said:

Well, that's why games have Minimum/Recommended system requirements prominently shown on their store pages. This way system builders get a general idea what kinda system they need to build to run these games. 

Either way, I have good news for you. Due to all the bitcoin miners, even used graphics cards sell really well nowadays. You can get sell your 1060, buy a cheap graphics card that fits the recommended specs for the games you play, and knock yourself out. 

I personally upgrade my components once every 4-5 years, and generally aim to use a component as long as I can (I live in a poor country). So for me, having a too-strong computer right now isn't a problem as I want it to be as strong as possible so I can keep gaming on it without upgrading for years in the future. 

It’s not that bad because the difference between $500 and $1000 kinda evens out in the long run. I also don’t see my Core i5 6400 becoming obsolete anytime soon. I just see myself upgrading my GPU 8 years down the road. It might not even be necessary. Tech hasn’t evolved much in the past 5 years it seems.

In short mods unlocked fps upgradability textures price of games comfort of just downloading them from steam which is way cheaper than the console CDs.

AMD Ryzen 3 1300x @3.9 ghz

Asus prime b-350 motherboard

16 GB Corsair vengeance ddr4 ram @2400 MHz

4 tb hhd

Samsung 240 GB SSD

MSI gtx 1060 6 GB OC @2.0 ghz

Corsair Vs 550 PSU

Chiptonex gx1000 V2 witch addition 3 front RGB Corsair fans 2 Corsair RGB fans at top and the inbuilt one at the back

Logitech g502 spectrum RGB mouse

Razer cynosa chroma RGB keyboard 

Prism 63391 RGB mouse pad

Readgear gmaing headset

Samsung 75hz 1440p curved monitor 

You can run old games on new pc but u can't run a ps2 game on a PS4.

4 tb hhd

Samsung 240 GB SSD

Corsair Vs 550 PSU

Chiptonex gx1000 V2 witch addition 3 front RGB Corsair fans 2 Corsair RGB fans at top and the inbuilt one at the back

Readgear gmaing headset

On 14/05/2018 at 2:34 AM, App4that said:

That's no where near a Xbox One X LOL, you need at least a 580 or 1060. 

It's ok just get a350 bucks 1060 6 GB which would cost extra 250 dollars so it makes it 530 dollars

4 tb hhd

Samsung 240 GB SSD

Corsair Vs 550 PSU

Readgear gmaing headset