Waterpump Making Stuttering / Clicking Noises

Go to solution Solved by AngryBeaver,
15 minutes ago, Evilfurz said:

Is there any way I could get the pump to operate at its intended speed, instead of my CPU temp?

You could just set the fan header to 100% all the time in the Bios probably. 

A while back the pump for my swiftech H320 x2 cooling system began making obnoxious stuttering and clicking noises during operation.

If I use a special loop testing switch for my 24pin cable the system runs with a soothing hum, however operating with the 24pin connected to the motherboard the pump makes the aforementioned obnoxious noises. Has anyone had an issue like this before, or perhaps offer some insight on what might be causing it.

2 minutes ago, rodrosenberg said:

I don't know that unit right off the top of my head but is it connected to the mobo at all like with PWM or just straight 12v 

The pump itself is connected to and powered by a single SATA power cable.

16 minutes ago, Evilfurz said:

I'd try to do the following:

- Rule out it is not the AIO.

Since the problem is when the system is running, its important to rule out its not something else that is rattling. For a short while it should be find to turn the system on without the pump running, so I would recommend just getting into the BIOS and see to make sure it is 100% the pump.

- Try a different SATA power outlet from the PSU

AFAIK this is SATA powered? and so best to try a different SATA outlet to see if it is PSU related.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:48 AM, For Science! said:

I'd try to do the following:

- Rule out it is not the AIO.

Since the problem is when the system is running, its important to rule out its not something else that is rattling. For a short while it should be find to turn the system on without the pump running, so I would recommend just getting into the BIOS and see to make sure it is 100% the pump.

- Try a different SATA power outlet from the PSU

AFAIK this is SATA powered? and so best to try a different SATA outlet to see if it is PSU related.

Yes it is indeed SATA powered. I have tried using other various SATA power connections across various cables and the same noises occur. When I disconnect the power to the pump the noise ceases(due to the pump not spinning).

Under the same lighting conditions, the pump seems to spin at a slower speed when operating under normal conditions (24 pin ATX), than when I use that loop testing cable.

EDIT: Pump was spinning faster with 24pin ATX(2500 RPM), Slower speed(normal 1400?) with the tester.

2 hours ago, Evilfurz said:

Yes it is indeed SATA powered. I have tried using other various SATA power connections across various cables and the same noises occur. When I disconnect the power to the pump the noise ceases(due to the pump not spinning).

Under the same lighting conditions, the pump seems to spin at a slower speed when operating under normal conditions (24 pin ATX), than when I use that loop testing cable.

If you are using a tester with pc off then the pump is by getting header information for pump speed and is running full out. When connected to motherboard it uses the CPU temp

17 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you are using a tester with pc off then the pump is by getting header information for pump speed and is running full out. When connected to motherboard it uses the CPU temp

Is there any way I could get the pump to operate at its intended speed, instead of my CPU temp?

15 minutes ago, Evilfurz said:

12 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Thank you so much, I had not even considered checking the fan header info in the BIOS.

The pump was spinning at 2500 RPM, I dropped it down to 15%(1400 RPM). Now it runs with a nice soothing hum.

3 minutes ago, Evilfurz said:

Thank you so much, I had not even considered checking the fan header info in the BIOS.

The pump was spinning at 2500 RPM, I dropped it down to 15%(1400 RPM). Now it runs with a nice soothing hum.

Just be careful not to go to low. If your flow is too slow then the water won't circulate fast enough to be efficient.