Can i connect two routers with a switch inbetween?

Hi

I live in a three story house where the modem is in the 3rd floor an i have a router connected to it. The thing is that the WiFi doesnt reach the first floor, so my plan is to route a cable down there and connect a router to the other end. But i found out that the second router doesnt support gigabit ethernet and i have a 500 mb/s line and i want full speed on my computer. So i thought that if i put a switch and put the second router to the switch together with the computer.

Modem>1st router>cable downstairs>switch>second router+computer.

Will this work?

the second router needs to be able to function as an access point. lower end routers don't usually have this functionality. you could pick up a stand alone wireless access point for under $80 us from a reputable company like ubiquity as long as you dont need wireless AC connectivity.

the switch to the PC should work fine though. 

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

the second router needs to be able to function as an access point. lower end routers don't usually have this functionality. you could pick up a stand alone wireless access point for under $80 us from a reputable company like ubiquity as long as you dont need wireless AC connectivity.

the switch to the PC should work fine though. 

Will a Asus RT-ac750 work?

3 minutes ago, Teqwuila said:

Will a Asus RT-ac750 work?

It looks like the WAN port is also 10/100.  So, you're not going to get higher speeds than 10/100 (wireless); I don't think adding in the switch would change anything other than provide gigabit Ethernet ports for the first floor.

On 4/24/2018 at 12:50 PM, Teqwuila said:

Hi

I live in a three story house where the modem is in the 3rd floor an i have a router connected to it. The thing is that the WiFi doesnt reach the first floor, so my plan is to route a cable down there and connect a router to the other end. But i found out that the second router doesnt support gigabit ethernet and i have a 500 mb/s line and i want full speed on my computer. So i thought that if i put a switch and put the second router to the switch together with the computer.

Modem>1st router>cable downstairs>switch>second router+computer.

Will this work?

Short answer is yes but it will need proper configuration

Seems like a lot of effort to keep using a wireless ac router with 10/100 ports. That's a product that shouldn't exist. Toss it in the scrap heap and buy a decent access point with 1000 port.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/