Tech trends that annoy you

Mooshi

Yes, you can make this a 100+ page thread about ranting about micro-USB, but I'd rather you not. :P

Topic is straight forward, list off trends in tech that annoy you to the point of wanting it or the concept to die in fire.

For me, it's this.

20072306239l.jpg

The 20+4 connector. I loathe seeing these things on new power supplies so much. First off, they are a pain to align properly and then there is inserting the thing. If your motherboard is using a 20 pin connection, upgrade your damn hardware, don't shove a break-out on the rest of us with normal motherboards!

Wearable tech. That, for some reason, annoys the ever living hell out of me. I like smart watches (though the naming is stupid imo) but things like Google Glass and Microsoft's Smart Bra are just plain stupid and are poor implementations of ideas. The Smart Bra is flat out dumb though.

Horrible PSU pin outs with 2 wires in a pin.

@marto

Oh, and also colored PCBs. Eww.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Color schemes that don't match like this

HIS_Radeon_R9_290X_IceQ_X2_Turbo_02.jpg

Gold+Blue what the heck HIS? Also can't stand the blue pcbs on video cards since it's a shade that doesn't exactly match up with darker blues on other parts.

On topic of gpu coolers I can't stand the look of the semi-transparent coolers

EVGA_GeForce_GTX_780_Ti_Classified_KINGP

Anything that has glossy material in it.

mac_pro_vase.jpg

Like this stupid looking thing. Seriously Apple? Looks like a glossy garbage can.

Build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/47209-my-350d/#entry625528

Intel i7-4770k I Corsair H100i I  Asus Z87 Gryphon Geforce GTX 780 I Corsair 16GB Vengeance memory I x2 120GB Samsung 840 in RAID 0 & 2TB Seagate Corsair 350D Silverstone 750w 80+ Gold I

Silverstone Tek PP07 Cable Sleeving I Asus Xonar STX 

hdmi on everything, 

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Microsoft smart bra....

Galaxy gear...<------load of flipping bs.

I don't quite like the look of the Oculus Rift. It looks tacky and bulky.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

The push for higher resolutions on tablets and phones when 1440p  monitors are still unaffordable to the general consumer (other than the Korean monitors, which general consumers don't buy).

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

PLASTIC

I want everything to be metal (steel & aluminum) or glass everything. EVERYTHING. 

On the topic of PSUs, I hate flat ribbon cables. They're nice and black and all, but I want individually sleeved cables stock. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

How every phone except Apple uses micro USB. I can hardly charge my phone because I like step and it moves the charger and stops charging.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

PLASTIC

I want everything to be metal (steel & aluminum) or glass everything. EVERYTHING. 

On the topic of PSUs, I hate flat ribbon cables. They're nice and black and all, but I want individually sleeved cables stock. 

You know, plastic exists for a reason besides being cheap... Like weight for instance.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I strongly dislike glossy surfaces (eg. plastic) unless they're glass or something of the like.

You know, plastic exists for a reason besides being cheap... Like weight for instance.

Don't care. the iPhone 5s is made of glass and metal and weighs a little more than 110g. That's light. The HTC One is only around 5 oz. I'll take higher build quality and higher weight any day of the week over plastic. 

Another thing I hate: small and tinny speakers on phones and tablets. Only Samsung (Nexus 10) and HTC have bucked this trend with front facing speakers. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

netbooks when they exited and also now since i had to deal whit one shitty as toshiba netbook that has the shittiest atom CPU EVER >:(

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

For me its anything really basic like what is better AMD or Intel or AMD and nVidia. Stuff like that annoys me or even when its something so common a 5 second google search could have solved it but they post it on a forum.

This is more of a software trent

I hate vine and instagram, everything has been plagues with yolo, swag and hashtags, I can bet that over 90 percent of these people don't even know what hashtags mean.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

netbooks when they exited and also now since i had to deal whit one shitty as toshiba netbook that has the shittiest atom CPU EVER > :(

Intel Atoms are the worst. I swear my ancient Pentium 4 had better responsiveness..

Don't care. the iPhone 5s is made of glass and metal and weighs a little more than 110g. That's light. The HTC One is only around 5 oz. I'll take higher build quality and higher weight any day of the week over plastic. 

Another thing I hate: small and tinny speakers on phones and tablets. Only Samsung (Nexus 10) and HTC have bucked this trend with front facing speakers. 

I can agree with the small speakers, It just doesn't bother me because I use the speaker on my phone almost never.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

Intel Atoms are the worst. I swear my ancient Pentium 4 had better responsiveness..

no shit the first time i had to deal whit that crap i felt going back in terms of performance and to top it up its toshiba that it has a bunch of bloatware. god how i hate that thing can't wait to the day the battery dies or the cpu fries since it my mom's PC and use it on its bed blocking any vents. TBH i can't believe it has survived this long 5 years running like a fucking heater on its palm and still lives hopefully i can replace it whit an ultrabook when it dies :)

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Nvidia with VRAM, it is so little and when it is high they get bottlenecked by the bit rate. PCBs that aren't black

How about Dark brown PCBs?Or only matte black is good?

Smart phones

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Smart phones

so you want flip phones and buttons again?

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled