(Updated) AMD Navi GPU to Offer GTX 1080 Class Performance at ~$250 Report Claims

Ryujin2003
1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

They are expanding. The Radeon Graphics division is operating in the green. 

Just wait for next q's results, I think you will see when mining tapers/ed off their cards will be sitting around.

Right now Vega at XMR mining, XMR and those coins are not very profitable right now. ETN is down to 75% from its high back in Dec.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

No, they don't. AMD is not currently able to compete at the high end. Wanting them to do so just means that AMDs cards will be bad across the board. 

They have to be good at the midrange cards before they can be good at making High end cards. R&D money does not come out of nowhere. 

And they aren't good in gaming in the midrange right now man.

Where do you think most cards are sold?

They are sold by OEM's and system builders. 

They will gladly sell the same price 1060 vs a 580 any day, because of the power consumption and cooling needs of a 580.  We are looking at same performance cards but at a cost to these companies.  They need beefier power supplies and coolers, the same ones that a gtx 1070 or 1080 if we are talking about overclocked variants will need!

You can say it doesn't matter to you as an end users but that is your personal choice, you want that performance and the other metrics don't matter.   But for people that are selling millions of systems with these devices in them, 5 bucks here or there means a lot of money.

2 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Just wait for next q's results, I think you will see when mining tapers/ed off their cards will be sitting around

They don't have any cards sitting around. 

AMD never increased production in any significant amounts and for good reason. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Just wait for next q's results, I think you will see when mining tapers/ed off their cards will be sitting around.

Right now Vega at XRM mining, XRM and those coins are not very profitable right now. ETN is down to 75% from its high back in Dec.

I'm not so sure about that. Apple is gobbling up huge amounts of vega cards for their upcoming pro computers. Intel is pushing Kaby Lake G, and the semi custom business is going great. Especially if PS5 releases next year. The pro market seems to be getting better too.

Only the discrete consumer cards might have an issue, but only as long as greedy outlets push the prices past MSRP.

Do bear in mind, I'm mostly talking about the 500 series, not Vega.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

And they aren't good in gaming in the midrange right now man.

The RX 580 beats a 1060, an RX 570 is a hell of a value. Or they were, at MSRP. 

Once mining took off the 400/500 lines got bought by miners, but the gamers were still buying those cards before mining because they are great cards and will continue to buy them if pricing returns to normal. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Notional said:

I'm not so sure about that. Apple is gobbling up huge amounts of vega cards for their upcoming pro computers. Intel is pushing Kaby Lake G, and the semi custom business is going great. Especially if PS5 releases next year. The pro market seems to be getting better too.

Only the discrete consumer cards might have an issue, but only as long as greedy outlets push the prices past MSRP.

Apple sells around 100 million dollars worth of graphics cards in all their systems, its not much ;)

There was a Hexus article about this a year and half ago.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

The RX 580 beats a 1060, an RX 570 is a hell of a value. Or they were, at MSRP. 

Once mining took off the 400/500 lines got bought by miners, but the gamers were still buying those cards before mining because they are great cards and will continue to buy them if pricing returns to normal. 

Bull shit, I mean I had over 36 AMD rigs rx 580's, and no problem with getting more at that time,  when mining boomed, I sold them off at double the price I got them for and switched over to nV rigs 73 of them total.  All this happened prior to December where mining was hot from Apirl/March of last year till end of December this year.  There were peaks and valleys along the way but supply was no problem till mid December, the memory supply issues are much more relevant to what happened with GPU supply than mining.

Apple sells around 100 million dollars worth of graphics cards in all their systems, its not much ;)

That is valuable business partnerships which Nvidia does not have. AMD is also making inroads into the Pro market not only with Radeon but with TR for their CPU division. 

You can't write off the AMD and Apple partnership if you know the scale that the Radeon Division is operating at. 

3 minutes ago, Razor01 said:

Their pro trash can computer was also stupidly obsolete and overpriced back then.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Razor01 said:

Bull shit,

Them just the numbers. 

Just now, Notional said:

Their pro trash can computer was also stupidly obsolete and overpriced back then.

Apple only has certain amount of market share when it comes to computers, and desktops are where they are the weakest at lol.

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Them just the numbers. 

Yeah the numbers, I buy direct from AIB's, I know what I can get and at what time.  Prior to the memory supply issues even with the mining craze going full swing, if I did a bulk order I knew I could get GPU's in about a month of my order.

Apple only has certain amount of market share when it comes to computers, and desktops are where they are the weakest at lol.

Of course. Their trash can is like 6 years old now and hasn't been updated. They still do all in one computers though. But that is a small market still.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They don't have any cards sitting around. 

AMD never increased production in any significant amounts and for good reason. 

AMD didn't do anything to offset the mining craze, they sat back and profited from crypto. Nvidia increased production somewhat,their cards are cheaper in comparison,even when prices are still a bit inflated. AMD has tons of cards sitting around if you go look at Newegg RX580's, and they just re-branded them as "X" cards to dump off some supply onto the OEM market.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Everyone fell for the Vega hype and it under delivered. If AMD can deliver 1080 performance for around $200 then great but they're probably kinda late as Nvidia will have something that does even better in the $200-250 range. Apple is like 10% of the computer market at best, AMD doesn't profit much from console chips, and KabyLake-G isn't really Vega, while it helps AMD it isn't really enough.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

It was not obsolete for the tasks it was designed to do. 

Apple says that they interpreted the use case of the Mac Pro incorrectly and it was the form factor that held it back. Which is why they are moving to AMDs high end cards, not just the Pro cards (Vega in the iMac Pro) and are moving back to a modular design like the G5 style Mac Pro. 

Just now, Jack_of_all_Trades said:

No,no,no , none of this hype train anymore. Pretty sure we had something similar with the 56 and 64 coming out and that didn't exactly turn out bad but because of the fucking hype train people were disappointed even thought the 56 was damn close to a 1070 in performance and price.

Member when 2 crossfire 580's were supposed to beat a titan or something like that ? Get off the hype train, the final destination is always station disappointment !

Well as long as it doesn't go up to gtx 1080ti performance levels, then I'll be selling tickets to the hype train

znusa7e.jpg.7b41f9de9cdcaa1cc54e78ed4ef00d72.jpg

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

By chance did you watch the AdoredTV video?

Because that guy hates NVIDIA and Intel with a passion.

Yes, i did. And i know hates those. Therefore i take what he says with a grain of salt. He does make some goodpoints however

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

That is valuable business partnerships which Nvidia does not have. AMD is also making inroads into the Pro market not only with Radeon but with TR for their CPU division. 

You can't write off the AMD and Apple partnership if you know the scale that the Radeon Division is operating at. 

100 million vs nV's what 2.5 billion dollars per quarter, we are talking maybe 5% here if we are over estimate.

Yeah I can write it off when we look at it like that.  I'm sure Apple is getting GPU's from because of AMD's desperation too, low margins and squeezing the crap out of them as Apple does to all its partners.  The flip side is, they don't also care about nV products because, they cost more for them to get into their systems, and OpenCL performance is not as good on nV products as AMD's, which is something they need.

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Yes, i did. And i know hates those. Therefore i take what he says with a grain of salt. He does make some goodpoints however

grain of salt.  There is no amount of salt in the world to cover up the BS he spews at times ;)

15 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

I don't really buy his argument that just because it's a X04 GPU means it's "midrange." What, because of the number of shaders? We may as well call a Core i7-8700K an entry level processor because Intel has 28C/56T processors.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I don't really buy his argument that just because it's a X04 GPU means it's "midrange." What, because of the number of shaders? We may as well call a Core i7-8700K an entry level processor because Intel has 28C/56T processors.

Yep its all relative to where they land in the market when it comes to their capabilities. 

If we look back to when the performance segment was made, which was Maxwell, they delivered enthusiast level performance at less cost. a gtx 980 was the same performance as a 780ti at less cost.  The 970 was priced at upper mid level.  With Pascal that changed a bit because now the 1070's performance was as good as previous gen 980ti so its price reflected that one tier down in price.

It's only been 9 hours and there's already 6 pages.  Who thought posting a rumor was a good idea?

EDIT:  This post just made the 7th page.

everytime AMD puts out a new card this kind of rumor starts off

kinds of boring by now isnt it?????????????????????????????????

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

9 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

So, according to WCCF Tech (insert salt as desired for taste), AMD's Navi is looking to produce GTX 1080 performance for its mainstream card, but this won't be until 2019. This will replace their current mainstream card, the RX580, and will apparently provide GTX 1080 performance for approximately $250. If this is true, that would be very cool. If they were able to drastically improve their mainstream card performance and still have gas left in the tank to provide enthusiast cards that will be competitive against Nvidia's next GPU lineup, then AMD could still be in business..... Though, I'm not too sure of the price point. I feel like it'll have to cost more in order for them to offset research and such. Otherwise, the price could be believable because for that performance at that price mark (assuming Nvidia's next lineup cannot perform the same at that price point), they would probably steal a huge market share from Nvidia (for about 2 weeks until Nvidia panic produces something in response /s).

This article refers to Navi as the Ryzen of GPUs. And as such, just remember the hype-train that came with Ryzen. However, even with that comparison, if Navi is like Ryzen, it'll hopefully bring back some competition.... Now.. If only to eliminate miners before the release of future GPUs, so that a $250 card doesn't cost $800 on Newegg/Amazon....

Many (not the majority) of consumers will be letdown due to the lack of response from AMD with the soon to be release of Nvidia GPUs. AMD has been focusing and dedicating a lot of time on Navi, so I'm really hoping they nail this. There is a lot of pressure on them to start being more competitive with Nvidia's offerings.

It would be very beneficial for AMD if they are able to release BOTH desktop and mobile variants of their GPU at the same time. This would definitely increase profits rather quickly, as long as they don't run in to the cliff dive response of supply like they did with Vega.

Even with the release of Ryzen, AMD focused on the "scalability" of their product. It would definitely be interesting to see if this method works well in the GPU space. I wonder if they will have "infinity fabric" or "denim" or whatever the fabric is going to be called... fabric limitations with the interconnected dies on a Navi 20, similar to what has been explained with Ryzen. However, with faster memory than DDR4, this could possibly be mitigated.

WCCFTech also states that they will be releasing another article for another AMD GPU adventure. They didn't give specifics, but their chart has AMD 600 series for 2018, under the Vega architecture..... So, I guess they ran out of salt, and had to run by the mine to grab some more. So, that one will have to wait.

From the original report on Fudzilla:

Ii am hoping that Navi is very competitive, but I will not hold my breath. I've been teased enough to know not to get excited until I actually see what this can perform... And even after that, contain my excitement until I can actually get hands on a non-reference unit. Of course, the wait will be near infinite. Maybe AMD knows what they are doing, and are doing something very well calculated.... or.... they might just flop, and give up even more to NVidia.

(Update) So, due to some of the comments I've heard from some online YouTube personalities about how this is horrible because GTX 1080 be inept with Nvidia's future release, and how AMD is falling behind and laying everyone down..

So, according to PCGamesN, the Navi cards should be estimated between the 1060 and 1070 replacement cards from Nvidia, which doesn't make Navi seem that bad. And if that is the case, and the scalability and architecture design for memory works out, you could potentially get a card between the **60 and **70, with potential pricing that could definitely make AMD's offerings much moar appealing.

Again, it's hard to throw hate and salt either direction based on an unverified and immeasurable rumor.

Original Sources:

https://wccftech.com/rumor-amd-navi-mainstream-gpu-to-have-gtx-1080-class-performance/

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/46038-amd-navi-is-not-a-high-end-card

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-navi-mainstream-gpu

Questiom, what is a Navi? Polaris and Vega are the Northstars, Tonga, Fiji and Hawaii are islands. What is Navi?

15 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Questiom, what is a Navi? Polaris and Vega are the Northstars, Tonga, Fiji and Hawaii are islands. What is Navi?

This little shit:

navi__hey__listen__by_cmorigins-d5bxxl7.

However some would have you believe it's these people:

Just messing with you. It's a star. Also known as Gamma Cassiopeiae.